Road Tripping in the USA!

Man of Honour
OP
I had a G37 last time. Absolutely loads of power and it handled really well but the rest of it was really quite poor. It was fun to try but I'd walk past it on the rental lot if I saw one again.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24297749 said:
I had a G37 last time. Absolutely loads of power and it handled really well but the rest of it was really quite poor. It was fun to try but I'd walk past it on the rental lot if I saw one again.

I liked the sound system (for a standard system) and the seats were very comfortable, given the mileage i put in. But the interior wasn't as good as a German car.. Mind you, when has a Jap car ever had an interior as solid as a German car? It felt heavy at slower speeds. But it really felt at home on the highway.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24213103 said:
It's very different living somewhere or being close enough to visit regularly, though. When you can go perhaps once a year for a few weeks you must be more chosey and for me, at least, California was just so much better.

This is a very true thing

Soldato
I'm currently planning a 10-day road trip around the South: Dallas > Little Rock > Memphis > New Orleans > Houston > Dallas. Basically a big square! Current wheels of choice is a Challenger R/T. Need to do some planning over the weekend and then get it booked! :)

Soldato
I would disagree here. 17 mile drive was somewhat overrated... I'd say head a little further South past Carmel to Point Lobos State Reserve. Amazing scenery.

I wouldn't call this somewhat overrated.

march1376.jpg

Soldato
[TW]Fox;19673633 said:
Either go in September, wait until June, or do a huge detour:

This is the best route:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Yos...sQ;FQORLgIdl3wE-SkTjQcF4VLHgDG3fjayJAh8XQ&z=8

But the pass out of Yosemite will be closed.

Therefore, you will need this route:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...HgDG3fjayJAh8XQ&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1&z=8

Which is more boring and takes longer.
If the road is closed, you reckon it's still worth doing the 3 hour detour around to get to Yosemite?

Soldato
Just don't have an overnight stay in Baskersfield. What a dump.

Agreed. However, to the East of Bakersfield, heading out of that place, is a fantastic road called Kern Canyon Rd. US178. Stunning scenery. A must drive if you're local to that area. If you do need to have an overnight stay, go for something like a Hilton Garden Inn. They're usually in a good area and the hotels are nice.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=35.547033,-118.550205&spn=0.000279,0.169086&t=m&z=13&layer=c&cbll=35.547005,-118.615617&panoid=q6il8DllMPAoPvcstpefrw&cbp=12,349.97,,0,4.24

Man of Honour
OP
As this thread keeps popping up I guess it's turned into the 'Motors USA road trip' thread.

Just finishing off the planning stage for my next trip - Seattle > Vancouver > Jasper > Calgary > Montana > Utah > Oregon > Seattle.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24394735 said:
As this thread keeps popping up I guess it's turned into the 'Motors USA road trip' thread.

Just finishing off the planning stage for my next trip - Seattle > Vancouver > Jasper > Calgary > Montana > Utah > Oregon > Seattle.

As our Seychelles trip in September was cancelled we decided to go to Calgary, Banff, Jasper and lots of stops on the way to Vancouver (Glacier national park, Whistler etc). Wierd huh....

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm starting to plan our route but don't really know how to go about it. Where should I look to get the good roads and views?

I just punched it all into maps so far and it give quickest route.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm starting to plan our route but don't really know how to go about it. Where should I look to get the good roads and views?

I just punched it all into maps so far and it give quickest route.

The route you posted in that 'show off all the stuff you've bought' thread was very good with the notable exception of the bit where you went up the 101 highway instead of the Pacific Coast Highway.

Associate
Great reading in this thread.
Looking for a bit of advice. We are staying in SF for 3 nights in July (Thur-Sat), then the Sunday night in Monterey, have 4 nights in between undecided, then ending with 3 nights in San Diego (Fri-Sun), leaving for home on Monday morning. Hiring a car on the Sunday after leaving SF.

I'm wondering what to do for those 4 nights between Monterey and San Diego. We (gf and I) aren't aiming to cover major miles, and want a bit of relaxing and seeing around at each spot we stay. I'm thinking this is too long between two relatively close places, and too short to make any epic trips to Yosemite or Lake Tahoe for example. Any suggestions - I'm thinking adding another night in Monterey, then a night or two in Santa Barbara perhaps; or should I hit somewhere else after SF and put Monterey off by a few nights?

Soldato
That's a tricky one because Yosemite and Tahoe are both 3.5 hours in kinda the wrong direction to your general trip direction (Tahoe more so) a trip to either will add 6-7 hours of driving to your plan of going from SF to Monterey. That said both places are pretty spectacular and if I had to chose one I'd go for Yosemite plus it's marginally closer.

If I were to visit either I'd probably pick up a car at SF airport and drive straight to Tahoe/Yosemite, couple days there then drive to SF for 2-3 days.

Then do Monterey, Santa Barbara for a night or two, then drive down to San Diego and do a few days there.

If you don't fancy the drive on the other hand, I'd do SF as you say, a night in Monterey is plenty and then spend the entire day driving down PCH. You could stop in San Luis Obispo which is a cool town and cheaper than Santa Barbara if you wanted to save a bit of cash before continuing to SB.

Santa Barbara is one of the nicest places in America if not the world and there is tons of stuff to do if you wanted to spend a couple nights here.

Last edited:
Don
Looking at hiring a car in 10 days or so. heading to Vegas with the wife, we're planning on going from the strip, up to the canyon (south rim). Looking to hire a mustang convertible.

Which places would people recommend to hire these from? What's the rough prices too? I know Fox went in 2011, so 2 1/2 years ago, wondering if prices are still the same. It would just be a day hire :)

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom