Which SSD do you have in your Mac?

Soldato
Got an M4 here as well in my 2011 MBP. Backed up onto an external, swapped the drives over, shifted everything back across from the external. Really easy and the speed boost still amazes me six months on.

Associate
I've used a thermaltake USB3 enclosure on my SSD and it still gets full speeds just cheaper than the thunderbolt one.

2011 iMac, so no USB3 :(

I am interested in more info as this is the approach I am going to initially take.

Dead easy. TB cable, Thunderbolt sled, SSD. I believe anything above 256GB _may_ cause problems due to additional power requirements, resulting in the drive disconnecting and various other niggles.... MacRumors forums have a bit more detailed information.

Other than that, I just booted from an ML USB stick, fired up Disk Utility and blanked the mechanical drive then installed ML to the TB-connected SSD.

Once you're installed, use Trim Enabler to switch on TRIM if your SSD requires (and after every point release of the OS, as that detects a non-factory SSD and disables it).

Although it's possible to use CCC to restore a full backup to the SSD, I didn't bother and preferred clean installation.

You get a short delay on cold boot while it works out where the bootable OS drive is connected, but other than that it's pretty much full speed. Wake from sleep mode

I didn't bother relocating my root user data stores and simply shifted my iTunes library and iPhoto library to the mechanical when restoring those.

That's pretty much it really. It just works after the initial setup!

Caporegime
How easy would it be to replace the HDD in a new MacBook Pro Retina or a new iMac?

Very tempted to get an iMac after the summer and a new retina MacBook Pro for starting Uni, however how do the Apple faster drives compare to buying and installing a drive?

Soldato
250GB Samsung 840 (not the pro).

100% happy with it. Fast and hasn't given me any trouble at all. I just installed it, got Trim Enabler and I haven't done anything since. Splendid.

Associate
I have a Kingston V+200 120gb in my iMac, though I never enabled trim as I read conflicting info about the need to enable it with sandforce drives.

Dave

Associate
I've got a Crucial M500 240GB in my mid 2009 MBP. Best hardware upgrade I've ever done.

Did a clean install from a USB memory stick which was a piece of cake. Enabled trim with the enabler once installed. Very happy with the performance!

Associate
I've got an M4 about to go into my Mid-2010 MacBook, only a 60GB but it's basically going to be a development system so I'm not too fussed about space.

Soldato
I just put a spare Crucial M4 I had into an old MBP (gave the drive a secure erase and firmware update on PC). Clean install of Mountain Lion, and it's running fine.

Wat's the current verdict on enabling TRIM or just relying on built in Garbage Collection?

Back
Top Bottom