Endless Space - 4x4 Strategy Space Game ( INDIE )

Soldato
Something to bear in mind with the reviews and feedback in here is it pre-dates the four free Add-on packs. No idea if they have improved upon the game.

Also the Disharmony expansion (cheapest place is Greenman Gaming and use 25% coupon code if works).

Could do with another free Steam weekend to see how it holds up now.

Last edited:
Associate
Interested in knowing what others think of this too (post updates).

A friend who has played the original Endless Space (pre free updates) described it as a soul-less version of MOO2.

Soldato
Potentially a noddy question, I bought this in one of the previous steam sales, but haven't actually played it. Would I have got these free ad-on packs through steam automatically, or are they separate?

Caporegime
OP
The AI is in this game is so tedious!

For example I'm at war and my ships are well placed but they keep spamming endless fleets, no wonder they call this game Endless. No idea how they produce so many ships and advance so fast, when i'm a level beyond them! My ships of 3000 versus their max of 900 times got pounded by so many spammed ships.

Then there's the other issue. When a planet is being defended as soon as you move a ship out of that sector, the AI auto sends in a fleet. Happens every time, so you end up having ships everywhere defending while being spammed.

Then one more, i'm currently friendly/neutral to a race and if any ship colony or scout moves into a sector they auto attack it. Attacking a ship without cause would be paramount to war in any other sci-fi movie/game. They should send out a warning, leave now e.t.c

Also the new bombing a planet is very time consuming and the camera angles suck arse.

It's an average game with SO much potential, the exp has just made it worse :(

Soldato
He couldn't have said it better, Endless Space had such 'potential' but all in all turned out to be another tedious 4X game that doesn't really work, its a massive problem with all strategy games period to be fair, the fact their AI is unholy talented in the most retarded fashion possible.

Its one of the things that renders a game of Supreme Commander into a pointless spamming war, because the stupid AI either creates a 'cheating' challenge where it is all knowing, all seeing, or its totally retarded, there is no middle ground. So having a nice casual game with a mate is impossible, its either fight the cheating AI for a 'challenge' and the Cybran as an example become just crap because non of their stealth stuff works or suffer the intolerable monotony of playing human 'rush, rush, and guess what, rush' players.

Endless Space suffers a lot of problems Star Trek: Birth of the Federation had, which was the AI did things that were frankly within the constraints of the game engine, impossible. Yet every single game you had it would do these things. :(

Associate
Thanks for the write up, Gashman.
Shame about the cheating AI, as that is the main driver against purchase - I really want to like this game, because the UI looks so darn pretty.

Caporegime
OP
Yep, that cheating AI keeps appearing in Endless Space. Reading through the Endless Space forums two things are most mentioned

Cheating AI
Balancing

Associate
I played this a while ago and it was somewhat enjoyable up to a point where I still wasnt able to match the normal ai in regards to any field. Its a very nice looking game as well!
Probably wont play again but if they release a major patch which makes things a little easier then that will really help it.

Soldato
What's this like now ? you can get Endless space Gold (base game+Disharmony) for £9 on steam atm, tempted but worried there are still game breaking problems.

Soldato
Still suffers from AI issues and spamming fleets :/

I wouldn't pay anymore than a fiver for it

cheers mate, I'll save the dosh for something different in the sales.

**just read an updated review here and it seems the game is still a few patches away from being fixed :( **

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Thought i'd have a quick go today just for something to do and well that damn AI! I've tried four different ways now and each time it ends up with an AI attacking you for no damn reason, then every faction goes to war with you. Why don't they go to war with everyone else?

Oh and ofcause the great fleet spam, the never ending fleets on a constant run towards your planets even if you defeat em. :(

Soldato
Early days for me, as I just bought the game in the sale, but it does irk me how diplomacy just doesn't seem to exist in the early encounter stages.

As in, you first encounter a race, enter the diplomacy screen and have NO options whatsoever to approach them or enter into politics. Instead, you're immediately at "Cold War", and they'll just start hitting your fleets after a couple of turns. For seemingly no reason whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just not grasping it properly (strong possibility as it's a first run), but it struck me as very odd.

Associate
Early days for me, as I just bought the game in the sale, but it does irk me how diplomacy just doesn't seem to exist in the early encounter stages.

As in, you first encounter a race, enter the diplomacy screen and have NO options whatsoever to approach them or enter into politics. Instead, you're immediately at "Cold War", and they'll just start hitting your fleets after a couple of turns. For seemingly no reason whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just not grasping it properly (strong possibility as it's a first run), but it struck me as very odd.

lol, it actually sounds the same as Civ V :p

Back
Top Bottom