Internet Dating.....Who Has Done it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
My experience with POF over a year -

Girl 1 - She made first contact by clicking yes to the 'Meet me' thing. I messaged her back with something a long the lines of 'hi got a message saying you want to meet me, well nice to meet you i'm X'. Messages carried on for about a month, at the time I was raiding in Rift (lol) like extremely hardcore and to be honest I sometimes left it like 2-3 days before messaging her back. This seemed to help me though and you need some solid willpower or a good distraction to do this. She made all the moves, she suggested we exchange numbers etc, she suggested we meet and I basically didn't give a **** ignored her days at a time and left all the work to her, whilst still being genuine with my responses to her, which were essay like near the end. The photos were pretty meh I thought to myself so I wasn't hugely bothered. Turns out when we met at the Zoo she was pretty stunning and I was quite surprised that she looked loads better than her pictures (as its usually the other way round no?). Anyway we dated about 5 times and had a mini relationship, with her staying over at my house at the peak of it - she had to go to uni miles away in a few months so we ended it pretty early. Good times though.

After this ended I went back on POF and basically thought it would now be pretty easy to find someone else - wrong. I think I got super lucky the first time. From then on I got chatting to quite a few lovely ladies, but things seemed to always fizzle out in the messaging stages, I basically didn't have the willpower to ignore these women for a few days and I think that was my downfall (what is the expression, treat them mean to keep them keen? Well I personally think this works, but its just worded wrong - Basically just don't be way too nice and clingy and try to give give the impression you do actually have better things to do with your life than respond to their messages within an hour each time). In my case this was raiding on Rift at the time, but she didn't have to know that :D

Anyway

Girl 2 - After refining my POF technique I got another girl interested in meeting me - Unfortunately she seemed a bit, er weird. She got offended a bit when I didn't ask her for her phone number after she told me she was deleting her profile. I was aware of what she wanted me to ask so instead i replied with 'yeah don't blame you there's a lot of weirdos on here!'. In the end she asked me straight. I didn't meet her in the end though as she seemed super clingy and yeah pretty weird.

Girl 3 - I met this one on another dating site, oasis dating. Not many women on their I don't think but I had some success. It was an older lady this time (im 28 she was 34) but she was attractive and seemed cool in the messages. She suggested I go round for dinner as she said she didn't mind cooking. By the time I arrived I think she had consumed atleast 1 bottle of wine herself and by the end of the food she was pretty much gone. Ended up putting her to bed and posting the key through the letterbox, as soon as she started balling her eyes out.

Anyway hope this was an entertaining read, seems like online dating is a mine field but there are most certainly some gems in there too.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyway hope this was an entertaining read, seems like online dating is a mine field but there are most certainly some gems in there too.

totally agree on the treat them mean keep them keen front! it does work, to an extent, the trouble is, im someone who likes my feelings towards someone to be known, but I seem to have learned that with the girl im going on a second date with, we speak every couple of days, we didn't speak last week as she was at Glastonbury, and I try to just keep it loose, but with a hint of "yeah im into you" haha

online dating is not easy at all! once you find a gem that is genuinely interested it becomes a lot easier, its the initial messaging and getting messages back that's the annoying part for me!

Soldato
ARGH Match is a pile of total garbage!

So I've seen two girls through Match and I haven't been that impressed with it overall. It's very basic in terms of features and as a web designer the site design makes me gnash my teeth. The Android app is also probably the worst app I have installed on my phone, so I decided after giving it 6 months I'd cancel. Set a reminder on my phone for 2 days before my subscription expired (today) cos I thought that'd be plenty of time.

Turns out they start the payment process 48 hours before the subscription actually runs out so it has already begun, I can't cancel and I can't even stop it from auto-renewing again. I can't even change my payment plan.

They are total money-grabbing ****** and frankly they are taking the biscuit compared to any of the other sites out there... I've had more luck on OKCupid in one month than Match in 6. Waste of cash.

EDIT: Are they serious... you can't even cancel online? You have to ring a number? http://advice.uk.match.com/dating-a...ne-dating-how-do-i-delete-my-matchcom-account Wow. That's a dark pattern if I ever saw one!

Last edited:
Soldato
ARGH Match is a pile of total garbage!

So I've seen two girls through Match and I haven't been that impressed with it overall. It's very basic in terms of features and as a web designer the site design makes me gnash my teeth. The Android app is also probably the worst app I have installed on my phone, so I decided after giving it 6 months I'd cancel. Set a reminder on my phone for 2 days before my subscription expired (today) cos I thought that'd be plenty of time.

Turns out they start the payment process 48 hours before the subscription actually runs out so it has already begun, I can't cancel and I can't even stop it from auto-renewing again. I can't even change my payment plan.

They are total money-grabbing ****** and frankly they are taking the biscuit compared to any of the other sites out there... I've had more luck on OKCupid in one month than Match in 6. Waste of cash.

EDIT: Are they serious... you can't even cancel online? You have to ring a number? http://advice.uk.match.com/dating-a...ne-dating-how-do-i-delete-my-matchcom-account Wow. That's a dark pattern if I ever saw one!

Sorry you had bad experiences there bud :(, but for me Match have been wildly successful. The trick is to cancel the moment you sign up. When asked why you're cancelling, just click the option that it's too expensive. You usually get given another month for free. Also wait until the 50% offer. It comes around every few weeks. I paid £15 and got another month free. Essentially £7.50 a month.

As for dates off Match, I must've had 30-40 through the years. Obviously not all of them good, but that's hardly Match's fault.

I was also on OkCupid. Nothing wrong with that site either and free. Hope you have more success there.

Soldato
Chatting to two girls fairly regularly, one I've got no interest in actually dating but she is nice to talk too and is happy with just chatting.... the other I'm not sure about, it's not just the smoking thing putting me off, she is trying to quit... but in a few of her pictures she looks stunning, in others she just isn't my type at all though she seems like good fun....

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=53963444

Ah well we shall see what happens there...... Gonna focus on getting into better shape myself

Well she has nice pics but the lack of punctuation would probably put me off :p

Just keep at it man. I've had some dry spells that made the Sahara look positively lush.

Associate
I met my current boyfriend on eharmony, after 3 months on it, and after being approached by hordes of idiots. I lost all hope after being treated like garbage by someone I went on a handful of date with (Thought he was better than me cos he had a Phd). He messaged me directly bypassing the "send a wink", ask a question BS, a few days before my subscription expired (which I had no intention of renewing) and I almost just ignored it. Until I showed a friend the message and his pictures and he encouraged me to go for it.

Don't regret it for a second, we've been together nearly a year now and I love him dearly. :)

Soldato
I met my current boyfriend on eharmony, after 3 months on it, and after being approached by hordes of idiots. I lost all hope after being treated like garbage by someone I went on a handful of date with (Thought he was better than me cos he had a Phd). He messaged me directly bypassing the "send a wink", ask a question BS, a few days before my subscription expired (which I had no intention of renewing) and I almost just ignored it. Until I showed a friend the message and his pictures and he encouraged me to go for it.

Don't regret it for a second, we've been together nearly a year now and I love him dearly. :)

***groan*** oh I loathe people like that, fortunately they tend to end up miserable and alone

Associate
I need advice with my POF profile, gets plenty of views but no emails/messages. What am I doing wrong?

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=47229299

Advice from a girl - just keep the Top Gun picture, and the 'deep in thought' one. Also, change your marital status to just 'single'. Girls will see 'separated' as a warning light. If you put single, you can tell them you're separated once you've reeled them in, and if they really like you the separated thing won't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom