PSU - Stick with Corsair or XFX worth a shot?

Soldato
My last two PSUs have both been Corsair (a HX and TX) and both were solid as a rock and never gave me any issues. I need a new modular PSU and have been looking at the HX850 but I have noticed in the majority of the latest "spec me" threads the XFX 750 Pro and the 850 Pro are recommended, being sub 100 quid.

Did XFX fix the "clicking" issue that use to occur on their PSU's a few years ago? Are they worth a shot these days or stick to Corsair?

Soldato
Xfx are certainly worthy psu's and represent slightly better value for money. But like yourself I've always gone corsair and have never let me down, so really just a decision of personal choice

Soldato
I have seen a test with 670 setup that had a much more power hungry cpu and mobo, an overclocked near 4ghz i7 965, X58, with watercooling and cathode lights and all power saving turned off and guess what at full GPU load it was pulling 279w. Your modern setup will pull less than than that even. Same setup with SLI 670 with 100% GPU load was 433w for the whole system and triple SLI with three 670 cards at full load the system total was 583w. Say your system will use 250w you will be using 30% of an 850w PSU if your GPU is getting pushed to the limit and PSU`s are not so efficient at low loads like that. I say get a 650w instead because it will be more than enough even if you go SLI and you will be hitting a better PSU load with near 90% efficiancy.

Associate
I recently faced a similar dilemma, spent a good two weeks procrastinating about whether to go with a corsair again (moving from a still going strong since 2006 HX520) or trying something new. Read through loads of threads and reviews and finally stumped up the extra cash for the Corsair AX760 "platinum" for £125. It's one of the few Corsairs still made with Seasonic as the OEM (as the previous HX520), whilst this is the same OEM as XFX I've trusted Corsair for the last 7 years and with a 7 year warranty on the AX I know can do so again :)

Although the XFX offers great value for money for me the extra points (fully modular, not semi, 2 years extra warranty, platinum efficiency, my past experience) offered by the Corsair more than justified the additional cash, after all the PSU is the most important part of your system and if you buy the right one it will see you through 3-4 system upgrades.

Check this review of the AX760, it helped finalise my decision http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-AX760-Power-Supply-Review/1687

Only reason I upgraded was I just got a 7970 and the HX520's max AMPs were under what Gigabyte and ATi recommend for supplying one of these (plus I wanted a new toy...)

Permabanned
I'm not having a dig here but I have never had this question answered- Why do people have no problems recomending an XFX psu but swear away from an XFX gpu? I know not to buy XFX gpus because the RMA process is a nightmare but surely the PSU process is the same?

Caporegime
xfx psu's are made by seasonic so that's why they are recommended a lot,seasonic being the best you can get in the psu world

xfx gpu's are a different story however

the clicking issues were fixed a long while ago,and they are silent

Soldato
XFX here. Holds my rig perfectly whilst being silent. SLI GTX670s with v1.212 bios mod @ 1254MHz each, cpu is at v1.4-44 4.8GHz.

I would go XFX :)

Permabanned
xfx psu's are made by seasonic so that's why they are recommended a lot,seasonic being the best you can get in the psu world

xfx gpu's are a different story however

the clicking issues were fixed a long while ago,and they are silent

Fair enough but they are still under XFX cust services are they not? If so it wouldnt matter who made them because its still XFX's shoddy cust services dealing with it.

Soldato
I picked up a CX600 not that long ago. Thats now in running an I7/980 PC with 8GB, an SSD for C: and a 320GB for D:, one DVDRW and a GTX260. Of course thats not going to load it up mind you, but its doing nicely.

I also have a 500 too and I am damned near 100% sure thats a CX but I may get back to you on that.

If Im correct, the PC thats running is the 3.2Ghz HGexCore AMD and so that will be running 4x2GB RAM, a GTX250, but 2x40GBSSD and 2x400GB. Again, this has been worked a little harder but again, happy days.

Back
Top Bottom