what car to get?

Associate
Hi,

My other half is looking to get a new ish motor she's looking for a couple of years old and no more than 20k on the clock. Budget of 20k, so what is the best she can get for the money?.

Now the only down side is she want's to get an estate and it has to be pretty good on fuel so looking at 40mpg+ diesel and finally an automatic or semi auto.

So far we have drawn a short list of

VW Passat
BMW 320D (my choice)
Ford Mondeo
Vauxhall Insignia
Honda Accord

What one would you go for?? or any recommendations for anything different at that price point?

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you getting the new 3 for that cash? If so that's what i'd have, then sell it or extend the warranty. Accord would probably be my next choice but I think i'd drop the budget significantly for one

Caporegime
Add the A4 to that list. Maybe even the A6.

With the A4, you should be able to get a facelift for that money, or if you can stretch a few k a decent facelift SE Technik Avant, which comes pretty well specced.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Add the A4 to that list. Maybe even the A6.

With the A4, you should be able to get a facelift for that money, or if you can stretch a few k a decent facelift SE Technik Avant, which comes pretty well specced.

We do like the A4 and A6 but they seem out of budget. Was looking at the
Seat Exeo, some people are saying it's just a rebadged Audi A4?

Associate
OP
Are you getting the new 3 for that cash? If so that's what i'd have, then sell it or extend the warranty. Accord would probably be my next choice but I think i'd drop the budget significantly for one

I think they do a very new shape only a year old and they are way out of budget. so it would be 2011 -2012 shape

Caporegime
The Seat Exeo is a rebranded A4, but it's the previous 2002 - 2008 generation car. Certainly not worth spending £20k on!

Even on Audi's approved used site there are current 2013 facelift (began July 2012) models with under 5,000 miles for 22,5k and under.

Associate
OP
How many miles a year are you expecting to do? And why no more than 20k on the clock?

I recon she does about 20k a year or just over, as for why she only wants a car with 20k on the clock. I think it's because she wants it to be still quite new.

I bought a car with 75k on the clock but motorway miles a some years ago and it was great but, to me it's more how it got the miles rather than how many it's got, but that's what she wants. I also personally like petrol cars over diesel but again that's not what she wants.

Soldato
got any suggestions for better cars with reasonable mpg and low road tax and insurance that wont cost an arm and a leg?

Pretty much all of the cars on your list, but not for £20,000. Spending 20 grand so you can save a bit on fuel isn't all that logical. I get the "i want a newish car thing" perfectly, i get the "i want a 20k car" and i get the "i want an economical car thing" but i just don't get spending £20000 on a newish, economical car.

If you halved your budget there would be still be loads of Mondeos/Passats/Vauxhalls/Accords etc still to choose from.

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306257480405

For example this. I just did a 30 second search and found it (so bare with me if it sneakily says "CAT D" or something in the text.)

Or this

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306167317137

My opinion is there is absolutely no reason to blow £20000 on something as drab and dreary as something like a VW Passat 2.0TDI 140bhp. Hell, i wouldn't even spend £10k on one, but at least i could understand why someone would.

Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom