Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Anyone using the Synology OS? There's a custom version which you can install and run off a USB stick.

I currently have a friend who's installed it and just wondering what peoples thoughts were on it or if there's a reason not to use it.

Permabanned
I had a look at it, it was pretty stable, much faster then an actual Synology box in using it.

Only worked on DSM 4.1 when I tried it, I think it may be up to 4.2 now.

I prefer NAS4Free as the software option on the MS.

Soldato
That's interesting, I didn't know you could use the synology OS on PCs.
It was very feature-rich, easy to use, and extremely stable (at least on synology hardware). Not as good as WHS, but if I'd known the OS was usable I'd have tried it.

Soldato
I managed to set it up for him and I can remote into it. Access files and watch movies. WHS does everything at home fine. I'm just trying to find each ways to access things outside the network. I remote into is using remote desktop. I set up a VPN on my router so I can have some privacy on my laptop out and about. I'm just trying to find a way now to stream media really. I have serviio installed but they want you to pay for streaming. Don't fancy doing that.

Soldato
Has anyone else had issues using >2TB hard drives via the eSATA port? I ended up corrupting a lot of data after not checking the drive I hooked up had been properly addressed!

Can't find any information anywhere, or BIOS updates :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally decided to go ahead and buy one this morning, now I need to start the debate as to what O/S route to go down given the variety of choices!

I want:
- Reliable storage (only about 1Tb atm) with the ability to hassle free swap a disk in / out if it goes wrong.
- Setup and forget setup, don't have time to be doing maintenance.
- Ability to drop the drives into something else if i have a hardware failure

Windows Server essentials 2012 would be my first choice (its what im running on my Microserver).

What would people suggest, Windows with Drivebender?

Drivebender is basically obsolete now, it was good for WHS 2011 as it was a great replacement for the WHS v1 drive extender, but that functionality is back in Windows 8/2012 and better than ever.

I'm only going to have 2 x 2TB WD Red's in it to start with.

Create a small O/S partition, Windows software mirror it onto the 2nd drive if you want redundancy for the boot partition, Add the remaining drive space to a storage pool, as you buy new drives these can also be added to the pool :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone else had issues using <2TB hard drives via the eSATA port? I ended up corrupting a lot of data after not checking the drive I hooked up had been properly addressed!

Can't find any information anywhere, or BIOS updates :(

I haven't heard of that. I've been running a 2TB drive off my esata port for a couple of years with no issues.

Soldato
Windows Server essentials 2012 would be my first choice (its what im running on my Microserver).

Drivebender is basically obsolete now, it was good for WHS 2011 as it was a great replacement for the WHS v1 drive extender, but that functionality is is back in Windows 8/2012 and better than ever.

WHS Essentials 2012 costs how much again? Compared to the £36 price of WHS 2011 and £15 Drive Bender or Stablebit drivePool...

I wasn't too impressed with Server 2012's version of drive extender. Excellent idea, but if your needs change and you need to break the pool up later, you have to lose all your data. That doesn't happen with the previous versions.
Plus there are a couple of gotchas to work around, like it assuming client computers are joining a domain, which disables autologon for client computers autologging onto their default user. There are workarounds, but it's all such a hassle.

Still, for those interested in trying it, there's a 180-day demo here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj659306.aspx

Prepare your wallets for the end of the evaluation period....

Soldato
Probably a noobish question but I just want a bit of confirmation please :)

I have WHS 2011 on its way but rather than mess around fitting an ODD for the install I'd rather do it from a USB stick. From reading around it seems fairly simple:

• Make USB stick bootable
  • Copy files from WHS disc to root of USB stick
  • Boot server from USB

Seems easy enough but I've seen a few guides that then go on to mention making an answer file for unattended install. Is that necessary when installing from USB or can I just follow the prompts as if I were doing a regular install from the disc?

Oh, and does anyone know if the modded "Thebay" BIOS is needed for the N54L to enable higher speeds on the extra SATA / eSATA ports? Everything I've read about it only refers to the N40L so I just wanted to check.

I'll not be using the extra ports just yet but I'd rather change the BIOS before installing the OS and data just in case.

Thanks.

Soldato
I tried installing WHS v1 via the flash drive method and it failed. Can't remember why though and it was only last weekend! Used a spare optical drive and all was fine
Yeah I remember this. You need to create a boot.ini file I think or something which tells the install to ignore something. It was something like minimum drive space or something. Can't remember.

Soldato
Yeah I remember this. You need to create a boot.ini file I think or something which tells the install to ignore something. It was something like minimum drive space or something. Can't remember.

Pretty sure that's for when you're installing to a drive smaller than the WHS minimum of 160 GB, like an SSD for example. I'm putting the OS on the 250GB drive that came with the server so don't need that :)

Soldato
I haven't heard of that. I've been running a 2TB drive off my esata port for a couple of years with no issues.

The issue is with anything above 2 TB. So it sounds like an LBA issue... but I can't see ANY mention of anything anywhere, and the HP site sucks massive balls!

Back
Top Bottom