Gigabyte 787m-D34 not detecting graphics card

Associate
Hi,

Recently upgraded to Haswell - bought a 1150 mobo and cpu

The mobo is a Gigabyte Z87m-D3H

The build was going fine until I installed my MSI HD 6850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card.

The motherboard simply doesn't detect it. It's sitting in the PCE-E 16x slot with a Xonar D2X in the 4x

I've been researching and it seems a lot of people had a similar issue with the Z77

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18492809 <- btw I don't have a dual bios, just the vanilla card.

The on-board graphics is the only way I get the monitor to come on. The gpu is definitely working, fans are spinning, the PCIE power connector is on and the card is sitting correctly.

I'm going to attempt to flash the bios.

Anyone got any other ideas?

EDIT: I've flashed the bios to F7b (beta). Tried changed the PCI-Lan to different gens 1/2/3

Regards,
Ben

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yep it is enabled.

I made the stupid mistake of disabling on-board graphics in the hope that might solve it...wrong.

Thank god I found a jumper from an old mobo sitting around otherwise it would have taken a lot longer to reset the cmos.

I'm attempting bios flash now.

EDIT: F6 didn't work. Attempting Beta F7d

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok, finally found the time to do more investigations.

I put the Xonar card in the 16x slot and there was no issue. The sound played fine.

I tried the graphics card in the old PC, just to be sure I hadn't damaged it. Again, all was fine.

This time I tried booting without the Xonar card installed - however, no go, monitor still refused to turn on.

I have to conclude, that this motherboard does not like my graphics card. There is no other explanation.

Associate
OP
I can't believe it, I finally worked it out. After getting a completely different motherboard and still having no success, I tried giving the card power from my old (now haswell compatible) power supply and what did you know, it worked.

My new 850w XFX (haswell compatible) power supply is not compatible with my MSI HD 6850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Back
Top Bottom