Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
So close to pulling the trigger on this. Just have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to set up SABNZB and utorrent to download directly to the server.

So using a client machine I download a .nzb or torrent then it downloads the actual articles straight to the server (as opposed to downloading locally then copying across).

What sort of seek times would I expect to get from this. IE - I have a drive a mapped on my laptop and I double click on it, how long before the drive is accessible? I'd have the server wired directly to my router but the laptop will be using wireless. I know this is a difficult question to answer but a rough estimate is fine.

Associate
So close to pulling the trigger on this. Just have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to set up SABNZB and utorrent to download directly to the server.

So using a client machine I download a .nzb or torrent then it downloads the actual articles straight to the server (as opposed to downloading locally then copying across).

What sort of seek times would I expect to get from this. IE - I have a drive a mapped on my laptop and I double click on it, how long before the drive is accessible? I'd have the server wired directly to my router but the laptop will be using wireless. I know this is a difficult question to answer but a rough estimate is fine.

Every answer to this depends on what OS you're going to run on the MicroServer but as an example:

On Windows Server 2008 yes you can install any windows software and run it on the server instead of on your laptop.

Network acess times to the server will depend on your network, but I can play 1080p mkv on my BluRay player directly from a shared drive on my MicroServer

Soldato
Every answer to this depends on what OS you're going to run on the MicroServer but as an example:

On Windows Server 2008 yes you can install any windows software and run it on the server instead of on your laptop.

Network acess times to the server will depend on your network, but I can play 1080p mkv on my BluRay player directly from a shared drive on my MicroServer

It would be Windows Home Server 2011.

I tried to google how to set up SABNZB in this way and I couldn't find anything particularly useful.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone managing to pull files over the network at a speed consistently greater than 90meg ?

Trying to download from the newgroups directly and its tending to fluctuate a lot, jumping from 70 > 90 , where as on my main PC using the same client etc its a steady 93meg.

Soldato
I get a steady 85-90MB/sec copying from my N40L running FreeNAS to an SSD on a Mac via AFP, and 98-105MB/sec to a Windows 7 PC with an SSD via SMB. It's fast enough for me, and happily runs a virtual machine off the NAS.

I know some people have installed a low profile Intel NIC as an upgrade.

Soldato
Yeah was thinking that as well. Just run a network test and heres the write speeds over the network from the microserver to my PC. Not sure if this is good or not but seems plenty for 90meg

Capture-2.jpg

just tried it with more packets and it levels off at around 170Mbit/sec so should be able to sustain 90Mbit/sec,

Wondering if its the sata connections or the drives

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom