Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Do you know what happened to Swift? He was split off from the two breakaways for a while just going round on his own, but i notice he ended up DNF.
I'm not sure. After he was dropped from the front group, he joined the chasing group behind with 5-6 riders including his teammate Luke Rowe. With about 4 laps to go, i saw the 2 of them sitting on the back discussing something (one of my very few photos that came out slightly in focus :p) Next time they come round Rowe is on his own with about a minute gap on the group he was in and Swift has disappeared.
My guess is that they got a slight advantage and Swift buried himself to get a good gap for Rowe then retired. No idea if that's what actually happened tho.

Soldato
Great day at the Nationals in Glasgow today. Weather stayed dry and was pretty awesome to see so many big names in the flesh.

Armitstead put in an amazing last lap to take the womens race, with the lovely Miss L Trott coming in second but winning the under 23s.

In the mens, Millar, Kennaugh, Cav and Stannard lead in the breakaway from about the halfway point. Kennaugh then got dropped with a lap or two to go, and although Millar tried to break for it near the end, they couldn't shake off Cav who unsurprisingly nailed them in the sprint.

Pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1069...ms/5892781130634747201?authkey=CNP29qG4vbXvHQ

Nice photos Ted, looks like you managed to get in some great viewing spots!

Course looks dead quiet at some points though, bit of a shame.

Associate
Nice photos Ted, looks like you managed to get in some great viewing spots!

Course looks dead quiet at some points though, bit of a shame.

Yeah, we were surprised at how quiet it was at some spots. But i think most folk tended to congregate at the same few areas. The bit where it looks really quiet is where they swing off of Woodlands road and up a little back street before coming down the cobbles - most people were either on Woodlands at that bit or at the sharp right hander where they came off the cobbles. Estimates are that there were around 30k there anyway, which is a decent turnout in a city where sporting events tend to be sponsored by Greggs! :D

Soldato
Is there anywhere to watch the highlights of the race? i thought they might have had it on live but they didnt have anything

Soldato
Those rides are great for riding in a group. Especially with that wind.

Fancy this next weekend? http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/

I'm still undecided between the medium and long routes

Had a look at that and looked ok. But after this weekend I don't want another wet and windy 100 miler. I deserve a dry and warm one! :D

I'm very sore from yesterday, so I'll see how I feel later in the week. Might be tempted by the medium if the weather isn't horrible.

Soldato
Had a look at that and looked ok. But after this weekend I don't want another wet and windy 100 miler. I deserve a dry and warm one! :D

I'm very sore from yesterday, so I'll see how I feel later in the week. Might be tempted by the medium if the weather isn't horrible.

I'm thinking medium at the moment. Hopefully the weather will be better this weekend.

Soldato
I need a new front deraileur gear cable for my 2012 Ultegra.

A) Are gear cables pretty much all the same? Should I buy Shimano only or any recommended?
B) Are they easy to fit? I wouldn't mind giving it a go myself and if I can't do it ill take it to the LBS.
C) where is best to buy from?

Thanks

Soldato

A) Are gear cables pretty much all the same? Should I buy Shimano only or any recommended?
B) Are they easy to fit? I wouldn't mind giving it a go myself and if I can't do it ill take it to the LBS.

Thanks

get a cable that supports shimano shifters.. the metal heads the end are different sized :) i've got mine from evans for 5.99 - make sure its a GEAR cable and supports shimano shifters.

fidly to get the first bit in but the rest is easy-ish :) see no point for LBS tbh

any online shop ? if you're going to get it from highstreet get it at evanscycles.

Soldato

Thanks

I use Gore, SRAM (made by Gore), Shimano or Jagwire. I recently used Clarks and they are poor (outers compressed on cutting and cables frayed when I looked at them sideways).

As with most things, how easy it is can 'depend'.

If it's just the cable then you might be able to pull the old one out and feed the new one though your shifter (I keep missing the f of that, which could cause injury), though the existing outers and to the mech.

If you've got to replace the lot then you need to cut the outers to length and re-tape your bars.

Cutting outers is much easier if you've got the right tool.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-professional-cable-and-housing-cutter/

Without it you can end up repeatedly crushing the outer so the cable won't go though smoothly.

Soldato
Blanco rebranded as belkin Pro Cycling in time for the Tour.

New kit:
8vb3.png

I dont like it as much as the Blanco kit, but it's far from the worst looking stuff in the peloton.

Soldato
My colleague has just sent me this:

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/frames-c6/road-frames-c112/scott-cr1-pro-hmf-road-frame-set-2012-p194664

How much of a deal is that in reality? I would imagine swapping over my Boardman Road Comps components wouldn't be trivial?

Yes it is a great deal, though you missed out on the CR1 SLs they were doing for £499 down from £2,500. They sold 300 of them in two weeks.

For swapping all the kit over, a decent LBS will do it for under £100.

Soldato
Got some pictures from Sunday off my dad's camera. All of the pics i took on my little compact were crap :( Luckily, my dad has a proper camera and got some pretty good photos, here are some of the better ones:

1005138_10151617160781245_19001112_n.jpg

Lead group of Women's race (Armitstead obscured at the back, Laura Trott on the left, Dani King on the right and Emma Trott at the front)

1010590_10151617161136245_1896832042_n.jpg

Cav

1010176_10151617161326245_1816160585_n.jpg

Millar, Swift, Cav

1044070_10151617161526245_981918583_n.jpg

Node4 rider taking a tight line round the corner.

998245_10151617161751245_1328620047_n.jpg

Chase group of Millar, Swift, Kennaugh about 30 secs behind Stannard + Fenn

1016111_10151617161771245_2088295329_n.jpg

Stannard working hard at the front of the break.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom