Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Fast ride in this morning (for me) http://app.strava.com/activities/63142771

Haven't cracked the 20mph average on a morning commute yet, it'll come though I am sure.

Cycling round Donington Park circuit tonight, should be a laugh.

its like you've got no traffic lights lol..

look at my commute this morning.. each dip is a traffic light or traffic that makes me stop..

4.png

Soldato
But you're a cyclist in London, why stop at the lights? :p

You're right, I don't have any traffic lights and only a couple of junctions that require stopping.

good question, i guess i still enjoy living this life lol!

i do jump red lights.. or crossings mostly when no one is crossing but junctions etc neh, ill stop and wait :)

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24522615 said:
Is he disappointed or relieved?
A little of both. On the down side, I have nobody to ride with now. On the plus side, I don't have to try to keep up with Platypus.

I guess I could work on getting grudas to come along. It should be fairly easy to keep up with him, especially once the seams in his jeans start to shred his thighs 80 miles in. Maybe I should consider trying to find a proper cyclist to ride with instead...

Zing/oh snap/etc. ;)

Soldato
A little of both. On the down side, I have nobody to ride with now. On the plus side, I don't have to try to keep up with Platypus.

I guess I could work on getting grudas to come along. It should be fairly easy to keep up with him, especially once the seams in his jeans start to shred his thighs 80 miles in. Maybe I should consider trying to find a proper cyclist to ride with instead...

Zing/oh snap/etc. ;)

I might be going up, I know a few of my buddies are. However I wouldn't worry to much there's so many people on the DD that you can always find a group to match your pace.

Soldato

Zing/oh snap/etc. ;)

ohhhhhhha a proper cyclist? how dare you :o my jeans are comfy as heck.. i lie i lie.. :) ill probably get cheapo shorts with padding when we go for 120 mile ride.. or ill MTFU and do it in jeans.

*Grabs popcorn* :D

:p

Soldato
Traffic lights only = recovery time anyway ;)

Been riding my rollers all week as been too busy with work to ride outdoors.

Did 30 minutes the first three days and 45 minutes tonight. 10-15 minute warm up, then 2.5 minutes hard at ~175bpm, down one gear for 2.5 minutes, then back up a gear to ~175bpm, repeat.

My thinking was in a small group you would do turns of perhaps 1km (1.45-2 minutes) at the front of the group, so this is where I want to build strength, and then have a short recovery time before your turn on the front again.

I didn't feel it too much in my legs after 30 minutes, but after 45 tonight they are noticeable. I've got off the bike each time with the sweat running off me, so the efforts being put in! I'll have to start increasing the length to 45-60 minutes, and I'm not sure how rollers will compare to doing hill reps, I'm quite good on hills and don't want to lose that ability.

Soldato
Traffic lights only = recovery time anyway ;)

Been riding my rollers all week as been too busy with work to ride outdoors.

Did 30 minutes the first three days and 45 minutes tonight. 10-15 minute warm up, then 2.5 minutes hard at ~175bpm, down one gear for 2.5 minutes, then back up a gear to ~175bpm, repeat.

My thinking was in a small group you would do turns of perhaps 1km (1.45-2 minutes) at the front of the group, so this is where I want to build strength, and then have a short recovery time before your turn on the front again.

I didn't feel it too much in my legs after 30 minutes, but after 45 tonight they are noticeable. I've got off the bike each time with the sweat running off me, so the efforts being put in! I'll have to start increasing the length to 45-60 minutes, and I'm not sure how rollers will compare to doing hill reps, I'm quite good on hills and don't want to lose that ability.

not really, id love to say you "recover" and you probably do on the long ones, but generally you waste just as much energy getting back up to speed in your cruising/riding gear.. - changing up and down every 5 mins gets tiresome so im used to pushing higher gears..

olv

olv

Soldato
In a car you wouldn't pull away from traffic lights in third gear so why do it on your bike? No wonder you are knackered getting back up to speed :p

Soldato
In a car you wouldn't pull away from traffic lights in third gear so why do it on your bike? No wonder you are knackered getting back up to speed :p

yeah when you have two junctions to stop in 10 miles its cool to change down the gear, but doing it once every 5 mins its just wee take.. :) and i've never said i was knackered lol

Caporegime

Zing/oh snap/etc. ;)

Ah its on Saturday. I thought for some reason it was Friday night. If I give my rapidly ageing knees a day off on Friday, I wonder..

I'll be honest. Still sorely tempted. Could cycle up to Ipswich and then train back..

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah when you have two junctions to stop in 10 miles its cool to change down the gear, but doing it once every 5 mins its just wee take.. :) and i've never said i was knackered lol

I hope pulling off those junctions, you aren't on an incline.
I had to stop at a roundabout when a beemer zoomed down from the right, but stopped dead to 'let me go' - nice gesture but riding hard up an incline when I didn't change down properly because I stopped quickly almost popped my knee!

Associate
Good shoes to be sure, and I don't mean to rain on your parade but I just don't like them. I think I've unwittingly become even more of a snob since being allowed to buy Rapha. The only important thing of course is that they are actually comfortable for you. I still can't rate anything higher than Sidi.

Hehe everyone is entitled to their own opinion:D
I was looking into getting some sidis but when the deal came up for these at £129.99 i snapped them up.

Maybe one day ill be able to afford some rapha gear :(

Caporegime
Hehe everyone is entitled to their own opinion:D
I was looking into getting some sidis but when the deal came up for these at £129.99 i snapped them up.

Maybe one day ill be able to afford some rapha gear :(

Yeah of course, just personal opinion.

I won't ever buy Rapha shoes I don't think. Sidis are just too damned comfortable.

Soldato
Yeah of course, just personal opinion.

I won't ever buy Rapha shoes I don't think. Sidis are just too damned comfortable.

I really like my Bonts, don't notice they are on.

They are only the bottom end A-Three but the higher models just get a full CF sole and a bit lighter. The Vaypors are slightly different but three times the price. The Rapha shoes are pretty eye watering, and in white you had better be a quick rider!

I was set to get the Shimano R088 going off the Internet reviews and price until I tried them on and they were too narrow. Shoes are a bit hit and miss buying online.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom