• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth buying a 2700k now?

Soldato
I wouldnt buy anything 2nd hand off anyone off here or anywhere else. You never know what crap your getting.I always buy new.

This is a very safe community I think for buying secondhand. I'm not naive, but it's as good as your gonna get.

Plus unfortunately not everyone can afford new.

Caporegime
Ive had many succesful deals on members market, some of the secondhand kit ive purchased has outlasted a few newly bought items. Just this week purchased a 3770k for a lot less than full retail price, same for my second gtx 670.

Soldato
Based on ivy and haswell I think sandy is still a great buy.

Remember chips use to come out every 3-4 years with big jumps. Now the jumps are rubbish.

That's why buying a sandy now still makes a lot of sense. I've just gone sb-e.....

Associate
I'm not going to bother responding to Evga any more, he isn't worth my time.

As for the OP, I'd suggest trying to see if you can find a decent 2600k/2700k/3770k second hand (or perhaps new if there are any clearance specials coming up).
If buying new, at £225 for a 2700k, you may as well go with the 4770k just for the newer features and faster IPC (which makes up for the fact it can't reach the higher clockspeeds than SB can). One advantage of buying used is that you can get an idea from the previous owner of how well it overclocks.

Last edited:
Associate
Bad bell.

OP a 2700k with a nice overclock should last you a fair bit. Sandy is close to Ivy and Haswell hasn't improved it much. Overclocking variables lumps them all together, so go for whichever is cheapest. 8 threads on the 2700k sounds like a nice deal.

Soldato
To the OP, i would consider a 3570k or 3770k second hand. The performance difference is very small between haswell and ivybridge but from what i've seen haswell runs a lot hotter when overclocked. If you can pick up a second hand i5 or i7 for sub £120 or sub 150 respectively i would be chuffed! Coupled with a z77 board of course.

Man of Honour
Thread tidied.

Despite the behaviour of one individual I don't appreciate other members baiting and making situation worse. If anyone is behaving this way, please use the RTM system or contact a mod directly rather than taking matters in to your own hands and taking the thread off topic. It takes time to remove all the necessary posts.

thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the relevant replies, I would rather buy new I think.

The reason I was looking at sandy is because despite marginally lower performance and its age, it would hopefully have the advantage of clocking better, less heat and the price advantage.

Haven't thought more about it though if it's £40-50 difference when you are spending ~1k on a system I think I will just step up to Haswell and give it a go. It will be under water so should still be reasonable.

Soldato
Since you're not on a super tight budget, would prefer to buy new and are building a system from scratch - probably better buying the complete kit new off the shelf. Going SB/IB would save a few quid but you aren't just upgrading one component. It sounds like you've pretty much decided on new kit anyway.

Enjoy the build :)

Back
Top Bottom