Pacific Rim - Epic new Scfi Movie

Soldato
I thought it was ok, I just couldn't get on with the sound direction. They painted the wrong mood throughout the whole movie, and a lot of the scenes between the big robot monster battles felt tedious.

That being said, I still had a fairly good time watching it, just not as much as I had hoped.

Caporegime
I thought it was ok, I just couldn't get on with the sound direction. They painted the wrong mood throughout the whole movie, and a lot of the scenes between the big robot monster battles felt tedious.

That being said, I still had a fairly good time watching it, just not as much as I had hoped.

You must have high expectations. I haven't seen it yet but my expectation of it is rubbish, cheesy, no plot, all action, not fun, plot holes galore and worse than Battleship overall.

From the general consensus here that it is quite good !

Soldato
I watched it yesterday on the first screening of the day.

As a massive Gundam fan (Zeta and Unicorn being my fav's) I was fearing it was going to be a let down.... BUT NO, it was everything I wanted it to be and more in a mecha movie. I liked the Jaeger designs and they moved in such a way that was believable and still had artistic licence

There was a couple of areas that could have had some work, I would have removed the scientist dudes, While I’m a Ron Perlman fan I did not like his character as well.

*********** small spoiler***********

The pregnant Kaiju bit seemed pretty random as well for cloned monsters

*********** small spoiler***********

While I saw it in my local cinema in oxford I do plan for sure to head into london and see it at a IMAX screen.

In short I had a massive grin acorss my face for most of the movie

Soldato
You must have high expectations. I haven't seen it yet but my expectation of it is rubbish, cheesy, no plot, all action, not fun, plot holes galore and worse than Battleship overall.

Battleship was rubbish this is a proper blockbuster scale film. It's everything a blockbuster should be for a robot v monster action film and more. Go and see it, the bigger the screen the better as the scale of the robots and monsters is immense.

Associate
Question is this worth watching?

I have seen the many trailers on IMDB and it looks like Transformers set at sea mixed with the monster from Cloverfield.

So, two hours of bombastic over the top CGI fights?

Soldato

As I said before - comparing this to Battleship is like comparing Dan Brown to Raymond Chandler. Del Toro is an auteur not a journeyman.

Soldato
I thought the 3D worked quite well actually. There were no "over the top" 3D effects or anything (i.e. things jumping conspicuously into the screen), but it did help emphasise the scale of everything. Worked better during the CGI battle sequences than in the filmed portions (unsurprisingly).

Not a huge fan of 3D, but I saw it in IMAX, and 3D came part and parcel with that.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

A decent film, a few plot points are bugging me though..

1. Why not use the sword weapon sooner? It took 3/4s of the film for them to use it!
  2. Pregnant kaju was stupid. Also it looked completely and utterly "melted" after it supposedly died, so when it came back to life it was a bit silly
  3. Japanese jaeger got killed too quickly really considering it was the only 3-armed robot and they'd made a big deal developing the backstory of the pilots
  4. All the water in the world was only ever robot waist-height
  5. Building a wall around the city lol

Other than that, it was good. I'd give it 7/10 :)

Nice behind the scenes video here..

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Just came home from seeing it on IMAX. 6.5/10 I'll give it. Loved the first hour of it then got a bit bored. Incredible sense of scale, awesome, really loud audio, and the amazing sound effects added real weight to the sheer size of robots and creatures fighting and falling. When you first see them it's jaw dropping, particularly on the huge IMAX screen. My biggest complaint is that
there are no daytime fights, so it's hard to figure out what's going on sometimes. And I wasn't keen on sea monsters being lit up in blue leds like a nightclub, it kind of takes away from the 'monsterness' of it, though I do realise they're artificial weapons sent to earth.

This part of a review sums it up for me.

There are boxing bouts aplenty as the bots and monsters go at it in cities and in the ocean. Problem is, these battles are set at night and are so badly staged and poorly edited it's hard to make out what is going on - an issue compounded by the loss of luminosity you get when seeing the film in 3D.

As with Man of Steel, there does now seem to be a default setting when mounting huge digitally rendered action sequences; everything looks like it's been shot inside a giant washing machine, with the camera swirling about as things explode and disintegrate.

Permabanned
It was alright. There was no plot or characterisation at all, and it was simply a selection of disconnected robot v monster wrestling matches. My 14 year old boy liked though, which I think is who it is aimed at...I am singularly disappointed in Guillermo del Toro, who is normally good for a quirky and engaging storyline.

Back
Top Bottom