FAO Fox: Buying a E39 530i Sport

Soldato
Sweet looking M5 - really rare colour.

Made some more progress on my interior change/resto - started the caramel dying.

Decided to practice on the arm rest first. Dye goes on really thinned down at first...
0Wp0cJ2.jpg

Another layer...
UKY7kkb.jpg

One or two more, colour starting to take...
vjQl308.jpg

Many coats later - looking glossy as this type of dye needs a matt sealer over the top...
Zemtj3D.jpg

Finished result with the matt sealer on...
ffCilTQ.jpg

Looking ok - onto the centre console...

Original black cleaned up...
KoCIq3R.jpg

Some limbo colour half way between...
hYlNIQ1.jpg

Completed with the matt sealer...
jIeerL4.jpg

Quite enjoying it - very satisfying results. Now have to tackle the seats then I'm done, apart from the old beige belts that will be letting the side down - will have to get black ones.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Quite enjoying it - very satisfying results. Now have to tackle the seats then I'm done, apart from the old beige belts that will be letting the side down - will have to get black ones.

That is amazing :) Well done. If you would be so kind could you detail the products to us etc?

Soldato
Very impressive. I'm still not confident mine is running at full power. I'm now thinking a sensor or MAF.

Does INPA throw anything up? A lot of people suggest MAF clean, then crank & cam sensors if it's feeling a bit sluggish. You've already done VANOS, haven't you? No misfiring, hesitation or anything at the top end?

Associate
My uncle wants to sell his e39.
Just wondering what it's worth?
2003 530d sport
Black with black.
Fair bit of spec but no Nav.
Full bmw service history
Every mot from new in file etc
1 owner from new

Prices all over the place so no idea how to price It or where best to sell it

Man of Honour
Although personally I simply wouldnt advise an E39 530d anymore the market thinks differently and a 2003 sensible miles 530d Sport Auto is pretty much the most desireable E39 on the used market this side of an M5. Depending on its condition you might even get more than £5k for it.

Soldato
Does INPA throw anything up? A lot of people suggest MAF clean, then crank & cam sensors if it's feeling a bit sluggish. You've already done VANOS, haven't you? No misfiring, hesitation or anything at the top end?
Yep, have done the VANOS. There seems to be a flat spot around 5k rpm. Under 3k rpm it just doesn't seem to have much "go". I'm going to hook the laptop up today but last time no errors.

What about coils and plugs? Idle is a little rough but I know most are.

Associate
Anyone found a way to change settings such as selective unlock and auto lock when driving over 5mph? From what I've read some software can be used, or it can be done at a dealer, but I can't really find any definitive information or costs.

Associate
[TW]Fox;24606294 said:
Although personally I simply wouldnt advise an E39 530d anymore the market thinks differently and a 2003 sensible miles 530d Sport Auto is pretty much the most desireable E39 on the used market this side of an M5. Depending on its condition you might even get more than £5k for it.

It's in nice condition the guy is a stickler for maintenance etc being a nuclear engineer!

Is it a car for pistonheads? Or should I be looking down the forum route?
Is 114k considered sensible miles for an e39?

Soldato
Yep, have done the VANOS. There seems to be a flat spot around 5k rpm. Under 3k rpm it just doesn't seem to have much "go". I'm going to hook the laptop up today but last time no errors.

What about coils and plugs? Idle is a little rough but I know most are.

DISA Valve.

Man of Honour
Is it a car for pistonheads? Or should I be looking down the forum route?

PH and Autotrader. To be honest I don't see the value in cars on forums/owners clubs. Seen hardly any sell that way - all you get is a load of replies from people who already own the same car saying 'nice car' and replies from those who don't talking the price down.

Had my 335i on one - 'nice car' and 'its not really worth that in the current climate mate... etc' replies.

It went to a buyer from Autotrader for pretty much asking price.

Is 114k considered sensible miles for an e39?

It is now they are 10+ years old.

Man of Honour
I think it will need to be sub 100k for some of the proper bonkers money the 'right' E39 goes for, but I'd be suprised if you didnt get high 4's?

Back
Top Bottom