Copyright infringement...

aln

aln

Associate
It's illegal so the guy is totally stupid and the police would be interested but I wouldn't report him. Almost everyone has downloaded media or recorded from the radio at sone part of your life, so you're a hypocrite if you have and you report him.

However it is actually immoral if you ask me. I don't think it's entirely black and white for the following reasons:-

> The publishers are arugably immoral and it's largely them you'll be "stealing" from.
> You've arguably already paid for it when you paid the private copying levy, which again seems to be a pretty immoral tax.
> Copying media isn't nearly as bad as theft as you do not remove anyone elses property.

Given that and the fact most people do it, only the folks who activly seek to profit from doing it are getting into any real trouble. Sadly your friend is straddiling that line and is on very shakey ground.

Soldato
Almost everyone has downloaded media or recorded from the radio at some part of your life, so you're a hypocrite if you have and you report him.

Are you actually comparing taping a few songs off of the radio to SELLING copied media in bulk?

I think there is a rather obvious difference between downloading digital media for personal use and selling it for personal gain. At that point you are just profiting off of the developers hard work and time, the publishers no longer fit in to the equation.

Given that and the fact most people do it, only the folks who activly seek to profit from doing it are getting into any real trouble. Sadly your friend is straddiling that line and is on very shakey ground.

He isn't straddling any lines, he's crossed all of them, nothing he is doing is legal. You can dress up or try and justify copyright infringement however you like, it is still illegal, selling it on is just making it worse.

Download a few movies or games here and there fair enough, as has been said it really isn't compatible to theft, however selling it? No, that is the step too far.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sadly your friend is straddiling that line and is on very shakey ground.

It's not my friend that is doing but someone called, and I **** you not "Shifty Liverpool", they have simply tagged my friends "buy/sell" page in 124 different photos of goods for sale and this was one of them.

I do however suspect that a lot of the goods are knock off or stolen just from the wide range of things on offer (make up, clothes, rolex's for £40) :)

Soldato
If the only reason one is creative is because of financial reward and not simply the love of doing it, then something is seriously wrong.

I'd wager the vast majority of art and music was made out of love not money.

Being paid for doing something you love is great, but you are demonstrably wrong if you think it;s the primary motivational factor.

And? So be a hippy and live in a tent while you direct multi million pound films, program blockbuster games or record the next number 1 album, that's fine. The hundreds of people working to bring these things to the masses will work for free too! I see no problem :rolleyes:

Specifically I was pointing out that SOME posters here always babble on in threads like this as if pirates were some kind of freedom fighters opposed to "the Man", and antipiracy measures were some kind of NWO conspiracy. Honestly really gets my goat. If you don't want to pay for whatever media, don't consume it. Anything else is just greed

/incoherantrant

Back
Top Bottom