Google Sync discontinued - No more push email?

Soldato
I'm using Mailbox on the phone, but with gmail app as a backup for when I want to search for old stuff, as mailbox seems crap at search (as does the built in mail app)

Associate
I plan to always restore from a backup in the hope that it won't kick me out :) Remains to be seen if it will know when I get a new handset though.

It won't work, just smashed my phone and restored to the replacement.. not working! There isn't even a paid for option if you are just using a @gmail.com account either, got to either use the GMail app, use your own domain with google apps or move away completely.

Associate
I'll be moving away from Google as soon as I next upgrade my phone. If they insist on making their service worse, someone else can data-mine my emails for advertisement purposes.

Associate
iOS 7 will see background downloads, triggered by push notifications.

The Gmail app will become on par with the native app, once they support that.

Soldato
I am slowly getting into 'apple' products.

I just want to ask something in this thread.

At the moment I have a googlemail email account. BUT I use it on my Blackberry. Soon I will be getting an iPhone. Can I use my googlemail email account on the iPhone, is this what this thread is all about please?

Thank you

Associate
You can still use your gmail account but you will either have to use the native Mail app (IMAP can be set to pull every 15mins) or use the GMail app which sends a notification when email comes in and pulls the email down when you open the app.

Associate
I simply use the native mail app for my gmail. I really like the sparrow app not having no push is a real PITA. I've tried both the gmail app and the mail app but don't like either, so simply push all my gmail through the native mail app and mix it in with my business email.

I use Sparrow on my MacAir, just a shame it has no place on the iPhone now...

Back
Top Bottom