Pacific Rim - Epic new Scfi Movie

Caporegime
6 out of 10 for me Independence Day is a much better film
I'd rate godzilla (1998)
over this as well.
maybe even cloverfield
definitely the mist

I just didn't find this movie believable and tbh did it really take it self seriously?

I'm sure kids love it though and the younger adults.

Soldato
Saw this last night, really enjoyed it.

Only slightly ruined by some retards who bought their toddler to see it who had a tantrum every half an hour and had to be taken outside by one of them. I know it's a 12A but this kid was still in a pushchair for **** sake, why would you take a child that young to see a movie like that?

I just didn't find this movie believable and tbh did it really take it self seriously?

Come again? It's a fantasy movie about giant robots fighting giant aliens, why should it be believable?

I'm sure kids love it though and the younger adults.

Have your opinion by all means but don't be condescending with it, just paints you as childish. Comments like that are just necessary.

Last edited:
Don
I can't believe the good reviews this is getting, I found it incredibly boring, the acting was poor and I know these kind of films are predictable but could they make a more predictable story? It just reminded me of a straight to DVD movie.

The CGI was great mind but I didn't like any of the actors even Idris :(

Plus they had a goon from Eastenders playing an Australian, surely they could have just picked someone from Neighbours or Home and Away :p

Caporegime

You mean you didn't find a movie about giant monsters coming through a portal in the ocean and fighting giant robots controlled with people's minds believable?

It's almost like it wasn't meant to be believable.

Caporegime
You mean you didn't find a movie about giant monsters coming through a portal in the ocean and fighting giant robots controlled with people's minds believable?

It's almost like it wasn't meant to be believable.
you can control games with your mind ;) I can't remember what the thing is called though.
controlling robots isn't a great leap

the world just didn't seem believable and the acting was crap.

you can have a fantasy series and still have a believable experience that will make you forget your watching a movie at times because you are so immersed in the experience.

Associate
I don't agree. I think you should get angry when things don't make sense.
The things you describe are not good examples, as they are all possible. Metal can support things, and people can survive crashes in vehicles (a little bit of bending of those rules is ok, i.e surviving very large crashes, or supporting very large things)
The type of thing I am talking about is, say for example, The Expendables! Where a man is sliding down a wire with a AK47 in one hand and accurately killing men who are in cover, whilst all their bullets seemingly miss.

Your right it's nothing to do with how intelligent I am, but I just prefer not to be insulted by assuming I am thick to begin with and that I won't notice the stupidity of plot.
If someone has to turn off their brain then something is definitely wrong imo.

Fair enough, however surely that applies to nearly all kind of movies be it action, sci-fi, super heroes or even comedies where the amount of coincidences and feats performed by people would seem out of place with the real world.

At the end of the day I found Pacific Rim kept me fully engaged through the whole movie whereby everything which happened fit into the logic of the world which they built while the whole thing was fun. Compared to something like say Skyfall, where there were a few times I was taken out of the movie by actions performed which didn't really make sense to me, even though I enjoyed it.

Caporegime
They had dna? Unlikely :p

Tbh I expected it to be cheesy.. it was
I expected the acting to be poor - it was, especially the main actor
I expected cgi but didn't get enough

I wanted this to be a... Look what we can do with vfx, but I just wasn't in awe like when I sawavatar, ccan't put my finger on it, but want blown away

Soldato
Seen this tonight -6/10

Didn't care about the cast.
Didn't care about the predictable story line.
Pointless linkage of minds to fight in the robots IMO?

I gave it more points due to the sheer awsomeness of the fight scenes. Some of them just had me feeling like a little kid with excitement.

Wanted this to be great, just wasn't. I'd watch for the fights tho, transformers meets cloverfield!

Associate
I loved pretty much everything about this film, to me it is the absolute perfect cinema experience.

The only things that were to me a bit annoying......

Accents..... specifically the English actors doing American or aussie accents, they were all garbage, if you want American accents get an American, if you want aussie get an aussie.

Helicopters.....6 or 8 helicopters capable of carrying a 2000 ton robot??????
(I don't know why this annoyed me so much when I accept giant robots fighting monsters without question)

That's it really, it felt massive and epic and all the things that so many sci-fi films should be but aren't.

Soldato
Helicopters.....6 or 8 helicopters capable of carrying a 2000 ton robot??????
(I don't know why this annoyed me so much when I accept giant robots fighting monsters without question)

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-largest-transport-helicopters-in-the-world-24549.html

http://gizmodo.com/5960538/the-worlds-biggest-transport-chopper-can-hoist-a-737-with-ease

Mil-Mi26 (1970s) - 22,480 shp - 20T lifting * 8 = 160T
Mil-Mi12 (1968) - 22,000 shp - 44T lifting * 8 = 352T

Quite a way off 2000T, but these are choppers built 40+yrs ago. With Pacific Rim set in the 2020s it's not far fetched at all to imagine how far they could push choppers, especially if you consider huge giant 2000T robots to be possible ;)

Back
Top Bottom