New headset

Associate
Hi guys looking for a new headset for around 100quid, dont wanna spend anymore than that tbh (i know what folk are like round here it sharp go's up in price lol)

I know a lot of guys swear by seperate headphone and desktop mic but im not interested in that. I've narrowed it down to a few i like, any input on the best pick would be welcome.

YOUR BASKET
1 x Asus Vulcan ANC PRO ROG Gaming Headset with ROG Spitfire USB Audio Processor *WITH FREE ASSASSINS CREED III PC GAME** £95.99
1 x Razer Blackshark - Expert 2.0 Gaming Headset £89.99
1 x CM Storm Sirus 5.1 Headset - Black £89.98
1 x Logitech G35 Gaming USB Headset PC 7.1Ch Surround Sound £82.68
1 x Asus Vulcan ANC Noise Cancelling ROG Gaming Headset £79.99
1 x Razer Tiamat Expert 2.2 Analog Gaming Headset £79.99
Total : £530.62 (includes shipping : £10.00).

Boom!

Associate
I have the asus vulcan anc headset at the moment, very comfortable good noise cancellation although sound is not as good with anc enabled. The mic could be better not as clear as my old sennh pc 161's. You could also look at qpad qh 90's, www.vortez.net/articles_pages/qpad_qh_90_review,1.html.
custom pc have these as their recommended set over the asus vulcan which they use to to recommend. My set is connected to an asus xonar dx7.1 pcie sound card no headphone amp on this card but but still plenty of bass which some sets lack. Are you connecting via usb or sound card ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, will be either useing usb or direct into the mobo, i really like the look of the vlucans but from my reserch many say the bass is lacking and somtimes they crackle when you move your head about so im not as keen on them now, will have a look at the qpads thx. Any thoughts on the CM storm? They look cool and have some canny specs to them

Associate
I have not experienced any crackle whilst moving my head and i find that they have plenty of bass to be honest some times too much, but then i can change the sound to suit my taste with the xonar software for my sound card. Have no experience of the CM storm i'm afraid. Good luck with your search.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-012-AS

You could always get the above, really good value for money and the use the software to alter sound to your tastes if you choose an analogue setup rather than usb.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had a pair or Roccat Kaves and they were awesome to be fair :) feel the bass!!!

I know you said sub £100 but I bought the Asus Zonar Xense Card+Sennheiser PC-350 combo for around £180ish (i think... can't remember xD ) and never looked back to be fair! Great card and great headphones, doo need to tweak the settings a little bit so that it doesn;t have a flat, lifeless sound... but a few clicks later and prepare for EARGASM! hehe The PC-360's are also top notch having borrowed a pair at lan to compare, sound is more vibrant and the bass is stronger than the 350's.. I dunno but I would assume you should run these through a sound card with headphone amp to get the best or they might not drive. Mic if clear too :)

Associate
OP
Ok so after a bit of thought i think i have arived at a conclustion. The 100 bugdet is as i was going to get a case aswell but that can wait i think. so YOUR BASKET
1 x Sennheiser PC 360 Gaming Headset £190.00
1 x Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp £25.99
Total : £226.79 (includes shipping : £9.00).

Forgot about sennhiser, i love them had some good headphones for recording guitar, they sounded amazing and were nice and comfy.

Was also looking at the platronics YOUR BASKET
1 x Plantronics GameCom Commander 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound Limited Edition Gaming Headset £249.98
Total : £260.78 (includes shipping : £9.00).

I dont think they need an amp? Not to sure tho.

Any input on them two picks guys?

Soldato
damnnn I forgot how expensive they were on their own xD

those plantronics are pricey xD.... not heard anything about them so can;t really comment except +1 for looking like aviation gear (although at that price not even at the decent bottom end of aviation headphones xD )

I used to have the Xonar DX 7.1 for my kaves which didn't have/require an amp and they worked fine with my headphones but yea the DG would be a good starting choice as it's got a headphone amp and you'll prob need to turn it up to med/high gain. I'd had a quick google about some various combinations of kit as it can give subtle (or drastic) changes to audio clarity/texture. think i googled about for a week and then bit the bullet and went for the Xense kit as it seemed the easiest (although not cheapest) option.

another option could be the PC 363 D headset which uses a usb audio device to the 3.5mm headphone jacks. I believe my clan mate has these (i think) and he says they are awesome. (He used to have the pc-350's and the xonar Essence XTS or what ever card.... got gotta be semi decent at least?) :)

my preference would be the sennheisers with either the DG or another soundcard after some googleing :D let's see what others have to say though :)

Associate
OP
Might actually just phone ocuk and see what the guys there reccomend. Makes sence buying somthing top quality and having to only buy once and not need another pair for a good long whilst (i hope lol)

Associate
If you go for the sennheiser, 350's are closed cup vents no sound. 360's vent sound out of ear cups so other people in the room will hear some of what your listening to. Also if you're spending that much on a headset to get the best out of them you really need a good sound card to pair with definitely not onboard sound. A card with an amp would be best also. Don't forget to check pci-e slots for room on mobo depending on your setup, easily forgotten sometimes especially if got multiple gpu's. Could checkout the sound forum section see what others are using. Good luck. The new creative cards are meant to be good could check those out the red ones.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You might want to check with OCUK if they're actually getting them in stock though as I haven't seen any on sale for a while!

Back
Top Bottom