Justin Carter put in jail for being sarcastic.

aln

aln

Associate
Threatening so shoot up a nursary is specific enough to raise eyebrows without the need to point out which.

Tweeting an airport you're going to blow them up if they don't fix the weather before you flight is akin to telling your mate dave you'll end him if he eats your last rolo.

You honestly find the latter more offensive or less of a joke? I struggle with the fact people like you actually exist. :)

Man of Honour
Threatening so shoot up a nursary is specific enough to raise eyebrows without the need to point out which.

. :)

No it is not specific at all. There's no content, no direct threat noting.

Tweeting an actual airport that you are disgruntled with, has a direct link and is massively different.

As is posting on an actual Facebook group about the subject.
Face booking it n her own feed is one thing, face booking on the specific group is very different.

Hhow can you not see te difference that targeting has. It's also what are law is based partly based around.

And LoL again, just making up crap. Where have I said what I think? It is a very different circumstance, but am glad it was quashed. But it is not the same at all.

aln

aln

Associate
No it is not specific at all. There's no content, no direct threat noting.

Tweeting an actual airport that you are disgruntled with, has a direct link and is massively different.

As is posting on an actual Facebook group about the subject.
Face booking it n her own feed is one thing, face booking on the specific group is very different.

Hhow can you not see te difference that targeting has. It's also what are law is based partly based around.

I see the difference I'm just not anal retentive enough to think it actually matters. Either it's a joke or it isn't. This is like me arguing that a galaxy bar and a dairly milk are both chocolate and you retorting with oh but I can't believe you can't see how they're different. :confused:

And LoL again, just making up crap. Where have I said what I think? It is a very different circumstance, but am glad it was quashed. But it is not the same at all.

You see that question mark? Yeah, that's me asking you what you think.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I see the difference I'm just not anal retentive enough to think it actually matters. Either it's a joke or it isn't.

Of course a target action matters. It has to be looked into, a non targeted action shouldn't even need to be looked into.

Again it's generally how the law is subscribed. A target threat etc can be a crime, a non targeted one is freedom of speech.

Man of Honour
:rolleyes:
What are you 5?

And yes if I thought you were sincere, that would be a crime, regardless of what you actually meant.

Target is part of it, it's not the entire law.

So yes it is very important and makes a huge difference. How can you not understand that something targeted is extremely different to something that isn't.

Last edited:

aln

aln

Associate
What are you 5?

And yes if I thought you were sincere, that would be a crime, regardless of what you actually meant.

I guarantee you at least one person will laugh at that. Alas I'm not going to continue a 1on1 conversation with you, so toodles, but just in case you're confused it was obviously a joke and thus proving it's the context that matters not (only) the target.

Man of Honour
I guarantee you at least one person will laugh at that. Alas I'm not going to continue a 1on1 conversation with you, so toodles, but just in case you're confused it was obviously a joke and thus proving it's the context that matters not the target.

Both matter.
Things aren't all based on just one thing.

Seeing as targeting is part of the context.

Last edited:
Associate
so when he gets out his face all over the internet with jokes about him&his mum........
think that is punishment enough.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
The Internet is not seperate from real life and Facebook is a (very) public space. It is pretty much akin to shouting threats loudly in public.

Caporegime
I do get the sense that law enforcement in the US is very much more by the book/less discretion involved and rather political. i.e. someone has reported an alleged 'threat' made which covers both 'terrorism' and 'school shooting' two sensitive subjects in the US and so presumably someone felt the need to be seen to be taking it seriously.... not much room for discretion on the part of the officers when it likely becomes abundantly obvious after simply talking to the kid that he was being sarcastic.... then again, if they are strict about these things then charging him isn't in itself entirely unreasonable. I would hope a decent lawyer will sort it out for him in court anyway. The thing I do feel is massively unreasonable is the 500k bail and keeping him on remand when the family obviously can't afford to post bail... hes 18 yrs old and made a comment on facebook - he's hardly going to skip the country...

Man of Honour
I would skip the country, especially as this isn't the first time.
The last kid has pledged guilt after council to get a reduced sentence.
Obviusly he's been advised he will be found guilty.

http://o.dailycaller.com/thedailyca...rcastic-video-game,51d2f4f8da27f5d9d0f082dc/2
Josh Pillault was arrested last October for threatening to kill people and destroy buildings. At the time of his arrest, he was 19-years-old, and an avid video game player.

The threats were made while he was playing “Runescape,” an online multiplayer fantasy game. Another player began antagonizing him, and eventually told him to kill himself.

Irritated, Pillault said he would kill not just himself, but also take out the local high school. He also mentioned Columbine — the name of an infamous school shooting — according to reports.

It was the response that the other player had been hoping for, according to Pillault’s mother.

“His gleeful last words to Josh were ‘Knock, knock!’ which is a reference to the feds he sent our way,” wrote Stacey Pillault in an email to TheDC News Foundation.

Federal authorities raided the Pillault home a few days later, arresting Josh. He has been in jail ever since.

His lawyer argued that the threat was “idle or careless talk, exaggeration or something said in a joking manner.”

Josh possessed none of the materials he would need to carry out such an attack, nor was there any good reason to believe he was serious, said his mother.

“His doctors have said he wouldn’t hurt himself or anyone else,” she wrote. “We actually have teachers who were willing to testify that they knew it wasn’t a true threat as soon as they found out it was Josh. Even his fellow inmates and guards have commented on how they can’t believe he is still in there.”

Josh turned 20 in December — behind bars. As of next week, his incarceration will have lasted 9 months.

“Instead of being home with his family, he spent his birthday and the holidays behind bars,” wrote his mother. “We all worry about him constantly. I barely sleep anymore because I am worried about him.”

Josh was adamant about maintaining his innocence, but the family eventually decided that the odds of a conviction were simply too high. On June 20, Josh plead guilty, hoping for a lighter sentence. He is now awaiting transfer to a federal prison, where medical experts will evaluate his mental condition. Sentencing should take place a few months from now. Josh could get 10 years in prison, and a fine of $250,000.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/02/s...-in-jail-for-video-game-threat/#ixzz2Y7VSV9xS

lets hope the petition, gets them to change their laws, or act more sensibly.

Last edited:

aln

aln

Associate
It is stupid, but he wasn't merely being sarcastic.

He might have been, it's incredibly difficult to infer tone from writing and generally requires a talented writer to do it well, which a 19 year old rarely is. I imagine it could have been him lashing out in a crude way to get the other kid to lay off him but even though it usually isn't occasionally some kid does sadly mean it.

The biggest problems with this case is he's being held without trial or resonable bail since march and while I wouldn't be suprised about police investigating something like this, most of us would only support them holding him if they thought he was serious, where in the US they're all too happy to bend someone over and **** them with the letter of the law.

Still, despite the medical advice maybe they do really believe he's unstable. Maybe he will be now. :p

Back
Top Bottom