*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S4 Thread ***

Soldato
I'm on ME2.

To root do I literally just flash this file via Odin?

Correct, or you could just flash a pre-rooted stock rom if you're looking to update as well.

Cool I didn't know if that file was too old to work with ME2 - but as you say it should work.

My plan is to root, then install CWM or TWRP (any recommendation to which?).

Then Make a backup, then install something like the latest Omega.

Sound about right?

Associate
I just flashed this new XXUBMEA firmware to allow me to put my apps onto the sd card and it works an absolute treat! With the Samsung UHS1 memory card able to read at 70MB per second there is no noticeable slowdown. I'm chuffed to bits with this phone now.

There is some german bloat installed though, but happily you can uninstall this. The internal storage has gone up slightly to 9.23GB, although that is no longer a concern.:p

Here is the fast (none hotfile) link

http://filecloud.io/k6dyiea9

Soldato
I just flashed this new XXUBMEA firmware to allow me to put my apps onto the sd card and it works an absolute treat! With the Samsung UHS1 memory card able to read at 70MB per second there is no noticeable slowdown. I'm chuffed to bits with this phone now.

There is some german bloat installed though, but happily you can uninstall this. The internal storage has gone up slightly to 9.23GB, although that is no longer a concern.:p

Cold I just flash that to my (Bought sim free, unlocked) phone without losing anything? I wasn't sure if the firmware changes can affect your data?

Man of Honour
64gb in fact I imagine it can go higher but no one bothers due to price.

edit: ignore me 128gb ones don't exisit, I was sure I'd seen them :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Omega 5.0 with the recently released firmware due tomorrow :)

You will need to download the new stock firmware for the flash process though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wonder if Samsung have fixed the problem with apps to SD, this bug here:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=25563

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1446961

Was a huge pita with my spica and noticed the problem on my bro's & friends desires too.

Personally don't see why anyone needs to move apps to SD in the first place though as there is more than enough internal storage for thousands of apps, also it is better to keep them on the internal storage partition anyway, faster etc.

Plus afaik, it doesn't solve the issue with big games i.e. only the apk gets moved, not the game data, which is what weighs in at 1+GB for the likes of the dark knight etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Plus afaik, it doesn't solve the issue with big games i.e. only the apk gets moved, not the game data, which is what weighs in at 1+GB for the likes of the dark knight etc.

Exactly - has anyone been able to move massive games to SD using the MEA ROM?

Hey what size SD card can the S4 take is it 32gb or can it go upto 64gb now? Looking at those UHS1 cards now, thanks Jay.

Even the S2 took 64GB :)

Associate
Hey what size SD card can the S4 take is it 32gb or can it go upto 64gb now? Looking at those UHS1 cards now, thanks Jay.

It can take the 64GB cards and the Samsung UHS1 64GB is the best by far. There have been too many glitches with the Sandisk ones in Samsung phones to take the risk. 20MB per second write and 70MB per second read is very impressive.:)

Soldato
Cool I didn't know if that file was too old to work with ME2 - but as you say it should work.

My plan is to root, then install CWM or TWRP (any recommendation to which?).

Then Make a backup, then install something like the latest Omega.

Sound about right?

No need to root for custom rom installation. For Omega you'll need to be on the ME2 firmware (stock), then flash CWM (I don't like TWRP personally). Back up the stock rom, copy the omega zip file over and flash from recovery.

Soldato
No need to root for custom rom installation. For Omega you'll need to be on the ME2 firmware (stock), then flash CWM (I don't like TWRP personally). Back up the stock rom, copy the omega zip file over and flash from recovery.

I want to root first to back up some apps.

I've tried to download both pre-rooted MEA and MEA slim rom but both are giveing me error when unzipping. dang!

I'm just going to root my current ROM now with CF-ROOT.

Associate

How are you getting 70MB read speeds from the sdcard slot? it doesn't support UHS-1 speeds.. The most you will get is around 18MB read.

Back
Top Bottom