Young Drivers Test - Silverstone July 17-19 - anyone going?

Soldato
the FIA have said drivers can only help in tire dvelopment, not car development.

I bet all the teams work on car with their young drivers and not bother with tire testing.

Excluding mercedes of course who can't go.

Caporegime
the FIA have said drivers can only help in tire dvelopment, not car development.

I bet all the teams work on car with their young drivers and not bother with tire testing.

Excluding mercedes of course who can't go.

Really? I think the 6 failures in 1 weekend will be enough for every team to do a day of tyre development. Seems that everyone except Mercedes are getting a 2013 car Pirelli tyre test.

If its extended to a 4th day it would be great, I can make that so long as its the 20th.

Caporegime
No doubt the teams will **** and moan about not being able to try new parts but Ferrari and Red Bull get their wish for a 'Pirelli' test. I just hope Pirelli and the FIA put their foot down and say 'NO NEW PARTS' and 'NO SETUP CHANGES' so they get a consistent baseline.

Soldato
So now that the YDT is not a YDT any more, will mercedes be allowed back in?

If the other teams are not allowed to make setup changes and try out new parts then i cant see mercedes having an issue with staying out, but if the teams have free reign over setup/parts/running etc this will surely get Mercedes hackles up, and i wouldnt blame them.

Soldato
So now that the YDT is not a YDT any more, will mercedes be allowed back in?

Nope and apparently Mercedes have agreed to that.

Autosport said:
Although the Silverstone test is now no longer the official young driver test, Mercedes has agreed not to run there as part of its punishment for running a 2013 car at Barcelona earlier this year when it tried to help Pirelli with its delamination issues.
Source: Autosport | Race drivers will be allowed in Silverstone young driver test

If the other teams are not allowed to make setup changes and try out new parts then i cant see mercedes having an issue with staying out, but if the teams have free reign over setup/parts/running etc this will surely get Mercedes hackles up, and i wouldnt blame them.
Well they shouldn't have broken the rules then. Many argued that Mercedes got off lightly.

The teams were free to run development parts in the young drivers test anyway as far as I'm aware. Now they can only run development parts if a qualifying young driver is in the car - if the regular race driver is in the car then they have to use a previous spec car and it will be deemed a tyre test however long that driver is in the car.

Caporegime
They all say they want the tires sorting but I bet they would rather have 3 days if car testing instead.

They will get both. Its looking likely that the test will go to 4 days, and I would expect Pirelli to want all testing done on the same day to provide consistent data across the teams. And even if it isn't that structured, I doubt the teams would want to eat into their 3 days of development time.

Back
Top Bottom