8 Bay ITX Server

Associate
There isn't a lot in heat/noise/power consumption difference in it, so little you prob wouldn't notice, Red's are the best solution for any Raid set up IMO, mainly because they are designed for Raid and have longer warranty :)

I used the 2Tb Seagate LP's in my last build. Could still hear the ticking. 100mbit net link so Hard drives worked a bit hard :)

Permabanned
OP
It's a very pretty case containing a commendable density of hard drives. That's also quite a nasty single point of failure if the power supply or motherboard goes bad. I think I'd have got a second four bay box instead. 20gbytes of data is a lot to lose all in one go and a real pain to backup.

Actually, how are you going to back this up?

Nightly image backup

He will be using RAID 5 for redundancy.

Yep

There will still be a single point of failure if the raid card goes but as long as the data is fine then there shouldn't be a problem.

Hense the nightly backup of an image

On the backup question. Raid 5 can not be considered as "backup" however for the amount of data involved it may have to do. Personally I keep my ultra important life ends without these files on various cloud area's. The only real way to backup a 20TB array would be with another 20Tb array or a very nice tape solution!

I'm not bumb enough to use the cloud for anything personal. Seen too many hacks and done them my self. Would post a photo or your kid on facebook but load that on the cloud...

Looks like this could be an interesting read unfortunately I rage quit thread at the top of page 2. That font. :mad:

Ah well

Use of Comic Sans should be a bannable offence.

Nah it's good man

Hi pyropetepete,

Quick question, does the RAID controller come with the case? I got mine delivered on Monday but no controller. i have emailed them but had no response. I just wanted to confirm if yours came with the controller.

On the upside, there were no import charges for me either.

Thanks

No raid card with the case. It's not shown in the pic or listed so it's kinda clear. Also my posts would show this as well. Give it a few weeks. I just had Fedex ask for £30. I told them to go fish

looks good subscribed for further updates :D

Yeah sorry dude i been flat out last few weeks

Get yourself an IBM M5014 or M5015 Raid controller from eBay (which is just a re-branded LSI 9260-8i), they can be had for a good price with a cache battery (BBU)

I am using one with 4 x 3TB WD Red's and getting amazing speeds in a Raid-5, see below pic -

I got the Rocketraid but will have a look

I am not pyropetepete but I can answer the question

@ ReaperZN

No the raid controller. A good raid card is a couple of hundred quid. There are cheaper ones but checking some auction sites can find a good card cheap.

@ coolamasta

Nice speeds there. I like the sound the of the WD Reds but my gut still says go with 5900rpm for less heat and noise.

Controler can be had from £50 + depends what you want out of it.

Ah reds are fine

Nice pics, couldn't read the thread due to the font.

Contemplated forcing Firefox/Stylish to override the font settings for the forum but decided I couldn't be bothered.

:D

Pics speak more than words

There isn't a lot in heat/noise/power consumption difference in it, so little you prob wouldn't notice, Red's are the best solution for any Raid set up IMO, mainly because they are designed for Raid and have longer warranty :)

Exactly what this man just said!

Why did you replace the fans to viper fans?

Better air flow, i like them and trust them. Seen lots of Geild at work die in hours.

I used the 2Tb Seagate LP's in my last build. Could still hear the ticking. 100mbit net link so Hard drives worked a bit hard :)

Can't hear the drives but can hear the PSU 40mm fan X2 giving some beans. Might need too address this. SFX PSU perhaps :)

hey pyropetepete did you ever get a new raid card sorted out? May have a Intel RS2SG244 available if that's any good for your build?

Yeah i did man. Sorry i been so busy and not posted a thing, my bad.

So i got the Highpoint RocketRAID RR2720SGL @ £147 as had it delivered for a Saturday. Dropped it in, windows, drivers, flashed to lastest BIOS sorted. RAID 5 and works a treat.

I've only got 1.7TB on there currently as doing some test's. But as highlight someone said the PSU is loud. Now the case top is on it is loud. I can hear it and i'm fussy. So i might look at the PSU going to SFX if it can fit. I'll be happyer with it. I also need 2 2pin extension cables as the ones on the case do not fit as too short to reach raid cards led headers. Having hard time to find them. I might also play with the RAID and will do some benching on it. Different raid arrys R0, R1, R10 etc

I'm also building the 4 bay up. not sure if i will keep it or perhaps flog it but using old kit to get it up.

Associate
I keep the family photo archive on a skydrive. A few scans of documents I need. Nothing that would cause me problems if stolen. Just to important to me to lose, personal thing.

I would be interested to see some temps from this setup. At the moment I am leaning towards a node 304 case instead. Mainly for looks! I plan to sit it in my living room.

Permabanned
OP
Nice pics. Shame I couldn't read the text. ;)

Ah well

I recon you could replace that 40mm fan
Noctua do a 40mm one which should be silent

Perhaps but it's a beats of a PSU so best to leave alone

I keep the family photo archive on a skydrive. A few scans of documents I need. Nothing that would cause me problems if stolen. Just to important to me to lose, personal thing.

I would be interested to see some temps from this setup. At the moment I am leaning towards a node 304 case instead. Mainly for looks! I plan to sit it in my living room.

This currently downloading @ 7.9Mb and uploading around 17.6Mb, as well as being used remotely at work, hosting 3 websites, streaming SKY TV to a 60'' TV and the sun will be on it due to where it is in the front room hehehe

Last edited:
Associate
Do you need a 2400 cpu in there? 95w. I always try to put a T 35/45w series in my nas. Thinking of the 3470T for my new one or maybe the 3220T. Only needs to play a 1080p file via hdmi and download/upload file transfer.

To be honest it sounds like you have a ton of available cash to be able to do all this. A lot of nice toys!

Permabanned
OP
Do you need a 2400 cpu in there? 95w. I always try to put a T 35/45w series in my nas. Thinking of the 3470T for my new one or maybe the 3220T. Only needs to play a 1080p file via hdmi and download/upload file transfer.

To be honest it sounds like you have a ton of available cash to be able to do all this. A lot of nice toys!

I got given the 2400 so i can't argue too much. Nice saving. I could ditch it for a different cpu and mobo really. i3 would do.

Toys are always fun

Yeah not seen my job? A display starts from £2k and can be anything up to £MILLIONS. I also import to other suppliers and do shows and event all year round. This has been for ''work'' need to store all the data heheh

Associate
We're better than that here. A high school. We have fail over ADSL setup if our main link goes down. End users don't even see a loss of connection. Well, they might see slower youtube. . . but that's about it.

And I meant to say just over 2 months pay, not 2 weeks. £2k money is 7 weeks ish pay.

Associate
Did the M1015 run on the P8Z77-I?

I'm currently struggling to try to get mine (crossflashed to 9210-8i) to work with a variety of Q67 boards without any great sucess, don't want to buy one for no reason if the result will be the same.

Permabanned
OP
Did the M1015 run on the P8Z77-I?

I'm currently struggling to try to get mine (crossflashed to 9210-8i) to work with a variety of Q67 boards without any great sucess, don't want to buy one for no reason if the result will be the same.

Yeah it worked perfectly.

Have you flashed your BIOS to the latest? UEFI option? Also there is a know bug/issue with some of the SMI pins along the bus face.

Associate

Yeah it worked perfectly.

Have you flashed your BIOS to the latest? UEFI option? Also there is a know bug/issue with some of the SMI pins along the bus face.
Yep tried several BIOS on both the card the m/b. UEFI option is off but i've tried it either way.

The card just doesn't run, no heartbeat light at all but it works in other boards and i've had it 12 months so I know its a good card. Won't run in any of the 3 Q67 boards I have nor a H61 ITX board, tried taping over B5 and 6 as with the older cards but makes no difference.

Can only assume there is a hardware revision or other somewhere along the line.

Permabanned
OP
Please don't run RAID 0 as your main disk, that's really really stupid on a server.

Run them RAID 1 - trust me

I was only toying with the the idea. I went for a single SSD in the end

Yep tried several BIOS on both the card the m/b. UEFI option is off but i've tried it either way.

The card just doesn't run, no heartbeat light at all but it works in other boards and i've had it 12 months so I know its a good card. Won't run in any of the 3 Q67 boards I have nor a H61 ITX board, tried taping over B5 and 6 as with the older cards but makes no difference.

Can only assume there is a hardware revision or other somewhere along the line.

I can test for you, send back and forth via rmsd so well covered. I have 2 cards here doing nothing

Associate
Thank you very much for the offer but i've pretty much given up on it now, just wondered if there was any other trick that i'd missed trying. Thanks for the info anyway :).

Permabanned
OP
Thank you very much for the offer but i've pretty much given up on it now, just wondered if there was any other trick that i'd missed trying. Thanks for the info anyway :).

Sadly not. I'm glad I went for the rocket raid. Easier to use, faster, smaller and works.

I'm having issues with the PSU being so loud. I need to sort a solution out as the location of the server I don't want to move.

Back
Top Bottom