FAO Fox: Buying a E39 530i Sport

Soldato
f1a2.jpg

New shoes.

Soldato
Hey folks,

Well my e39 has been sitting on the side of the road out of commission for 5 weeks now, mainly due to the 3 weeks of torrential rain that we've had in Sydney and partially due to my misdiagnosis of the problem originally.

It all started with the car losing power and then misfiring leading to me stopping the engine about 7km after starting it up. It then took two hours to restart and drove home as if there were no problems. Even though I wasn't getting any fault code up, everything I read and thought indicated that the Crankshaft sensor was at fault (even though no fault codes were being thrown) so I ordered a genuine crank sensor & throttle body (I've had a TPS fault code since I bought the car) - no luck. I also changed the fuel filter while I was at it.

After all of that, the car started and ran and then broke down around the corner. This all happened before the torrential downpour so I hadn't touched the car until yesterday - I've now discovered that the car is getting no power to the fuel pump (0v read at connector), but the fuses are fine and there is power to the fuse box. This indicates to me that either the either the relay is buggered or it isn't getting a signal. From what I understand, the DME feeds it the signal but won't feed a signal if the crankshaft position sensor is duff (or the DME is duff :( ).

Anyone any experience of this/similar? I'll be removing the glovebox this evening to get to the relays and testing them and hoping that the relay is the problem...

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. I thought that when the EWS was faulty that power to the starter was cut - I have a spare key that can turn the ignition but has no EWS chip in it and the starter doesn't turn. I could be wrong of course.

Also, would it not be unusual that the car was able to run fine for a short period of time (and for a long drive the day before) and then die while driving?

Soldato
I've just had the most depressing evening working on the car - I cannot find the fuel pump relay anywhere. As mine is one of the first facelift cars, I can only assume that it's ended up in some weird crossover period but everything indicated that it should be behind the glovebox but all I can find is the horn relay. Seriously confused.

Soldato
I'm not looking forward to when my E39 starts throwing up baffling & expensive faults. Fortunately these first 9 months of ownership have been relatively worry free.

Soldato
Nah it's not in the boot, that was the first place I checked. I reckon it's in the e-box or around the steering column, if it's not there I'm going to hard wire the fuel pump to run with the ignition as it's ******* me off now.

Associate
Will hopefully be picking up a new car this week, so thought I'd get some peoples help on what I might need to do in the near future to it.

The car is this one . Went and viewed it last week and it was in excellent condition. The chap had 3 e39s, and seemed to put effort into keeping all of them running well which was encouraging.

It's had new front and rear bushes in the last year, and needs 2 new tyres and discs and pads all round. For tyres the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics, Dunlop Sportmaxx and Continental Sport Contact 5s all are about the same price. Are there any favourites out of these? Regarding the brakes I was going to go with Pagid discs and pads from ECP, since they've worked well for me in the past, unless there are any better alternatives?

In terms of issues to look out for, cooling system is the one I have read most about. At this mileage, I'm not sure whether it would be at risk yet? From what I gather, the later models had a metal impeller water pump, so that's one less part likely to fail.

Cheers for the help and any pointers as to what else to check.

Man of Honour
The mileage is irrelevent, its a 10 year old car, so the risk is there. Though personally I wouldn't go swapping out parts for the sake of it.

Associate
Hi guys ive just stumbled across this forum. Ive recently picked up a BMW 530i Sport Manual. Shes a beauty and goes like stink. Ive also ordered a BM technic cable and all the BMW specific software to fault find and keep the car running nicely.

Paid £2000
130000miles

Got a few questions for any 530i gurus...

The internal the footwell fans work but all other internal fans dont?
The mains fan in the engine bay works fine.
Only one speaker drivers side door currently works?

2ypc595.jpg

I will put more pics up. whats the best website to use for uploading pics as imageshack and tinypic are lame.:)

Soldato
Hi guys ive just stumbled across this forum. Ive recently picked up a BMW 530i Sport Manual. Shes a beauty and goes like stink. Ive also ordered a BM technic cable and all the BMW specific software to fault find and keep the car running nicely.

Paid £2000
130000miles

Got a few questions for any 530i gurus...

The internal the footwell fans work but all other internal fans dont?
The mains fan in the engine bay works fine.
Only one speaker drivers side door currently works?

I will put more pics up. whats the best website to use for uploading pics as imageshack and tinypic are lame.:)

Photobucket is pretty good.

Congrats on finding a well-priced manual too. :)

Theres a healthy E39 following on BMW5 forum if you didn't already know.

Soldato
Nah it's not in the boot, that was the first place I checked. I reckon it's in the e-box or around the steering column, if it's not there I'm going to hard wire the fuel pump to run with the ignition as it's ******* me off now.

Found it hiding up behind the EWS unit on the drivers side if anyone's interested. Was able to test the pump and find that the pump isn't building the pressure required so looking forward to having this problem repaired and finally driving the car again.

Soldato
My car seems to of developed a rattle/knock from the front somewhere. It sounds like something loose, such as a screenwash bottle banging around as opposed to a metal clunk, but I think this is unlikely.

I've noted the rattle most when turning right and braking, such as when going around a mini roundabout. Does this point suspicions toward and suspension components? Lower ball joints? I've not noted any correlation between rattle and bumps in the road.

Glad you got to the bottom of your issue Confused.

Back
Top Bottom