What's in a name? (Hopkins vs Willoughby)

Soldato
So former Apprentice contestant, Katie Hopkins, has caused a bit of stir after going on This Morning and winding up Holly Willoughby by acting like a 19th Century Aristocrat.

The debate was on whether you could judge a person by a name, and troll Hopkins preceded to say some outrageous things about hypothetical Tylers and Kylies.....

I was fuming after watching it, questioning like most if she was being serious or just controversial with a long term view of making money from being a 'shocking' rent-a-gob.....

....but then I remembered a conversation last week I had with a friend where we were saying how it was weird how most Claires we knew were fat. :D

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
I'm kind of seeing her point but only through the thick, thick fogs of snobbery...

Indeed. I want to agree with her but in reality I just can't.

She clearly doesn't have first-hand experience of being on close terms with people of other cultures. If she did she'd realise that naming is superfluous to how clever a child is or whether he's "in with the wrong set".

But she likes her sheltered bubble and doesn't want to move from it. More than anything I think she's just scared.

Soldato
I was just about to post this.

Regardless of the fact that yes, generally chavvy teen mothers name their kids Bluebell Madonna Brooklyn who the hell is she to comment on a parents social status or the way they bring their kids up??

Wasn't she photographed having sex with a married man in the bushes? How's that for an amazingly sophisticated role model to a child?

She disgusts me.

Capodecina
Soldato
Worst names I ever heard for children were:

Justin Bieber Jones
Le-a [pronounced Ledasha]

They could well grow up to be lawyers, ahem. But their parents.... hmm. Do intelligent parents call their kids things like that? I imagine not.

Soldato
"I don't like geographical names"

"....Your child's called India"

"But that's not related to a location"

And that's the point I stopped watching.

Caporegime
The debate was on whether you could judge a person by a name, and troll

you can probably make a few guesses with some names

is Tyrone likely to be white or black

are Rupert's parents more likely to live on a council estate or an actual estate

plenty of other names are common across various ethnic or economic groups

Soldato
OP
is Tyrone likely to be white or black

jt49lk.jpg

Although as the joke goes, Churchil is famous for two things, winning WW2 and being the last white man named Winston :D

Caporegime
LOL

should also add to my post that just because you can infer some things about people by their names doesn't mean that those are qualities you can use to make any pre conceived judgement on them. That woman is either a massive retard or simply playing up to get publicity as the OP is indicating.

Tis actually an area for concern - some 'black' names (in particular African American names) have been shown to be discriminated against in job applications.

Back
Top Bottom