'Fair compensation'

Associate
Yep, it's another fair compensation thread :p

I've just been approached by Doctor Who Magazine wanting to use one of my photos in their next publication, they've offered me £45 for a half page use of one of my photos in their interview section. I have no idea how much is about par for this sort of thing, I do however get the feeling their just offering me a low amount hoping I'll accept.

We haven't discussed terms yet, but I'm going to assume this is just a single use publication, if they want to reuse the image in further publications I'd be looking at 70% of original cost, or again am I barking up the wrong tree?

Soldato
From various posts I've seen asking this sort of question, this seems to be the going rate. Personally I'd take this and get credit in a Dr Who mag, and maybe wee a bit :D

And just for the sake of it I'll mention that my cousin does the narration on some of the new Dr Who DVDs of the old series (Pertwee etc) :)

Caporegime
The value also depends on the content and quality of the photo, if it is something they could get a friend to do for a few beers or they could buy from a stock site for a few quid then you have to be realistic. 30-100 quid for a half-page photo in such a magazine I would think is they going rate for a unique photo, the biggest national papers/mags rarely pay more than 100-200 unless there is something special about the photo (some celeb nude shocker etc).

If they have offered 45 than say your normal rate is 100 but you would consider doing it for 70 under your terms and conditions. IF they are not happy then I would accept the 45 as it is about right IMO

Note: I am not that experienced with selling to mags but these are the kinds of numbers I hear. A lot of these magazine have very slim profit margins so tend not to pay to much unless they have to.

Soldato
But as I think you alluded to yourself, just make sure when you hand it over that you fill in all the metadata on the image to explain that its licensed for a single use to them. That way you are clear if they do want to use it again in future.

Back
Top Bottom