Bike saddle wont fit?

Soldato
pUNERcg.jpg

My old saddle on the left. Took it off and tried to fit new one only to discover it's some stupid fitting I've never ever seen before.

I've had many bikes and only ever came across the dual rails.

It's a Velo saddle if that helps.

What's my options?

Soldato
OP
its an old style fitting.. how did you miss it when buying? new post or new saddle for you.

What's the old style?

The rail saddle is off a 10 year old bike and the big saddle was bought brand new a few days ago.

I ordered online and there was no images of the underside or even a mention of its fittings. I just presumed all saddles were dual rails and a clamp.

Soldato
What's the old style?

The rail saddle is off a 10 year old bike and the big saddle was bought brand new a few days ago.

I ordered online and there was no images of the underside or even a mention of its fittings. I just presumed all saddles were dual rails and a clamp.

should have said IMO.. i had that type of saddle on my russian bike like 15 years ago! :)

all modern bikes from what i can see come with dual rails.. but yeah you either need a new seat post or a new saddle and tbh that saddle looks like a pillow why would want it?

Soldato
OP
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/etc-steel-254mm-seatpost-silver-id26906.html

You need that style but in the correct diameter. It should be stamped on the old post you still have.

Not a massive range of sizes available so you may be stuck with the newer clamp style.

I'd stick with the old saddle as that is a joke.

I had a look and couldn't find the diameter. I'll whip out my measuring tape tomorrow.

The old saddle is like a G string on my backside. I did 4000 odd miles on the saddle 7-10 years ago. No idea how I managed it.

I took it out for a 6 mile run the other day and my rear is still agony from it, I couldn't even sit for more than 100 metres and had to stand up to ride.

I badly need a comfort saddle.

Soldato
i think you need to get used to it

padding IMO Doesn't equal comfortably.. my old velo saddle with ~3cm of padding is not as comfy as my new charge spoon that has like 10-20mm lol.

Soldato
I had a look and couldn't find the diameter. I'll whip out my measuring tape tomorrow.

The old saddle is like a G string on my backside. I did 4000 odd miles on the saddle 7-10 years ago. No idea how I managed it.

I took it out for a 6 mile run the other day and my rear is still agony from it, I couldn't even sit for more than 100 metres and had to stand up to ride.

You'll need calipers for an accurate measurement; seat posts go up in 0.2mm (note this isn't 2mm) increments.

Soldato
a saddle that wide is probably going to be even less comfortable, its going to push your hips out.

you need a post in the same style as that in post #5 but make sure you can find the right diameter. CRC probably have one.

GAC

GAC

Soldato

happens to all of us who'v had a break from cycling. just your body having a moan at doing something new again. give it a couple of weeks and it should be fine.

Soldato
a saddle that wide is probably going to be even less comfortable

This. Unless you're riding an upright shopping bike, you need to get your legs down the side of the saddle. A huge wide saddle like that is just going to force you to sit right on the nose of it so that you can turn the pedals.

You'd be better off with a proper saddle that fits you correctly and maybe some good quality padded shorts.
Go to a bike shop and see if they have a device for measuring your sit bones (i got it done in the alpinebikes near me) and then they will be able to recommend a saddle that fits properly.

Soldato
OP
I have another saddle on my rockhopper. I'll swap that over to the bike I'm using at the moment, hopefully it won't cause so much pain.

Just to add, my backside isn't as small as it was 8 years ago.

Can anyone point me to a larger saddle with the dual rails? I don't want to buy a seat post when I can just change the saddle. I'll return the above one.

I can't for the life of me find a larger saddle (doesnt need to be huge) with an image of the underside to see it fits.

Soldato
I purchased one of these when I first started cycling as an adult. I stopped using it after a few rides as it was hurting my hips. In fact, I may still have it somewhere - if I can find it, you're welcome to it.

Soldato
OP
I purchased one of these when I first started cycling as an adult. I stopped using it after a few rides as it was hurting my hips. In fact, I may still have it somewhere - if I can find it, you're welcome to it.

That's exactly what I'm after. I'm not using my mountain bike for mountain biking anymore, it's more of a commuter now. My aftermarket hydraulics are going to waste haha.

If you do find the saddle and I really hope you do. I'm more than happy to pay for it and at the very least goes without saying, pay for the postage.

Soldato
In case you don't get the message I sent via Trust, I've still got the saddle. If you'd like it, I'm willing to let you have it for free seeing as it's just gathering dust in my room. Send me your address via trust and I'll post it to you :)

Back
Top Bottom