iPhone 5 - Cracked glass! DIY or Out-Of-Warranty?

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm managed to crack the top right corner of the glass on my iPhone 5.

I'm looking at the cost of an out-of-warranty replacement from Apple, seems to be ~£186.

I can get a replacement glass screen off EBay for around £10 and fit it myself.

If I mess it up and knacker the phone, could I go down the route of an out-of-warranty replacement anyway?

Associate
There's loads of shops that'll replace the screen for £20-ish.

The last two people I know who opened up their iPhone had problems with the mic, speaker or charging not working. You may be ok, but that tells me it's not an easy job to get right.

Soldato
Warranty won't cover a smashed screen - I think by 'out of warranty' OP means repair outside of warranty.

Also, don't bother with the 10 quid replacement glass screens from ebay - they're practically impossible to fit. You really need the screen AND the digitizer behind it...and they're 150 quid+ I think?

Soldato
What happened to the easy glass replacement of the 3GS days

Yeah, we all miss those days where so much dust built up behind the glass nut you could basically couldn't see the display itself...

The display is bonded to the glass, so you won't want to replace just the glass itself. Sounds steep but the best option is just to get a replacement from Apple (it isn't that bad considering that I don't think anyone else even offers such an option).

If the rest of the phone is in good condition, replacing the display would be fine.

Associate
You can get a whole "iphone 5 display assembly" from the auction site for far cheaper than apple. These are fairly straight forward to replace yourself, compared to just the glass.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
There's loads of shops that'll replace the screen for £20-ish.

The last two people I know who opened up their iPhone had problems with the mic, speaker or charging not working. You may be ok, but that tells me it's not an easy job to get right.

Lol £20?? yea right mate....

Don't try and change just the glass as you won't and you will mess the phone up and apple won't honour that out of warranty swap.

The screens are about £100 on eBay

Soldato
You must get the £100+ part from eBay.
Make sure its one with all parts in with frame or you will waste time.

Its a 10 min repair at most. Once done apple won't know its been done so warranty is intact.

I do around 5 a week currenty

HAz

HAz

Soldato

Its a 10 min repair at most. Once done apple won't know its been done so warranty is intact.

Wow u find 5 people a week that pay over £100 to fix their iPhone 5 screens?

I never get a reply when I tell them how much the part costs, so many time wasters expecting their £500 phones to cost a tenner to repair.

Soldato
OP

I'm assuming I still need to remove the camera, home button etc for replacement on the new screen?

Also are they exactly the same as the ones Apple use?

Soldato
I'm assuming I still need to remove the camera, home button etc for replacement on the new screen?

Also are they exactly the same as the ones Apple use?

If you get the right part then no.

They are third party on ebay, the expensive ones are genuine.

Back
Top Bottom