*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S4 Thread ***

Soldato
I was on O2 with both phones

And sorry just to confirm, I'm not losing data (mobile internet) ... I'm completely losing mobile signal ... Can't even make phone calls

Soldato
Mine too has completely lost connection a couple of times since the last update on T-Mobile (XXUAME2) though it was fine before so it's the update not the phone. I just put it in airplane mode and back and it was fine. No big deal :) Probably related to EEs crappy network sharing which is... crappy!

Soldato
Think I might just speak to carphone warehouse and see if they can maybe extend the 28 day exchange period as I've made them aware of the issue... Then maybe next month if it gets worse or I decide to exchange it then I can

Will see what they say... Don't want to swap out my otherwise perfect phone if it is just an issue that can be sorted with an update

Thing is I don't remember having any big update yet, or any updates... I'm on O2

Associate
One thing that's annoying me. Many applications backup themselves or at least have a manual backup feature. These state they backup to your SD card. Sadly they are backing up to the internal SD card. Trying to make sure backups are on the correct external SD card is a pain in the ass!

Associate
rooting is super super easy so I don't see why you wouldn't, especially seeing as you can both cover your tracks for warranty easily enough and OEMs often don't seem to mind if you've done that sort of thing.

However, in answer to your question... I'd expect almost 0 chance of a decent wide supply of higher capacity versions, why would they? It's pretty niche and when generally speaking people are looking for the phone "free" this just means the networks make less money per connection.

Either way if you use the Apple scale (as apple are pretty much the only company still that has consumers prepared to a) pay and b) pay more per capacity and finally c) have a customer base who expect the choice) you'd likely be paying £100 more for a 32gb version and £200 for a 64gb.

given the fact you can root and trim your OS and use micro SD cards I'd see those costs, any costs frankly as a non starter.

EDIT: not sure if it matters but on my 16gb version running wanamlite (mildly modified stock rom so you retain all the useful touchwiz stuff) and a reduced apps apk I currently have just over 9gb available to me, I think thats entirely acceptable for a 16gb phone and I could easily get more by removing some bloat manually as I have root access.

Worth considering!

Thanks for the advice. I've gone with the 16gb S4 with a Samsung UHS1 64gb card.

I was all set to root it and then noticed that the update that had automatically gone on, had changed the kernel and baseband. Apparently the new baseband version (ending in MDM) is not rootable. Anyone know anything about this.:confused:

edit. Things are moving quickly - LINK

:)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One thing that's annoying me. Many applications backup themselves or at least have a manual backup feature. These state they backup to your SD card. Sadly they are backing up to the internal SD card. Trying to make sure backups are on the correct external SD card is a pain in the ass!

Welcome to the oldest bug in Android :p

Back
Top Bottom