What are these? (Train stuff)

Man of Honour
The London Underground and its four rails:

800pxealingcommon3.jpg

The Underground uses a relatively uncommon four rail system of electrification. Two standard gauge rails are the running rails; the outer third rail carries positive current at +420 V DC and the inner fourth rail is the negative return at –210 V DC, giving a supply voltage of 630 V DC. The chief advantage of the fourth-rail system is that, in tunnels with a metallic (usually cast-iron) lining, the return traction current does not leak into the lining causing electrolytic corrosion there or in the neighbouring utility mains. The two running rails are also available exclusively for signalling track circuits.

The surface sections of the lines use the fourth rail solely for operational consistency; the system shares track with Network Rail in several places.

Soldato
^ Er, yeah, what I said all the way up in post 17...

Anyway, I have another another picture of something that needs identifying! There are two and they remind me of the pseudo cold war train out of Goldeneye - but what are they for? They are parked outside the workshops near Bristol Temple Meads.

Associate
^ Er, yeah, what I said all the way up in post 17...

Anyway, I have another another picture of something that needs identifying! There are two and they remind me of the pseudo cold war train out of Goldeneye - but what are they for? They are parked outside the workshops near Bristol Temple Meads.

They're snowploughs :o

Back
Top Bottom