PSU fault

Associate
Friend had a fault with his pc shutting down not booting etc, i have it at home and checked all the drives and memory and when trying to do a fresh install it powers down.
question is i tested the PSU with a supply tester and the -5v light is not showing up and was wondering could this be the cause?
The power supply is a corsair cx500 and only just over a year old.

Associate
-5V is for compatibility AFAIR and not all PSU vendors support such voltage, so Personally I doubt if it's a reason, It might be something else (like some filters not working properly, or some bad caps etc), as much as this reason might be on motherboard itself, or soem other component (shortage).

Try to replace his PSU with another one to test if hangups still occur. It will say you much more :)

Associate
OP
Alright I've changed power supply, graphics and memory just about managed in between shutdowns to install a fresh copy of windows wiped all other hdd's and the pc will freeze then shutdown after about 2-5 mins, anybody got any ideas what it could be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try with bare minimum of devices.only boot drive,no cd/dvd drive,onboard gfx if it has it
Is the cpu overheating?
Set to shutdown at too low a temp in bios?
Cpu needs a fresh application of tim/compound?

A few more things for you to check/think about :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom