Squash - Any good shout outs on rackets?

Soldato
Getting quite into my Squash now and skill level is rising rapidly thanks to free coaching through work so time to invest in a new racket.

I have a lot of power in my shots, both forehand and backhand but have started to phase out that style of play gradually and break the beginners habit of smashing it hard and low every time.

My game is taking on a much more controlled style and I'm after a racket that offers more control over power. Or at least one that doesn't compromise on either.

Just looking to see what others use and could maybe recommend ones to look at? Would love to try them somewhere but doesn't seem to be an option round my way that I can see.

Associate
Well, if you want a racquet that is focused on control then you should go for something that is head-light. This is what a large majority of the pro's and "good" amateurs use. I've always liked Dunlop racquets with a traditional, not oversized (around 470cm²) head, so whenever I break a racquet I just go with whatever is available for a good price that fits that criteria. At the moment this looks to be the Dunlop Aerogel 4D Pro GTX.

You really need to try one out before you buy though as if your technique is lacking you'll struggle to generate decent power, particularly from the corners or when stretching. If that's the case then I would suggest something with an oversized head and a more neutral balance.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info. My technique is certainly not as it should be through simply learning my own way...but I'm getting coaching every week now so my technique is improving massively.

It's strange at first adjusting but I hadn't played too long before so it's OK. The guy given lessons has coached 2 former world champions and the lessons are free so I've got lucky there.

But at my level, I've just picked up any decent feeling racket. The one I have is quite good but as I improve I need a better quality racket as I'm getting to the point where I can get more out of it.

I'll have to have more of a look to see if i can try them anywhere. Has to be somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom