Dial up Modem programming

Associate
How do I program my dial up modem to make a phone call. I want it to maintain a connection to a phone number like dialup internet but to a number that isn't an internet dial up network.

Thanks

Associate
Nearly all MODEMs (including the data connections in modern smartphones) use extensions of the AT command set. You'll need to use some API to send the correct sequence of AT commands to your MODEM.

After having to do some of this at work, all I can say is good luck!

Soldato
Something like WVDial on Linux and a USB or Serial model will do what you want, it's really easy to setup and you can just give it a number to dial.

Associate
OP
Something like WVDial on Linux and a USB or Serial model will do what you want, it's really easy to setup and you can just give it a number to dial.
Thanks can I set the length of phone call ? and also can it deffo connect to non ISP number.

Soldato
Open COM X, send the following command:

Code:
ATD 01234567890;

This will dial, and the ";" will return you to Command mode, rather than trying to handshake.

Then, when you need to, send the following command to hang up.:

Code:
ATH

It's been quite a while since I did anything with AT commands (and I was doing it to a T68i mobile phone hooked up via a serial connection...), so this is mostly from memory plus a little google to help (I didn't know about the ; option before today, but knew about ATDT and ATH)

Soldato
I spent a little while last night putting together a little app for this for you in Visual Basic 6 - because I was bored :)

I've put the full source code, plus the executable, on my github.

I've not tested it with a modem, but I have hooked up a virtual COM port, and logged that it sends the commands out - what happens with a real modem though, I don't know.

I have included some OCX files in case your PC doesn't have them.

Hopefully it's straight forward enough to understand...

Back
Top Bottom