BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I upgraded to BT Infinity Option 2 (76MB/ps Download, 20 MB/ps Upload) last year. I then noticed after a while (a few weeks after installation because of the 10 day sync time) that my speeds would slowly decrease after a few days and this would require me to restart their "Home Hub 3.0" to bring my speeds back up again.

I was getting quite sick of this so I decided to by a Billion 8200N since it also has a built in modem (meaning I could dispose of their "Home Hub 3.0" and Huawei Modem). Unfortunately the Billion 8200N wasn't compatible with BT's ECI cabinets, so I had to use it with the Huawei Modem for it to work which solved the speed dropping problem (which means the Home Hub was to blame).

In the mean time I contacted Billion via their UK forums and two months later I was given a test firmware for the Billion 8200N that worked fine with BT's ECI cabinets. This meant I could now use the Billion without any of BT's hardware.

CP06

For those wanting to view my thread on the Billion forums regarding the 8200N here's the link : http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=449

Associate
I upgraded to BT Infinity Option 2 (76MB/ps Download, 20 MB/ps Upload) last year. I then noticed after a while (a few weeks after installation because of the 10 day sync time) that my speeds would slowly decrease after a few days and this would require me to restart their "Home Hub 3.0" to bring my speeds back up again.

I was getting quite sick of this so I decided to by a Billion 8200N since it also has a built in modem (meaning I could dispose of their "Home Hub 3.0" and Huawei Modem). Unfortunately the Billion 8200N wasn't compatible with BT's ECI cabinets, so I had to use it with the Huawei Modem for it to work which solved the speed dropping problem (which means the Home Hub was to blame).

In the mean time I contacted Billion via their UK forums and two months later I was given a test firmware for the Billion 8200N that worked fine with BT's ECI cabinets. This meant I could now use the Billion without any of BT's hardware.

CP06

For those wanting to view my thread on the Billion forums regarding the 8200N here's the link : http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=449

That throughput is pretty impressive, although the ping times are a little high. The Billion looks like a nice bit of kit. :)

Associate

CP06

So what is your sync rate? Is the Billion somehow getting around the limits imposed? Shouldn't be possible to get that high on an 80mbit sync....

Soldato
That's what I thought. Infinity 3 is the FTTH/P one.

On Infinity 2 but only getting 33mb averagely due to a crazy distance from me and the cabinet... Better than the old 4mb ADSL service so not complaining that much.

I struggled with anywhere between 0.5 / 1.5MB for years, finally went with FTTC I am also quite a distance from my CAB.

BT predicted 23.3MB and 5MB Upload (Regardless of package) So I went with BT Infinity 1 which is Up to 38MB Download.

After a month now the day I was installed I get 27MB Download 6.9MB Upload, Over Wireless 26/26.5MB

Now If you can only get 33MB averagely, Would BT Infinity Option 1 not be better for you assuming it's cheaper.

Associate
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask.

I'm syncing at 52 MB yet utorrent is stuck at 1.1 1.2 mb (was 2.4 but I played with settings and i've messed it up) It seems i've not really got full use of speed torrents yet

Associate
Just wondering if anyone has got any experience of this.

I live in Ashford, Kent. 2KM away from my exchange which is accepting orders for fibre. Now when using the FTTC my cabinet status is "Removed or Deferred from deployment".

What does this actually mean? I find it hard to believe there is not enough interest in fibre as my estate is 7 years old and growing fast. If anything I would have thought it would be an ideal candidate to have it already installed. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Associate
Just wondering if anyone has got any experience of this.

I live in Ashford, Kent. 2KM away from my exchange which is accepting orders for fibre. Now when using the FTTC my cabinet status is "Removed or Deferred from deployment".

What does this actually mean? I find it hard to believe there is not enough interest in fibre as my estate is 7 years old and growing fast. If anything I would have thought it would be an ideal candidate to have it already installed. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Soldato
I have just had a look on the BT where and when site and it now says my exchange is accepting orders, but when I look up BT and sky's websites they still say its not avalible does anyone have any idea how long it takes to filter down to be able to order? by the looks of it all of the fibe cabinets im my area are in ( well the one I'm connected to is and a lot of others on the estate).

Man of Honour
So what is your sync rate? Is the Billion somehow getting around the limits imposed? Shouldn't be possible to get that high on an 80mbit sync....

The max profile seems to wander around a bit, when I first had it installed it was showing 0 (actually capped at 80 exactly), then for awhile it was wandering around 85 think I even saw 87 one time but for the last month or so its been 77 which seems to be what most people at full speed are capped at now.

EDIT: I think BT have sometimes played around with uncapping and stuff to as once or twice I have been downloading something on say iTunes and suddenly out of nowhere the speeds will burst up from around 74MBit/s to almost 200MBit/s for a few moments and the file will complete way quicker than it could at my normal speeds and plays fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Finally, six months after seeing the cabinet installed I've been able to place an order, sky fibre getting installed on the 5th of July! Can't wait to move on from the 2 meg line I have at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom