Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
For spurs the best feature Villa would have brought is his ability to attract other top players. He would have been a nice stop gap solution but nothing to build a team around. At 31 his ability to cope with the pace of the PL should also be questioned. He certainly would be an excellent solution but not a long term one.

Unfortunately spurs are now where they always are, trying to find a quality centre forward. Damiano is off to Napoli by all accounts. I suppose this leaves us with Benteke and Remy.

For the price, Benteke screams Darren Bent mkII to me. No thanks. Remy is dodging jail too.

I don't know who we could go for but this is where Baldini needs to earn his keep. I fully expect us to start with Defoe next season or a hideously overpriced PL striker that we have ponied up the cash for.

Associate
Seems very unlikely to me, I'm sure Laudrup came out with some comment last season about how we was worth £30m now but even if we look at it realistically, given the fact that he is proven in the Prem I think he would command a £15m+ fee.

Villa for sub £5m seems a good deal to me, big sell-on clause but then at his age his value is going to be pretty small in a couple of years anyway.

The biggest problem is replacing him, £15m wont get much of a replacement. I think he is worth more to Swansea than other teams would be willing to pay. Plus hopefully next season he can go back to his preferred role behind the striker.

Soldato
villa would've given us what klinsmann did in the mid 90's. not only did klinsmann save our skin second time around, he was great presence for the youngsters and more seniors too.

we should go all out for soldado imo. not long ago i wanted benteke but i don't think he'll suit our system. we don't need someone to hold the ball up or bully a defence, we just need a finisher.

Soldato
villa would've given us what klinsmann did in the mid 90's. not only did klinsmann save our skin second time around, he was great presence for the youngsters and more seniors too.

we should go all out for soldado imo. not long ago i wanted benteke but i don't think he'll suit our system. we don't need someone to hold the ball up or bully a defence, we just need a finisher.

Soldado is a good shout but why is no one else in for him?

Spurs need to get back to uncovering gems; we lost that with commoli. Cast of strikers just wont do.

Gomez reminds me of Andy Cole; he needs 100 chances to get his goal. I am not a big fan.

I am offering a lot of criticism and no solutions but as usual none of the picks are no brainers and all are flawed!

Soldato
Unfortunately spurs are now where they always are, trying to find a quality centre forward. Damiano is off to Napoli by all accounts. I suppose this leaves us with Benteke and Remy.

All of the Brazilian football fans that I know have started taking a dislike to Damiano. They really don't think he's all that good and has never delivered on his early promise. They want him to succeed so badly as Brazil don't have a decent number 9 at the moment.

Benteke is going to be overpriced. From what I've seen, he blows hot and cold. He was also offside more than anyone else in the PL last season (more than Defoe and Ade combined! :eek:). If he keeps improving then he's going to be a fantastic player. That's a big if though.

Soldato
Apparently Real have given us permission to talk to Pepe. Fee of £15m.
Questionable discipline at times but a good defender.

Would spell the end of Lescott who I think we could get 6-7m for. So someone of the quality and experience of Pepe for 9m would be a good bit of business.

Caporegime
Gomez reminds me of Andy Cole; he needs 100 chances to get his goal. I am not a big fan.

Utter fallacy. Andy Cole was a beast, Hoddle was made to look like an idiot with stupid comments like that, you shouldn't follow suit.

As for Gomez, doesn't he have the third highest return for minutes to goals in Europe after Messi and Ronaldo (and one above Hernandez)?
Certainly doesn't sound like someone who needs 100 chances. Scored almost 20 goals for Bayern last season despite being behind Mandzukic in the pecking order.

Soldato

Would spell the end of Lescott who I think we could get 6-7m for. So someone of the quality and experience of Pepe for 9m would be a good bit of business.

Questionable discipline? Oh Biz why do you do these things to yourself :o

Soldato

really don't rate Pepe as a player, let alone his laughable play acting and just generally being a pathetic thug. Considering how good Nastasic was last year and Lescott the year before and the fact that Kompany is probably the best CB in the league I have no idea at all why you'd want Pepe.

Man of Honour
Gomez is a decent penalty box striker from what I've seen, he can take chances but relies on the creativity of others. He has good positional sense, makes good runs etc - he's the sort of player that's easy to bash "scored two goals but did **** all else" but these players don't grow on trees, if it was that easy every club would have one.

These type of players also get a real kicking when they have an off day because literally all you see them do is miss chances. Jelavic is probably a good example, when he's off-form i.e. not scoring he looks pretty pony.

Soldato
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has dismissed speculation Gonzalo Higuain is about to join Arsenal by revealing the Premier League club are yet to make an offer.

Higuain, who told the media on the final day of the Primera Division season that he was going to leave Madrid in the summer, was reported to be on the verge of a £23millon move to Emirates Stadium.

However, during an interview with Univision, Perez said: "We don't want Higuain to leave.

"What's more no-one from Arsenal has come to us and made us any offers at all for him. There are no offers on the table."

Madrid have made two signings so far this summer, bringing defender Dani Carvajal and midfielder Isco to the Bernabeu from Bayer Leverkusen and Malaga respectively, but Perez remained tight-lipped on future transfers.

However, it has been reported Madrid will sign Spain Under-21 midfielder Asier Illaramendi from Real Sociedad in the coming days.

And although Perez did not confirm a move for the 23-year-old, he indicated Madrid were looking to sign a long-term replacement for Xabi Alonso, who will turn 32 in November and who suffered from a groin injury towards the end of the season which forced him to undergo surgery in June.

He admitted: "We are concerned about the state of Xabi Alonso. Defensive midfield is a very important position and we should be looking to strengthen there."

Uncertainty remains at Madrid over the long-term future of Cristiano Ronaldo, but Perez said he was calm about the situation.

He added: "Ronaldo wants to retire at Real Madrid, and we want him to retire here, just like Zidane and so many other great players did. You can be absolutely certain that Cristiano will retire at Real Madrid."

Don
Most of tonights papers are reporting that Suarez's agent met with Ian Ayre and Rodgers today with the club reiterating their desire to keep Suarez. Something that will cheer Pigeon up has been included in a few of the reports too - West Ham have held talks with us to sign Downing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/08/luis-suarez-liverpool-arsenal?INTCMP=SRCH

In other news, loads of journos on twitter are reporting that Villa have confirmed that Benteke's handed in a transfer request and that they'll consider offers that match their valuation. This has coincided with an article in the Telegraph claiming that Chelsea are interested in him which is very plausible - he's very much a Mourinho player.

Soldato
really don't rate Pepe as a player, let alone his laughable play acting and just generally being a pathetic thug. Considering how good Nastasic was last year and Lescott the year before and the fact that Kompany is probably the best CB in the league I have no idea at all why you'd want Pepe.
Well he was there under Pellegrini so he will know exactly how good he is and I certainly think he is a good defender.

As I said, Lescott I can see leaving, partly because he isn't a good footballer (A good defender though) and I can't see him getting a lot of game time which would mean he wont be in the WC squad which I can imagine means a lot to him.

Lescott leaving means that leaves us with two recognized CB. Signing Pepe would mean Nastasic can still grow and develop whilst giving us depth and experience at the back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom