• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth buying a 2700k now?

Associate
I am starting from nothing effectively. I have an old case, peripherals and a few other bits but that's it.

Would you say the 2700k is worth investing in right now?

PC will be used for gaming mostly but also design work (adobe) and some encoding.

Only reason I ask is because OCUK have said cpu for £225... which seems a reasonable price. Also given Haswells relatively lacklustre showing and premium.

Soldato
£225 is probably way too high though.

If you are building a system from scratch you could probably piece an IVB system for the same price. You'd still probably get a Z77 board if you were going Sandy Bridge anyway.

edit:

Will be good to see what prices you are getting for each system. SB vs IVB vs Haswell.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
£225 is probably way too high though.

If you are building a system from scratch you could probably piece an IVB system for the same price. You'd still probably get a Z77 board if you were going Sandy Bridge anyway.

True the 3770k is not too much more if you shop around. I suppose it would probably be the best bet. But then 4770k is only a bit more again! :)

Decisions. I suppose the latest tech is the way to go really.

Edit:

Z87 boards are generally looking more expensive at the moment though of course. I will price up the systems and see, hadn't thought of checking out the differences between the 3!

Edit 2:

So using just ocuk to compare prices. The build I was looking at came to the following prices with the various CPU's:

2700K - £1004.38 (With ASrock Extreme 4)
3770K - £1059.94 (With ASrock Extreme 4)
4770K - £1045.33 (With Gigabyte Z87-HD3)

I don't know if that gigabyte motherboard is any good, so the Haswell system may end up being more. But for ~£40 its probably best to get the latest right! :p

Last edited:
Associate
If it's a completely new build then I guess Haswell would be the best bet as it's the most recent.

From what I've read online though it does seem to require decent cooling if you're going to overclock, even more so than Ivybridge.

Because of the performance stagnating I doubt we will see any new retail bargain price chips (second hand you might get lucky). I wouldn't pay £200 plus for a chip that's two revisions old (no matter how good the chip is - there's many a smug 2500K/2700K owner right now :p ).

For only a little extra you can have Ivybridge even then I would wait a while as I think Haswell was one tock short of a tick (or is that the other way around?) and prices may not hold as well as Intel might hope.

Associate
The Ivybridge chips are dropping price at the moment, if you cant wait around for haswell snap one up.

If it was me, I'd buy a second hand sandy bridge, neither haswell nor ivybridge have anything on the sandybridges overclocking ability.

Associate
I've had a 2700k clocked at 4.6 from the day I put in 1.5 yrs ago.....never one problem with it. Pretty mild clock and it could do a lot more.

If it was my choice and I wanted to keep it cheap it would be a second hand 2700k as the performance difference after ocing is marginal/extra cost imo.

Associate
I thought £225 was cheap o_O then again I've never considered second hand components with maybe the exception of RAM. At the back of my mind I wonder people may sell it cos they don't OC well or something rather than they were upgrading or whatever :(

Associate
I thought £225 was cheap o_O then again I've never considered second hand components with maybe the exception of RAM. At the back of my mind I wonder people may sell it cos they don't OC well or something rather than they were upgrading or whatever :(

Most people here on the MM are honest when they give their reasons for upgrading. You can also just ask the seller how well it overclocked (I bought my 3770k from the MM and I asked this before buying) and most people will be honest as they don't want bad feedback for pretending it is a golden chip when it isn't. At least speaking for my CPU, it overclocks pretty much just like the seller described.

Associate
I like my 2700k, decent overclock too, but if I had to build a whole new system now (and liek yourself didnt have a pc already) - I'd probably opt for a newer cpu revision, at the very least because as youve seen, the difference in price isnt really substantial :)

Soldato
I don't see why anyone should have doubt's about buying a 2700K today, I think they're the best CPU out there right now in that price range...more than fast enough for anything now or in the next 2years as a minimum.

It clocks higher, runs cooler, uses less power...what's not to like.

You're going to get at least 2 years out of it, when Intel's next worthwhile CPU upgrade comes along, Skylake in 2015.

I'd snap one up today, if I were building a new rig...not impressed with these Haswells at all.

Associate
Most people here on the MM are honest when they give their reasons for upgrading. You can also just ask the seller how well it overclocked (I bought my 3770k from the MM and I asked this before buying) and most people will be honest as they don't want bad feedback for pretending it is a golden chip when it isn't. At least speaking for my CPU, it overclocks pretty much just like the seller described.

Yeah I don't doubt people on OcUk are dishonest but gotta reach that 1k post count first eh :p

Back
Top Bottom