***The Official HTC One Thread***

Caporegime
I know I was complaining about the battery life a few days a go but my latest charge has been fantastic
Screenshot_2013-06-06-23-35-43.png

Screenshot_2013-06-06-23-35-55.png

I think it was bad last week as I was staying in a place with no signal whatsoever

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered my upgrade. Annoying that you can't order a One Black on O2

Best upgrade offer O2 offered me direct was £37/month and £50 for the phone - Unlimited mins/txt and 1GB data

Managed to get the phone for free on a £32/month contract with same allocation from P4U. Why O2 don't offer customers the best deals they can direct is beyond me....

Associate
Belloni said:
Playing with ny new black one now, excellent phone but in sunlight the screen falls down.

If this is the case even with Auto Brightness turned off and manual full brightness selected, be thankful the HTC One has a max brightness of 498 nits and not the 285 nits of the S4.

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

Associate
If this is the case even with Auto Brightness turned off and manual full brightness selected, be thankful the HTC One has a max brightness of 498 nits and not the 285 nits of the S4.

Yeah, check the brightness setting and also that the power saving setting isn't on. The sunlight legibility seems decent on mine.

Soldato
Yeah, check the brightness setting and also that the power saving setting isn't on. The sunlight legibility seems decent on mine.

Ah ok I did have both on I'll try without.

Also, the in call volume at maximum isn't very loud?!

Two questions more, gallery app how do i stop facebook pictures being there, and what settings should I put the camera on for normal auto usage?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well my replacement unit arrived today and it has even more dust, and larger particles, stuck under the screen. The screen itself is also unevenly placed in the unibody. :mad: I didn't even turn it on I just rang EE back. They're being very good and have arranged for a third handset to come out tomorrow but at this rate I'm wondering if I'll ever find a good example. Maybe I should just give up and get a different phone :-/ It's a shame about the QC because everything else about the phone is superb.

Soldato
That's really bad. I seem to have been quite lucky, my screen isn't super flush, and sometimes the home button is unresponsive (but i'm still on 1.28). I have only seen one other One, and that was perfect.

Hopefully it is sorted soon, and you get to enjoy the superb phone :)

Caporegime

The GS 4 actually goes a lot brighter than that, however, only with auto brightness enabled as Samsung don't want people having the brightness at the highest figure since burn in etc. problems will happen then.

Saying that, the SAMOLED panel gets pretty hot supposedly so it would be throttling the brightness anyway (especially with this sort of heat currently!) :p

And yes as has been said, make sure power saving feature for screen brightness is turned of, makes a huge difference!

Any tips to improve camera shots settings?

Reduce the sharpness to -1 and the rest is down to you! :p

- use the presets if you're taking certain shots i.e. macro (close ups)
- touch to focus (sometimes this only works the best for certain scenarios and other times you are better of just "point and shoot" [wait for it to focus manually first] i.e. landscapes)
- HDR is good for low light/dark conditions (if you don't want to use flash), also good for when you have an area where it is a bit dark and very bright i.e. taking a shot of a building with the sun right behind it, can also work out nicely in a number of other conditions. Best to just mess around with this mode and see how it works
- if a shot doesn't come out great, try using the auto enhance effect in the stock gallery or a 3rd party app like snapseed, this works out very nicely if the photo is a bit washed out looking
- want a bit more colour to your shot then put the contrast or saturation up to +1

Also, once the camera focuses, don't take the shot straight away, give it a second or so to allow the OIS to "catch up" so to speak, as supposedly that makes a big difference i.e. much sharper image and less chance of blur happening on the sides.

Last edited:
Soldato

To be fair it's a pretty terrible article. As a photographer points out in the comments.

This is highly misleading. I used to work for a print shop and one thing we always knew is that when you print on canvas, megapixels and dpi didn't matter because the ink will smudge and fill in any gaps and noise the original image had will be mostly removed. That image looks smooth because of how canvas prints are made, not because its a sharp photo. Megapixels are important. It gives you greater fidelity in your photos. There is a reason canon, nikon, sony, and panasonic don't make low megapixel cameras with ultra pixels. It won't create the sharpness needed by most photographers for a photo to be acceptable.

The fact megapixel's don't matter nearly as much as manufacturers make out is hardly news, however this article really shows nothing about the One's camera.

Caporegime
I know, plus it isn't just "4MP" image, it has a much higher res. than that since it is a panorama shot, hence why it looks good on a 46" print.

and of course if you really want to be picky :p, you can then say that there isn't anything to show the "detail" side of it of i.e. it is mainly water and the sky with low lighting conditions.

However, what matters is that it looks very good, which is why I posted it.

Of course as said, more MP will always be better for large prints using just the "one" image.

That last comment from that "photographer" seems rather exaggerated:

It won't create the sharpness needed by most photographers for a photo to be acceptable.

I have seen plenty of shots where the one produces photos just as sharp as the GS 4 etc. cameras, especially when it comes to macro shots, certainly more than "acceptable" especially when you look at the other stuff like lack of noise, colours etc. "Serious photographers" can and would probably sort the sharpness out easily via lightroom/photoshop with a few clicks, you can reduce noise, however, you lose some detail by doing so.

Unless of course he is basing that view purely on when you zoom in/crop photos, which for some strange reason seems to be the "most" important factor these days as to if a camera is any good........

Plus the reason why phone cameras don't have loads of MP "and" very large pixel size is due to the physical limitation and of course the price, unless he wants a brick of a phone that costs a fortune. For example a nikon D600 has 24.3MP with a pixel size of around 5.95µm compared to the htc one with 4MP and 2µm and the GS 4 with 13MP and 1.12µm. With proper dedicated cameras, you don't have to worry about any of this as much since the camera will already be pretty big and heavy, therefore you can have a stupid amount of megapixels with huge pixels etc. Phones have to remain "compact" and be easy to use/hold in one hand, fit in your trouser etc. pockets.

Plus if you read the replies to that comment:

It sounds like the printer you worked for does pretty shoddy work. Our prints don't smudge. The definition on our canvas prints is quite good.

But from that canvas (and many other panoramas posted on XDA etc.), it shows how good sense/the one is when it comes to "capturing" panoramas baring in mind that this is from a "phone" camera.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom