Recommended Chinchilla food brand?

Soldato
Can any chinchilla owners recommend me a good quality brand pellet food? I've tried searching but I can't seem to find UK based recommendations. One of the big chinchilla forums that seems like it would have useful info is down atm also.

Cheers

Associate
I give my chinchillas " Chinchilla Pellets" from pets at home, they both seemed to like it as the bowl would be empty by the next evening. I also give them Floral Forage, Fruit salad, Calcium stick and willow sticks, but no all at the same time :p Hope it helps!

Soldato
OP
Oh, so the pets at home own brand stuff is actually good quality? I'll try it out. Yeah I need some sort of wooden things for them to chew on too. Willow sticks look perfect.

Thanks dude

Associate
Chinchilla's have very sensitive digestive systems so if you're planning on changing food it is usually recommended that this is done slowly over a period of weeks. If its a "pup" find out what its been fed on and continue on that if it all possible.

You're absolutely right that they need stuff to chew on - P@H do stuff but again look online and you'll find other stuff - we used to use Chinchillas2shop and another site which name just escapes me at the moment. Good luck!

Soldato
Can any chinchilla owners recommend me a good quality brand pellet food? I've tried searching but I can't seem to find UK based recommendations. One of the big chinchilla forums that seems like it would have useful info is down atm also.

Cheers
The best quality pellets out on the market are Charnwood Milling and Duggins! As already said if you are introducing a new food into their diet, it is best do it slowly introducing a little more each time through the weeks or you'll have diarrhea Armageddon on your hands. A very good informative forum for Chinchillas is Chinchilla World.

Soldato
We feed ours packs of pellets from the local independent pet store. The Pets@Home own brand they don't like very much and tend to just tip it out of their food bowl and chuck it all over the place.

We also let them occasionally snack on calcium sticks, cuttlefish, mini alfalfa bales and the odd raisin as a treat.

For general food, avoid Charlie Chinchilla. It's absolutely packed with nonsense that they shouldn't be having on anything even approaching a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom