Having "everything on one device"

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I have a modern smartphone which is capable of doing all the mentioned functions in one unit ... but I also normally carry a separate iPod, watch and at home an alarm clock.

Why, well I had all of them prior to getting my first smart phone and they all work fine and are better at their individual tasks than the phone is at doing them. Also when i want to use the phone to make a call, or access the internet, I don't want to find that it's got a flat battery due to me using it to listen to music ...

Precisely. We are sacrificing functionality for apparent convenience. Only that this convneience doesn't perform as well as the individual items so it's counterproductive.

Soldato
I can't see this picture at work, but I imagine it's a facepalm or some witty image macro.

The amount of people not reading the OP in this thread must set a record. As I've said, it's about how well the phone can do them.

Why not use your smartphone to see what I put?

Or will that require too many buttons? :D

Soldato
first world problems

revert back op, but then you'd have an issue with the amount of devices you're going to need to carry :p

Soldato
Fixed

Real Books > eNonsense

FACT!

Plus they're better for the economy more jobs involved in creating paper or hard backed books = more peeps employed, Prices are reasonable rather than Fixed by the publishers and a certain tech company that'll remain nameless plus what'll happen to bookshelf manufacturers and Library's across the land they'll all go under!

For somebody on a tech forum you have a strange idea of advancement. Having worked in publishing myself, companies will only go under if they fail to move with the times and persist in suing more modern companies, rather than altering their own business processes.

Yes, some will go under. Manufacturers of stage coaches, papyrus, and videotapes have also gone under. Things advance.

Amazon, and companies like it, enables anyone who writes a book to publish it and bring it to market cheaply and independently. Publishers are rightly losing their places as the gatekeepers of information. Have a look at things like The Domino Project for a fantastic outline of what has already been done with this sort of publishing technology.

I agree with you that there are significant DRM issues currently. I don't like the fact that my books are tied into Amazon's ecosystem. However, ironically this kind of DRM was insisted on by publishers to foil piracy. In doing so, they tied themselves into Amazon's system. These issues will come out in the wash. Look at the music industry - iTunes always restricted rights over downloads of its music. Companies like 7Digital have entered the market, drawing customers away from iTunes with DRM-free offerings. Apple subsequently removed the DRM on its music.

Kobo has entered the market, and is doing a decent job of making its name known. As publishers sort their own processes out and Amazon start to lose some traction, the restrictions we currently see on eBooks will fall away.

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems that the simpler a device's task is, the better it is at doing it.

Hasnt this always been the case?

The fanatical audiophiles will choose dedicated audio equipment than built in options
The professional photographers will choose a DSLR over a built in camera
The taxi drivers will choose a dedicated sat nav unit rather than the built in app
Etc, etc

IMO an all-in one device does none of it perfectly as it has to accommodate for every other function which creates a number of constraints.

What is that saying? "A jack of trades, a master of none"? Well, that is my feeling about smartphones that promise the earth.

Caporegime
This thread is a prime example of how scathing, belittling and downright miserable people on this forum can be.

I prefer more than one device OP for three reasons:-

1) It provides for additional battery life.

2) I have an extensive music collection that would not fit on my HTC One S, hence the need for an iPod.

3) In a wifi area, my Kindle Fire HD is multifunctional and a preference to internet browsing on a phone.

Soldato
This thread is a prime example of how scathing, belittling and downright miserable people on this forum can be.

The only thing this thread is a prime example of is the inability for most the folk on here to listen to people whine on about their problems which aren't problems at all.

Fact of the matter is, "the" smartphone is a fantastic device that allows 99% of users to have all the equipment they need in their pocket without having to carry anything else.

I'm not really interested in hearing about people moan that their lives are easier thanks to an invention.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I'm not really interested in hearing about people moan that their lives are easier thanks to an invention.

But there's the rub, they're not more convenient. It's hardly convenient for me to want to listen to music on the way to work only to find I have no battery to do it on the way home. If I need to make an important call I can't. If I want to send a text I can't.

I don't want to have to charge my phone while at work. I shouldn't have to. Time was when a phone could go a week on a single charge, now they can't go a day. Yes, they do more but it makes things far more inconvenient in the long run.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP

Yes, I was surprised at the backlash. Kind of proud that I managed to get so many scathing replies unintentionally on one page though. I'm sure the topic about Niburian gold-miners got less.

Soldato
But there's the rub, they're not more convenient. It's hardly convenient for me to want to listen to music on the way to work only to find I have no battery to do it on the way home. If I need to make an important call I can't. If I want to send a text I can't.

I don't want to have to charge my phone while at work. I shouldn't have to. Time was when a phone could go a week on a single charge, now they can't go a day. Yes, they do more but it makes things far more inconvenient in the long run.

I disabled internet on my phone and it lasts about a week now on one charge.
Unfortunately battery technology isn't getting better at the same rate as everything else.

Soldato
I disabled internet on my phone and it lasts about a week now on one charge.
Unfortunately battery technology isn't getting better at the same rate as everything else.

Agreed, its no shock that using a phone more causes it to lose battery at a faster rate. Use it as just a phone and it'll last for days on end. Use it as replacement for multiple devices and expect the battery to last as if its powering multiple devices all at once.

Associate
I think people just are just less able to see things from other peoples views these days.

Smart phones are great fo most people because they allow access to 99% of the things people want. It is designed around brief interactions with the user.

But as said previously by people if you have a NEED for tasks needing more micro management/accuracy/long usage. A dedicated device is better.

For somebody on a tech forum you have a strange idea of advancement. Having worked in publishing myself, companies will only go under if they fail to move with the times and persist in suing more modern companies, rather than altering their own business processes.

Yes, some will go under. Manufacturers of stage coaches, papyrus, and videotapes have also gone under. Things advance.

Amazon, and companies like it, enables anyone who writes a book to publish it and bring it to market cheaply and independently. Publishers are rightly losing their places as the gatekeepers of information. Have a look at things like The Domino Project for a fantastic outline of what has already been done with this sort of publishing technology.

I agree with you that there are significant DRM issues currently. I don't like the fact that my books are tied into Amazon's ecosystem. However, ironically this kind of DRM was insisted on by publishers to foil piracy. In doing so, they tied themselves into Amazon's system. These issues will come out in the wash. Look at the music industry - iTunes always restricted rights over downloads of its music. Companies like 7Digital have entered the market, drawing customers away from iTunes with DRM-free offerings. Apple subsequently removed the DRM on its music.

Kobo has entered the market, and is doing a decent job of making its name known. As publishers sort their own processes out and Amazon start to lose some traction, the restrictions we currently see on eBooks will fall away.

TBH I just prefer the physical experience I mean you walk into a bookstore or library looking for a specific book while you're searching you can come across many more gems as you search, with the ebooks that's taken away from you as you search for what you want you get it thus you tend to read less as a result. Plus if you were stranded on a desert Island with your kindle your ****** with a book or two at least you can build a fire and wipe your ****!

Camera - Canon Powershot G9, so I use that

Watch - ditched it when I got my Nokia 6600 in 2004 and never had one since

Calculator - on my phone

Calendar - on my phone

MP3 player - on my phone

Torch - on my phone but I do have other torches as well

Newspaper - subscription to the Times on my phone

So yeah it's just the camera I haven't ditched because it's a bridge camera. Surfing the net and games are half-and-half computer and phone.

Caporegime
My mp3 can indeed select the song I want with one click. It's called the skip button which is on the front of the player. And there is an 'album change' button on the top. My phone doesn't work the same way. You have to unlock, go to music player, go to menu, go to albums and then choose one.

the play and skip buttons are on your headphone cable. nearly all phones support, skip/play pause/volume control through the headphone jack.

Soldato
op next post - i have to carry a bag around to hold all my devices.

must be too much effort to reach into your pocket and slide your finger across it.

first world problems...

Back
Top Bottom