Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I thought reflectors were needed by law to cycle once it starts to get dark?
or is it just that shops have to sell them with reflectors on?

I guess it makes no sense to require them by law if the guy has lights and a high vis jacket anyway...

I think it's legal to have them by law and shops have to sell them. However, and it might just be an old wives tale, shops don't sell them with pedals because then it's not a complete bike and so doesn't need reflectors (not jut pedal ones, but front and rear ones too).

Most lights aren't legalin the UK either as LED lights don't meet regs (unless that has changed recently).

Soldato
I thought reflectors were needed by law to cycle once it starts to get dark?
or is it just that shops have to sell them with reflectors on?

Good idea to rush home then, it'll be dark soon :p

You dont actually need that front reflector anyway. The law says you must have a rear red reflector on your bike and orange+white reflectors on the front and rear of your pedals.
Reflectors are a bit pointless anyway: if it's dark, you should have lights.

Caporegime
[Damien];24583582 said:
Anything less than 27 round our way on those hills and I reckon you're pushing it. I'll probably stick with my 11-28 for the forseeable because it seems to handle anything thrown at it.

I reckon you could cope with a 25, but you'd need to be stronger than me. I've done Belmont from the far side in my 25 without going to my 28, but not tried going up Sheephouse Lane route in the 25. Moor Road would also be a killer.

I re-indexed my gears on Saturday, ahead of my century ride on Sunday. Clearly I did something wrong as I found myself going up Frodsham Hill without being able to change down to my 28. I got down the other side and stopped to wait for my brother-in-law and I had another go at the gears by the side of the road. I managed to get them working, which was a good job, as I'm not sure I'd have managed this one with just the 25.

Soldato
I'm really starting to get sick of some of the roadies on the Bristol to Bath cycle path. I have run-ins with those who

1) Overtake into incoming traffic
2) Cycle at excessive speeds
3) Push past at gates without letting others though
4) Cycle aggressively at the school crossings
5) Ride abreast forcing oncoming traffic to cycle on the edge of the path or stop

Some of it is down to the usual reason - to conserve speed. Seriously, if they want to cycle like that they should bugger off and stick to the roads. That way sensible cyclists and other users might be able to enjoy the path for once.

Soldato
I'm really starting to get sick of some of the roadies on the Bristol to Bath cycle path. I have run-ins with those who

5) Ride abreast forcing oncoming traffic to cycle on the edge of the path or stop

Some of it is down to the usual reason - to conserve speed. Seriously, if they want to cycle like that they should bugger off and stick to the roads. That way sensible cyclists and other users might be able to enjoy the path for once.

or you could just man up and pedal harder mwhahah.. can't stand people that pedal at 10mph and slow EVERYONE down yet jump in front of the faster cyclists as soon as they get to red lights!?

Soldato
I used to ride on roads but never anymore becuase people have gone so stupid and wreckless with their driving its not safe at all, infact I would think someone on a road everyday have are at serious risk. I would say an essential would be a life insurance plan and will in your pocket.

Soldato
or you could just man up and pedal harder mwhahah.. can't stand people that pedal at 10mph and slow EVERYONE down yet jump in front of the faster cyclists as soon as they get to red lights!?

I'm not exactly going slow but it's a little harder on a Brompton. I agree with your point on traffic lights as well - I'm glad I don't have to put up with that sort of behaviour any more.

Soldato
I used to ride on roads but never anymore becuase people have gone so stupid and wreckless with their driving its not safe at all, infact I would think someone on a road everyday have are at serious risk. I would say an essential would be a life insurance plan and will in your pocket.

life insurance is something id love to take out.. i do get close calls everyday.. not sure how i stay calm on my bike :o

I'm not exactly going slow but it's a little harder on a Brompton. I agree with your point on traffic lights as well - I'm glad I don't have to put up with that sort of behaviour any more.

oh brompton.. i bet you get special treatment from others just for riding that - i've got nothing against bromptons but i've seen cyclists get really aggressive when over taking/riding close to one ?!

Soldato

The B-B Path is ridiculous. A few weeks ago on a busy Sunday afternoon a couple of guys went zooming past using Tri Bars? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom