Flatscreen sound is bit pants but....

Associate
I really don't want to be faffing round with multiple remotes, tv, amp etc

Tv is panny st50 plasma. Audio optical out is not variable. Will try rca cables tomorrow. Another strange one is when I watch something on an input eg. Usb stick, the optical sound output stops working. :confused:

All I want is to be able to adjust volume on separate speakers using tv remote

Associate
get a sound bar :)

plug optical out or HDMI from telly into soundbar, job done

I have a Sonos Playbar it uses my telly remote to change sound levels so no extra remote required

bit pricey and no DTS support at present but I'm happy with mine

Man of Honour
I have a Sonos Playbar it uses my telly remote to change sound levels so no extra remote required
That's because the Playbar of smart features built in to the Sonos. It is taught to respond to the TV volume commands. The TV isn't doing anything clever.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All I want is to be able to adjust volume on separate speakers using tv remote
Both Optical and the sound from AV1 are fixed level.

The only variable audio out on the majority of TVs now is the headphone jack. So, as Ace Modder said, connect up with that if you want the TV remote as your only control.

The other solution is a different remote. So long as the audio system has IR control then this would be perfect for a Harmony. You'd program it to operate the TV functions except for volume. This would be programmed for the sound system instead.

Associate
I know OP doesn't want the hassle of separate remote control etc, but sounbars don't seem to really offer much sound quality for the bucks. I've set up optical out --> Denon M39DAB --> Dali Zensor 1 and the sound is very good indeed and the setup is pretty neat (+1 remote control, though!)

Back
Top Bottom