Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Slightly different quotes from SSN that suggest it wasn't rejected.

Jose Mourinho says Chelsea will not make improved bid for Wayne Rooney #SSN

Mourinho: We want the player, we made a bid and now it's up to Manchester United #SSN

Associate
Ed Woodward seriously needs to get a grip of this situation and start doing his job, or have others do theirs. Leaks about bids (Thiago, Fabregas), ridiculous bids (Fabregas), stating no contract extensions (annoy Rooney...), Moyes statement (albeit twisted by the press) about Rooney/RVP and this rubbish about Mata...

I actually feel bad for Moyes so far, he's in a bad situation already with Rooney and is having his whole first pre-season disrupted by news and questions that should (and under SAF and Gill, did) remain private and internal.

All within 4 days as well

Last edited:
Associate
A few stories popping up now that Utd are trying to get Marquinhos from Roma.

An Italian radio station aired a conversation between Roma execs after one of them failed to hang up after speaking with the radio station about other business. In this conversation they were discussing that a €25M offer would be accepted.

Other stories have claimed that PSG would complete a deal for Marquinhos, but Barca are keen so possibly favourites to get him? It's an interesting one, good signing if they get him but presumably all Utd fans want to see is a good midfielder or two, and maybe a striker to replace pie boy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thirdly, people are talking about Man Utd needing to replace Rooney, not strictly true. We have 3 forwards in RVP, Hernandez and Welbeck, plus a natural, top class number 10 in Kagawa. Further to that Cleverley played there for the reserves and Watford and Anderson for both Santos and Porto. There are options, personally I'd rather us spend the money on midfielders.

I can honestly say that I have never really disagreed with one paragraph as much as I do with that one.

Soldato
Although it seems like more 'leaking' is happening, it isn't really that much. Social Media etc is far more rife now than it was before.

In previous seasons there was plenty of the chit chat around Kagawa, DDG, Young, Jones etc for ages.

Not to mention Ozil, Benzema & Sneijdergate :p

Soldato
if rvp gets injured i wouldn't be confident in those players getting us enough goals.Hernandez scored some important goals for us last season but i don't think he is anywhere near same quality as rooney and rvp.Wellbeck i see as more of a wide player,he puts in allot of work and good at holding up the ball but not the best infront of goal

Associate
Rooney will make their money back in no time
I'm quite sceptical of Rooney's value, because of FFP and the £250K/week he allegedly gets at Utd. Unless he is willing to accept a vast pay cut I don't how Rooney can be valued at over £20M.

He's shown that he is a malcontent no matter the situation he's in. He is a huge risk, you're right he may be good for a while elsewhere, but how quickly will he start feeling bad again and start agitating for a bigger contract or another move?

Soldato
i think if fergie was still in charge rooney would be already training with a new club , moyes saying he is not for sale i think is just the clubs words so it doesn't look like we have to sell so clubs think they can get him on the cheap. The last home game of the season when rooney was on the pitch with his kid it just reminded me so much of when beckham left and i think when fergie dropped him in so many big games last season , from then he prob knew his future is not at united

Last edited:
Soldato
Do any of the resident Man U fans here think any of this would have happened if Fergie was still in charge?

Perhaps the media wouldn't have made so much of a field day, but the principle of it, most likely.

I didn't see an outcome between the two of them where they both remained at the club, really.

fez

fez

Caporegime
if rvp gets injured i wouldn't be confident in those players getting us enough goals.Hernandez scored some important goals for us last season but i don't think he is anywhere near same quality as rooney and rvp.Wellbeck i see as more of a wide player,he puts in allot of work and good at holding up the ball but not the best infront of goal

This is my biggest gripe though. The reason we need such good strikers and why I would worry without Rooney next year is the midfield. If you have a top class midfield, they give you goals and they give your strikers tap ins. I watched a reel of Fabregas' assists for Arsenal and most of them gave a striker a simple enough finish. Certainly ones that Hernandez would love.

We have struggled on without a good midfield for years by compensating elsewhere but I think we have reached the point where the quality of our direct opposition makes that a poor choice of strategy. We have watched so many top class midfielders go to everyone but us that its getting silly. Fergie obviously didn't see it as that much of an issue but I would feel even more worried if Fergie was still in charge than I am now.

Soldato
This is my biggest gripe though. The reason we need such good strikers and why I would worry without Rooney next year is the midfield. If you have a top class midfield, they give you goals and they give your strikers tap ins. I watched a reel of Fabregas' assists for Arsenal and most of them gave a striker a simple enough finish. Certainly ones that Hernandez would love.

We have struggled on without a good midfield for years by compensating elsewhere but I think we have reached the point where the quality of our direct opposition makes that a poor choice of strategy. We have watched so many top class midfielders go to everyone but us that its getting silly. Fergie obviously didn't see it as that much of an issue but I would feel even more worried if Fergie was still in charge than I am now.

Just out of interest, do you remember (because I don't) when Utd last had a central midfielder who scored plenty of goals?

It was well before Keane's time (don't get me wrong, he scored some beauties and was a vital part of Utd's success, but he wasn't a ....cough....Lampard....cough....infront of goal by any means)

Midfield goals in general for Utd have come from the wide areas for the most part for the last 15 - 20 years

Im not knocking the CM positions being a weakness (and have been for a number of years), this is certainly the case, but I also wouldn't want to move away from the club's heritage with the wide players.

Assists from CM positions is another thing, and this is the biggest weakness currently. Hopefully Kagawa being more central link between midfield and attack will hopefully help, but definitely still a couple of missing CM pieces.

Caporegime
I can honestly say that I have never really disagreed with one paragraph as much as I do with that one.

You're disagreeing with the facts that Anderson played a number 10 role at his last two clubs and Cleverley did it for our reserves and Watford?
We already have a better finisher in Hernandez (better ratio last season and worked well with RVP) and a better player in RVP. Kagawa is also a natural number 10 when Rooney isn't.
These aren't opinions, these are facts, so you can't disagree with those.

So you are disagreeing with my opinion we don't really need to replace Rooney with a striker, that's fair enough, but I'm fairly sure you've disagreed with paragraphs more than that before.
Were you one of the ones who ignored how bad Rooney was in the last couple of seasons in terms of performances? Overlooking his poor passing? Forgetting how often he opted not to shoot and remained blissfully unaware he couldn't trap a bag of cement?

Or do you think the one top quality midfielder we have is enough and that we should be aiming to add to 3 very good forward players instead? :confused:

I have no doubt he'll be a better player when he's more motivated at another club, but the performances he put in for us will not be missed.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just out of interest, do you remember (because I don't) when Utd last had a central midfielder who scored plenty of goals?

It was well before Keane's time (don't get me wrong, he scored some beauties and was a vital part of Utd's success, but he wasn't a ....cough....Lampard....cough....infront of goal by any means)

Midfield goals in general for Utd have come from the wide areas for the most part for the last 15 - 20 years

Im not knocking the CM positions being a weakness (and have been for a number of years), this is certainly the case, but I also wouldn't want to move away from the club's heritage with the wide players.

Assists from CM positions is another thing, and this is the biggest weakness currently. Hopefully Kagawa being more central link between midfield and attack will hopefully help, but definitely still a couple of missing CM pieces.

We have never had a high scoring midfielder really but times are changing. You cannot expect to win competitions when your midfield can't hold onto the ball these days. The quality of passing and possession of the top sides means that you will just run yourself into the ground if you cannot compete in the middle of the pitch. We bought Kagawa which should have signalled a change of tactics but I haven't seen anything to suggest that so far.

I like wide players but that doesn't stop you from having a guy in the middle pulling the strings. Carrick is nothing like the player we need for this role. Someone like Mata would be perfect but when players like that are available you have to get them quickly because they are not 10 a penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom