Cloud Storage & Backup Reccomendations

Soldato
I think YOU are missing the point here....

Quote :
"None of these services guarantee the protection of any files you upload, and there are no promises that these services won’t freely share your files and information with the government or other companies"

Then use an encrypted service like Wuala, Spideroak etc. The files are encrypted at the client side so not even the companies can decrypt for anyone.

Soldato
Crashplan

+1

They do special offers occassionally, got 3 years / 3 PCs for less than £1.40/month with unlimited data.

Already saved my bacon once after my backup drive and main HDD decided to die on the same day (would have lost 300Gb of family photos and videos like my daughters first birthday etc!!!!).

Well worth it, can't really think of anything else I'd trust as much as Crash plan.

Soldato
Still undecided. I want a Crashplan/Dropbox hybrid :)

Do both

I used dropbox for stuff I really dont' care if anyone else gets their hands on (Dropbox are not a company that seems to put security first) and Skydrive/Google drive for my personal doc which I may need access to occassionally.

Everything else and usually my docs as well go to Crashplan too - currently we have 850Gb of data on their servers.

Man of Honour
Op wants sync so if local storage (USB drive etc) is the chosen medium then you can't go wrong with FreeFileSync for power, speed and sync ability.

I use the software to sync all my computers/devices to external drives and it's the most convenient way I have found.

I would not use cloud storage for anything other than files I'm temporarily shifting around or sending files to people far away if my personal 20GB of web host wasn't enough.

Soldato
Depends how much data you want to backup.

I personally use Carbonite but have been hearing good things about Backblaze (no upload speed cap compared to Carbonite).

Both have great features and offer mobile options as well.

Soldato
I'd be wary of Crashplan - they massively oversubscribed their service for a while, and were nothing but a pain to deal with....and then they lost all my backups so had to start again. I'm not the only one either - check out their FB page for other examples.

I ended up going Mozy (They then whacked up their prices LOADS) -> Crashplan (become incredibly slow, they lost my stuff) -> BackBlaze.

BackBlaze has been great so far. Only downside is less flexibility in the client. You don't so much select what you want to backup, more select what you DON'T want to backup. A bit of a bizarre way of doing things really.

Man of Honour
I think it very much depends what devices you have. If they're pretty much one firm, then their solution will almost certainly be easier and more integrated. If you use multiple devices wth different OS then it gets tricker.

Associate
Still undecided. I want a Crashplan/Dropbox hybrid :)

Use sugarsync to store data. You can increase you storage up-to 32 gigs through referral. Upon each successful referral you will get 500mb. I have tried dropbox its features are more then awesome but you can not get more space as sugarsync. Their features are almost same

Soldato
Crashplan isn't meant to be fast, it's a trickle backup service essentially. Took me several weeks to sync initially, after that it's been pretty good at keeping itself up to date though.

Think my initial sync was around 250Gb and took about 5 weeks to complete, since then it's been creeping up. Fortunately it's faster coming down as I have had to do a complete restore after multiple HDD failures at the same time :)

I do have a local encrypted backup too, but wanted to test the service.

Soldato
I'm trying to move away from iCloud completely and apple devices. So first step was to ditch the iPhone. I have an up ad I want to swap for an android device and I will probably keep the mac book for the wife

I replaced my daily driver phone from an iPhone to a Nexus 4 (Nice phone but I'm going back to iOS later this year). The lack of iCloud syncing is a killer because everywhere else I'm using Apple devices. Dropbox is great for access files stored on, say my IMac on my Nexus 4 but despite being broken in places (and if you're a developer and don't cry when the words Core Data are said, then you are very special) iCloud really is the glue that keeps Apple devices so well in sync.

I suppose you pays your money and you takes your choice. Like I said in a post above I'd probably be wanting to roll my own cloud/backup that has encryption I can trust. However even that's a problem as legally you'd have to hand over your encryption keys anyway. Unless you use steganograpgy on the files you don't want anybody to access.

Encryption + steganograpgy plus DropBox should be secure enough for most people.

Oh and don't forget local backup is important too. Restoring from the cloud could be painful.

Back
Top Bottom