8 Bay ITX Server

Permabanned
OP
Can't remember which supply you're using but I've got a seasonic supply in my 1u pfsense box and it's silent.

FSP400-701UH --- 85PLUS 1u 400 Watt

Comic Sans MS, lots of money to throw around, cute job that will make the children happy, must be a schoolteacher in denial. :D

Bah noway am I teacher dude. Sod that for a game of solders. Lots of money yes but money i've worked hard for and risk life and limb for.

Very interesting thread indeed, been following it for quite awhile. Nothing really to add but please man, please stop using Comic Sans MS :D

http://comicsanscriminal.com/

Thanks. No. :)

Associate
Hmm i'm going a bit stupid with old age. I failed to notice these WD RED's are 5900rpm. Hmm. Though I've just spotted the new Seagate NAS versions. . . . May get 6 of those!

Associate
Those moaning about the OP's choice of font really should get over it. There's much bigger issues in life.

Interesting build. ;)

Fish

Caporegime
Those moaning about the OP's choice of font really should get over it. There's much bigger issues in life.

Interesting build. ;)

Fish

But you have to go into advanced mode, select bold, and select the font. Why not use the standard one? Its readable, and less ****ty. O.o

But yes, there are much bigger issues in life.

Soldato
Thinking I might have to indulge in this.

What ver of Windows are you running as the OS?

Also if you have to reinstall the OS, I take the RAID card keeps the raid and data intact?

Permabanned
OP
Sorry for such a long over due reply.

Windows 7 X64 Pro (all my stuff runs pro)

Yeah the raid card is hard configed and the drives are already set.I always advise pulling any HD's when reinstalling so I pull the card out done.

Associate
Bristol mate. PSU fans are the loudest

I've modded PSUs fan once for my customer who took mATX board&case with dual core Athlon II and no graphic card. It's as simple as mounting a Zener diode which makes fan working at 9V/7V (12V by default) - it's noticebly quieter then. But you have to be sure first if PSU is not hot/warm and case stays in well ventillated area. And you loose warranty for PSU.

BTW, customer's PC works 3 or 4 years with no issues, it's more exciting that PSU was some CIT, lol.

Permabanned
OP
I've kinda gotten use to it as has the missies. I've also moved it. I may change the PSU. Airflow to the PSU is the issue, cool air getting to it.

It's been fine so far.

Soldato
Beautiful build there! Really tempted to build something similar in the 4 bay case. Was thinking of a hp proliant microserver but the cashback offers finished now so this is even more tempting. OcUK should definitely start stocking these cases. Do you mind trusting me where you ordered from? Thanks.

Associate
Hi

The M1015 is a LSI 9211 / 9220 / 9240. Flashing it with the correct firmware should allow it to use 3TB drives.

Neither the M1015 or the Highpoint card are good choices for raid 5. Both are pretty dumb cards and leave you open to the raid 5 write hole issue.

A card with a BBU and cache is usually a recommended minimum. The LSI 9260 / M501[4/5] are usually good entry level cards for that.

The M1015 is very good for ZFS if flashed with the IT firmware. Dell H200s are also a good choice and work with 3TB drives.

RB

Permabanned
OP
Beautiful build there! Really tempted to build something similar in the 4 bay case. Was thinking of a hp proliant microserver but the cashback offers finished now so this is even more tempting. OcUK should definitely start stocking these cases. Do you mind trusting me where you ordered from? Thanks.

I have the 4 bay with an ITX bundle and psu going up in the MM when I get 5 mins to list it.

Looks like a great build! Love the case. Shame I cannot afford anything remotely similar at the moment.

I saved and saved. Now it's hosting people stuff and been paid for it's a result

Hi

The M1015 is a LSI 9211 / 9220 / 9240. Flashing it with the correct firmware should allow it to use 3TB drives.

Neither the M1015 or the Highpoint card are good choices for raid 5. Both are pretty dumb cards and leave you open to the raid 5 write hole issue.

A card with a BBU and cache is usually a recommended minimum. The LSI 9260 / M501[4/5] are usually good entry level cards for that.

The M1015 is very good for ZFS if flashed with the IT firmware. Dell H200s are also a good choice and work with 3TB drives.

RB

I needed something fast and this works

Associate
I needed something fast and this works

Appears to work. The raid 5 write hole only becomes apparent during a rebuild.

If you are only storing movies or the like that you can re-rip etc then it may not be a big concern for you.

Probably worth being aware that array rebuilds will probably be pretty slow as well. During a rebuild you are at rick of loosing everything if a second drive fails.

Better cards help to mitigate these two issues but you have to pay a chunk more for it.

Whether either of these are issues are a big enough problem for you to prompt looking for a better alternative depends on your own risk / reward ratings for them.

i had a UNas 4 drive unit and they are not bad for the price.

The 8 bay unit is pretty unique. Hows the build quality on yours.

RB

Permabanned
OP
Appears to work. The raid 5 write hole only becomes apparent during a rebuild.

If you are only storing movies or the like that you can re-rip etc then it may not be a big concern for you.

Probably worth being aware that array rebuilds will probably be pretty slow as well. During a rebuild you are at rick of loosing everything if a second drive fails.

Better cards help to mitigate these two issues but you have to pay a chunk more for it.

Whether either of these are issues are a big enough problem for you to prompt looking for a better alternative depends on your own risk / reward ratings for them.

i had a UNas 4 drive unit and they are not bad for the price.

The 8 bay unit is pretty unique. Hows the build quality on yours.

RB

Better than the 4 bay. The drive bays needs a work. Have told them this as they are twisted slightly. Defo needs to be bigger for CPU cooler. I let him log in and see what mine was doing and he agreed as an i5 system defo needs better cooling. I said to make the back fan removable and add the idea of a H60 - H100. PSU ditch it from 1u to SFX

Back
Top Bottom