Going out in Brixton!

Man of Honour
My mate got stabbed in the face by a broken bottle in the very area you claim as safe, very nearly lost his eye, and will have a circular scar on his face for the rest of his life, cos some teens didn't apparently like the way he brushed them off when they asked him to lend him a dollar ! followed by a kissing teeth sound.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your friend - however that honestly could have happened anywhere, singling out Brixton is a little unfair. There are incidents of violent crime all over London unfortunately. Though if you believe what you read The numbers are coming down.

These were just teens 15-16 perhaps. No doubt from one of the deprived council estates on that area with no real aspirations in life.

Who knows? You may well be right or it could be something altogether different.

As a kid growing up, i spent a lot of time in Brixton, cos my mum worked just off the high street. So when i hung out there, i got a good feel for the area. The kids there were generally very rough. From the hard knocks in life. Some are now most undoubtedly in prison for violent crimes.

It certainly was a poorer part of London for sure, but it's come a long way and is a melting hot pot of cultures and arts and media now, I dare say it has changed somewhat.

Black or white, the kids there are / were rough. Much as they are in the inner cities rough areas of New York or LA. These places don't have a rep for nothing.

Could the above happen in other area's of the country / city? Of course. But as a probability, when the place is listed as socially and economically deprived, crime rates soar and danger is always only ever around the corner.

London is not comparable to the dump that is LA. Furthermore, since 9/11 NY has become a lot safer too. London though is a reasonably decent place as long as you have your head screwed on well. Like any city it has rough spots and has bad periods in time, however whilst you're not wrong about perhaps Briton having a shady past it has changed, but like any other happening place there is always a bit of a dark shadow looming behind it.

That being said, the rough places in USA do make the Brixton hardnuts seem like a bunch of softies, such as Camden NJ. You go there and you'd think you're in a war zone, with the amount of burnt out cars and derelict buildings.. One after the other. A real eye opener.

That we agree on 100%. Having had an unpleasant experience in south central LA I know that some of those places are rough rough rough.

I think whilst Brixton has suffered bad press deservedly in the past it certainly isn't the deprived place it used to be. Anyway like any city you need to be street wise. :)

Soldato
A large portion of my nights out are in Brixton as some friends live there. I've never had a problem and I'm a scrawny little nerd with glasses, hardly a big bruiser that will deter potential attackers. The friends that live there are 20-something year old women who, in the three years they've been there, have never had a problem.

Brixton isn't any worse than the majority of London these days.

Caporegime
as with any areas similar in britain or any where in the world there will be issues just use common sense.

most places as long as u arnt starting something provoking you will be fine. some people will always be unlucky and be involved with incidents but that is just being unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Consigliere
I live on a great road 5mins away from Clapham North tube station and a 10min walk away from Brixton.

Both great areas depending on whether you want a cocktail/drunken high street session or a grimey indie/bit more alternative night out.

Brixton has this stigma attached to it that doesn't truly represent what it's like now. Yeah we all know it was bad before but some parts are great...same about any place really.

Soldato
Well I made it back in one peice! But it was as dodgy as I though it was going to be.

Loads of shifty looking people wondering wondering around offering all manor of drugs!

I lived in leafy Maidenhead located in the royal county of Berkshire a few years ago. Drug availability there was sky high there too.

Go figure.

Associate
Stumbled across this thread whilst searching for another one and it's hilarious.

I have lived in Brixton for 4 years now and I have never seen or experienced anything even close to resembling a threat or trouble. Sure, I understand in the past it has had troubles, but now it's absolutely fine - in fact my favourite part of London.

There are so many amazing venues for live music, decent clubs, bars, pubs and tons of places to eat including Brixton Village.

I'm guessing the scaremongerers in this thread have either never been here, or at least not in the last 20 years.

Soldato
Iv been there a few times to the fridge nightclub back in the day when they run hardhouse and hard trance events, also to the acadmy again for hard dance events, was literally out a cab, car, trainstation and queued to get in places, went to cash point, mc donalds

I didntnt experience any issues, although one new years on one of the club events whilst walking to a club there was this religious looking nut shouting and making some sort of statement that the world was going to end and what was going to happen to us

Man of Honour
Elephant and castle was rougher from my recollection!

Just like anywhere, keep your wits about you and you'll be fine. There are some very shady characters about though.

Caporegime
Brixton has a buzzing night life. I live in Streatham Hill and often go there for a few drinks and dinner. Brixton Village is awesome but the market can leave a bit of a nasty smell of fish so it's best to go a bit late. The restaurants in there are all lovely, they all feel like you're dining in someone's kitchen.

I'm yet to witness or experience anything nasty in Brixton and I've been going there for 8 years, still do. Yes some characters might look shady but the majority of them are harmless. The place is full of drug dealers late at night though, so keep that in mind.

The Ritzy is a lovely cinema too.

Soldato
Yeah I used to live in Streatham Hill. Streatham High Road is / was miles dodgier than Brixton, which on the whole, is fine. Safety in numbers and all that.

Just don't go blacked up or sing the UKIP calypso. Basically, if you can help it, don't act like a dick.

Soldato
I've been out in Brixton a few times since last posting in this thread and have not had any problems or even seen anything dodgy. Definitely not as bad as it was years ago.

I did however see somebody get stabbed in the neck with a broken glass in a bar in Clapham a while back

Associate
Nothing wrong with Brixton. Some of the posts in this thread are ill-informed.

I live in Sydenham and often find myself out late in Brixton. Fantastic atmosphere with just a hint of edge. Like a night out anywhere when alcohol or recreational drug use is involved. Sticks and stones.
I feel far more threatened by youths when on nights out in Reading with friends who live in the area, than I do wherever I go out in London.

Soldato
Ive been out in Brixton, its fine. As long as you don't get drunk, stagger around with your phone out and keep dropping your wallet which is full of £50 notes you should be fine.
Same as other big cities

Back
Top Bottom