Is the Linux desktop experience really this bad?

Soldato
For the past week or so I've been trying to brush up on my Linux skills and refresh myself on a few things. To be honest, I'd forgotten how much I used to enjoy using Linux and most of the time it's been great.

But my word, is the general desktop experience really this bad, or is it just me?

I'm using Ubuntu (because it's the obvious friendly choice) and the 12.04 LTS release because I don't need or want anything fancy. I just want it to work. So far, I've been disappointed.

This is a fresh, fully patched 12.04 install with only the odd bit of software installed from the Ubuntu repo. I didn't like gnome 3 so I switched to v2, and then eventually xfce because it runs better on the laptop I'm using. That's the most drastic change I've made to put my usage into context.

As part of the work I'm doing I need to hop on the web and take some notes in a word processor, but I'm increasingly finding even this basic scenario a chore.

For starters, the WiFi is flaky and keeps dropping out. Now I know this and wireless networking in general used to be a nightmare. Believe me, I've been there replacing network adapters with ones that are known to be supported. I'm slightly disappointed it still seems to be an issue but to be honest I'm just glad it's sort of working. I can live with keep reconnecting.

What I can't live with are applications crashing and taking my work with them. Abiword for example decided to quit randomly last night and I lost about half a page of notes. I wasn't about to be caught with my pants down again so I reduced the auto save interval down to 1 minute. Lo and behold it crashed again later on.

So I ended up switching to Libre office which, touch wood, hasn't crashed on me so far. But the spell checker doesn't work. And that's kind of the crux of my point; there's always SOMETHING.

Now I know what you might be thinking - hardware, right? Disk comes up clean and the memory completes multiple memtest passes. I've even run debsums to check the package integrity. All fine.

I guess my question is, is this normal? Because I can't bring myself to believe that somebody using Linux as their day-to-day OS would put up with this. I know some will suffer for their cause but this would surely test the patience of even the biggest advocate.

Am I alone in this? Was my logic flawed and I chose the wrong distro? :o

Soldato
I didn't have much luck either. I tried 12.04 because it is the Long Term Support version which I thought would be more stable. I got a crash within 10 minutes of use. Then loads of little things didn't work either. I updated and patched and installed new drivers and got it mostly working great, but I just wasn't happy with it. Just letting it run over night often caused issues and somethings just crashed regularly so I just ignored them.

In the end, gave up on it. The out-of-the-box experience is very poor.

Man of Honour
I've never found Linux that satisfying to use as a desktop environment, I've used Debian and CentOS, etc. tons in a server environment and quite happy with that but whenever I've had a go at building a desktop theres been way too many drawbacks to ever actually use it over just about anything else - even building my own setup based around a stripped down hand rebuilt kernel and a customised window manager based on fluxbox.

Associate
I must admit, I'm surprised that your experience has been quite so bad! I installed linux mint 14 on a five year old q9300 based system for my twelve year old son recently - he's just developing the computer itch :) - and he's not managed to break it yet, despite quite a lot of trying...

Mint 14 is based on ubuntu 12.10, so perhaps the 12.04 release was just slightly dodgy...

Man of Honour
I've only recently started playing with it properly as a desktop environment (I've used various server distros for years) and I've found it to be surprisingly non-cack with Mint 14 Cinnamon. Some of your issues sound like a dodgy install or dodgy hardware to be honest.

Soldato
OP
Hardware has been running Windows pretty much flawlessly for years, and I even went to the effort of testing the disk and memory just to be sure. Hash was checked for the install media. Not sure what else I can do to be honest, it's not like I haven't given it a fair try.

Tried Linux Mint a few years ago with mixed success. I've always seen it as the slick option, which is not necessarily what I want. I want basic and stable. But I could be wrong.

To one of the comments above, is Ubuntu really notorious for crashing? If that's true then I'm more ignorant than I realise because I've never had that impression.

I've almost given up on my plan to buy a cheap ThinkPad and run Linux on it full time. I can't justify the cost given my experience so far (and thanks to those chipping in that I'm not alone in my frustrations)

I think I might just buy a Raspberry Pi instead. If I'm going to spend half my time mucking around I may as well do it properly at a fraction of the cost.

Associate
I moved over to kubuntu 13.04 full time from windows 8 for nearly a month now, haven't had any big crash problems apart from the AMD Catalyst drivers giving me a daily Xorg hang, moved to the open source radeon drivers and it's been solid since then.

power handling isn't as good the proprietary drivers though, dynamic power switching doesn't work as i have dual screen so manually switch from mid to high when playing games, the fan is a little louder though.

no luck with hibernate, randomly fail to hibernate properly or unable to restore so gave up on it.
with sleep the computer randomly turned itself on, at 4am not happy so don't use it.

luckly linux is quick to startup and shutdown so i do that from now on.

moving from windows to linux is a rediscovery, finding new ways to do things you've got used to in windows.
i love the ability to script, so much you can do with it also conky is very nice.

Associate
I've never found Linux that satisfying to use as a desktop environment, I've used Debian and CentOS, etc. tons in a server environment and quite happy with that but whenever I've had a go at building a desktop theres been way too many drawbacks to ever actually use it over just about anything else - even building my own setup based around a stripped down hand rebuilt kernel and a customised window manager based on fluxbox.

I'm in the same boat. For hosting certain services Linux rocks, in the desktop area though I just can't get on with it. Ubuntu has done some great stuff to Linux in recent years even if the OS is starting to feel bloated.

Soldato
Definitely sounds like poor hardware compatibility. Just because the hardware is error free or Windows runs fine doesn't guarantee a flawless Linux experience.

Soldato
I use Ubuntu Server and it is great. Rock solid. Perhaps I should give one of the other distros a try for desktop usage sometime.

Clearly Ubuntu Desktop has gone out of favour.

Soldato
Running Xubuntu 13.04 dualboot with Windows 7 and it's working great for me.

I would definately suggest using 13.04 instead of 12.04, there have been a lot of improvements in the last year!

Soldato
OP
Tried Debian, and although my wireless adapter was recognised by the installer it would not accept my key.

So then I tried Fedora. Cue further wireless adapter problems.

So anyway I've dug out an ethernet cable and currently sitting through a net install for Debian again. I'm hoping I can get the wireless working retrospectively.

Soldato
OP
It was seeing all the SSIDs in range, it was just rejecting my password for some reason (and no, it wasn't user error) ;)

Thankfully after an update/reboot it's working now. We'll see how it goes. After using Ubuntu I've noticed some little differences already, like ifconfig isn't in your user path.

Soldato
I am no linux expert, but I think ubuntu moved away from putting things in "traditional linux structures"

This is why I don't like ubuntu, that and unity, and all the bloat.

Debian is much better, although Arch and opensuse have grown on me.

Back
Top Bottom