**XBOX ONE** Official Thread

Associate
It will be sat there monitoring to an extent (at least the sound anyway), it has to be to know when you say 'Xbox On' surely?

MS have already stated the Kinect settings can be changed so it isnt listening for "Xbox on".

From what i've read, you can have total control on what Kinect is watching\listening for, just by turning it off.

The Kinect issue is a non-factor in my opinion.

Soldato
MS have already stated the Kinect settings can be changed so it isnt listening for "Xbox on".

From what i've read, you can have total control on what Kinect is watching\listening for, just by turning it off.

The Kinect issue is a non-factor in my opinion.

So if you can turn it off, why require it to be plugged in?

Soldato
I don't know, but that's what has been said.

Edit:- maybe in case features require it? All I am saying that people who are outraged at the idea of it monitoring everything in your playing space are just making it up.

All you know is you can turn it off, does that mean its in "Hibernation" mode and can be turned on when the console needs it? Speculation of course.

I think people just don't want to be told what to do with there £400 purchase and have a choice to do what they want.

Caporegime
Also mine but there is a lot of rage against it in the PS4 thread.
I think its far more to do with having to pay for it when you dont want it, then any real issues about privacy (the whole PRISM affair was poorly timed that exacerbated the issue). You also have to remember that MS had to clarify after the reveal exactly what the user can do with it as initially it was sold as something that had to be on to allow the XO to function.

I think that probably colours a lot of the responses youve read rather than assume its just down to unsubstantiated rage (which of course there is some)...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
All you know is you can turn it off, does that mean its in "Hibernation" mode and can be turned on when the console needs it? Speculation of course.

I think people just don't want to be told what to do with there £400 purchase and have a choice to do what they want.

Of course all speculation, but I read it as the Kinect can be turned off. Although if it is needed you would need to turn it back on, or maybe a game wouldn't launch before it checked the Kinect was on?

Soldato
I have read loads of comments explaining why the Kinect will not be really bad, but none about what a great feature it is!

Technically at least, the motion capture stuff does on paper very impressive and a big step from Kinect 1. I've not seen anything show it off really though, just the voice recognition.

I'd be interested to see the next Kinect Sports game and what they do with it as that's usually a showcase for the device.

Soldato
I'd love to see MS extend the X1 capabilities to being able to control home automation by voice etc. It certainly should be possible given it's network connection and Windows based media OS VM. I don't know it it would be useful but it certainly appeals to my geeky side :)

Soldato
Of course all speculation, but I read it as the Kinect can be turned off. Although if it is needed you would need to turn it back on, or maybe a game wouldn't launch before it checked the Kinect was on?

This (among other reasons) is why I will be avoiding the One.

I want to choose if I want a camera plugged in.

I want to choose if I need to have my internet connected to the device. I'm not a big multiplayer fan and as such would have no real intention of having my internet plugged in.

I want to choose if I want to use the One as a media centre. I don't want to have to pay another subscription to access a subscription service I'm paying for.

I don't want these decisions made for me and thrust down my neck.

Yes I have a stable connection, yes I have Steam and the One system is similar, but I CHOOSE if I want Steam to start.

Associate

I want to choose if I need to have my internet connected to the device. I'm not a big multiplayer fan and as such would have no real intention of having my internet plugged in.

I want to choose if I want to use the One as a media centre. I don't want to have to pay another subscription to access a subscription service I'm paying for.

Yes I have a stable connection, yes I have Steam and the One system is similar, but I CHOOSE if I want Steam to start.

That is your choice, I just don't see the issue of having to have Kinect plugged in.

If you don't play multiplayer or like the TV features, then Xbox One probably isn't for you. But that's your choice ;)

Soldato

That's all perfectly fine and I'm happy for you in your decision.

Sorry, why are you here again?

There's the door.

Caporegime
I'd love to see MS extend the X1 capabilities to being able to control home automation by voice etc. It certainly should be possible given it's network connection and Windows based media OS VM. I don't know it it would be useful but it certainly appeals to my geeky side :)
Im thinking more as a marketing tool where it now has the ability to read your face when you watch an advert and if its favourable send/hold that information for future contact.

Decent targetted marketing is worth its weight in gold - Kinects very much a 'Minority Report' possibility.

Again people think Im having a go, Im not, I just think theres a lot of opportunities there that I know MS would have thought of. They are definitely playing the long game on a number of fronts, very hard to dismiss them...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom