Salting your steaks...

Associate
- Room Temperature,
- Brush with Olive oil, Salt and Pepper and leave it for 30-60mins
- Smoking hot pan for 1:45-2:00mins either side depending on thickness,
- Leave it to rest a few mins and enjoy.

Job Done.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tested both methods? I have and seasoning after cooking gives consistently worse results.

How about trying it for yourself, before listening to someone else's opinion? :p

Proof is in the results. Say what you like about what other people have said, but do one side by side and you'll taste the difference!

Ohhh really, I could do that, on my own??????

No, I just blindly believed the shop chef and his youtube vid...............

Man of Honour
Ohhh really, I could do that, on my own??????

No, I just blindly believed the shop chef and his youtube vid...............

Given your general tone in these last two posts it's quite hard to take anything you're saying seriously.

But hey, if you enjoy your badly seasoned steaks then that's fine.

Associate
I've (kind of) tried the Heston Blumenthal method of...

1) Salt on both sides.
2) Leave on a wire rack in the fridge for 2 days.
3) Take out of the fridge a good hour or 2 before cooking.
4) Cook in a hot pan for a few minutes on each side.

I'm really not a great cook, and here's where I think I went wrong with his method, at each step:

1) I think I used to little salt.
2) I unfortunately didn't actually have a wire rack at the time, and ended up just leaving it on a plate and flipping it at the 24 hour point. I think this allowed a lot of moisture to build up on the outside of the once slightly dried side when I flipped it.
3) I see some of you in the thread saying this isn't necessary.
4) I think I left it slightly too long on each side.

It ended up a little bland. I'll have to try again :D

Man of Honour
I've (kind of) tried the Heston Blumenthal method of...

1) Salt on both sides.
2) Leave on a wire rack in the fridge for 2 days.
3) Take out of the fridge a good hour or 2 before cooking.
4) Cook in a hot pan for a few minutes on each side.

I'm really not a great cook, and here's where I think I went wrong with his method, at each step:

1) I think I used to little salt.
2) I unfortunately didn't actually have a wire rack at the time, and ended up just leaving it on a plate and flipping it at the 24 hour point. I think this allowed a lot of moisture to build up on the outside of the once slightly dried side when I flipped it.
3) I see some of you in the thread saying this isn't necessary.
4) I think I left it slightly too long on each side.

It ended up a little bland. I'll have to try again :D

Your main issue is probably just the too little salt thing to be honest :) I have done this method without a wire rack and it worked okay but took a bit longer to fully dry out.

Soldato
Well I have a nice freshly cut rib-eye for my dinner tonight. Will salt it now (and try to remember to take pictures of the beading etc.

Going to cook it for about 8pm with some pan fried new potatoes (pre-poached in stock), some honey glazed carrots, a little sauteed spinach and a diane sauce.

Soldato
I (or should i say my gf) usually add a very small amount of salt to both sides before chucking it in the fridge, then when it comes to cooking add salt to the pan and dry fry it. I'm a bit of a philistine in that i prefer my steak reasonably cooked (minimal pinkness) so can understand this wont work for everyone but its personally the best way for my tastes :)

Soldato
So, I salted my steak for 3 hours.

Before -

k0JdWif.jpg

Fifteen minutes in (ook how much juice has been drawn out) -

IPrpsZV.jpg

Cooked -

Yt4yRcn.jpg

Closer -

207plOv.jpg

Well my first impressions are very good. The cut was good in the first place but I did not need to season the steak at all. You can definitely taste the salt inside it, though it just makes the meat taste better.

Going to try it next time. I could be a convert to long salting.

Associate
Yeah i gotta admit, i wasnt sure what it was gonna taste like, but friday night i had a steak and salted both sides about 30 mins before cooking and it was possibly the best steak ive ever had haha. so the next one will be getting done the night before.

Soldato
I normally oil/season an hour before cooking. I use garlic salt and ground black pepper. 1.15 seconds a side(about an inch thick rump steak) and rest for 5 mins for an awesomely cooked and seasoned steak.

Associate
Best steak I had was Dexter done by a local farmer (that unfortunately doesn't do it anymore, he used to sell us 1/4 cow to go in the freezer, was superb meat.

I always salt, sea salt if possible but haven' tried salting for long beforehand.

Soldato
So as an experiment, I did the salting thing on Saturday.

I bought a cheap cut of Rump from Tesco as it was on special at £9/kg which was a ridiculously cheap price. I got myself a really quite large steak, cut it it two and salted both. I used approx 2/3 of a teaspoon of Maldon Sea salt on both sides of the steak and left from approx 11am till cooking at around 8pm.

I cooked in my usual way: Slight rub of Rapeseed Oil on steaks, then smoking hot cast iron griddle just over a minute on each side turning twice to give cross-hatching effect.

The difference was unreal! Very tender, very well seasoned (perhaps too much for some) and noticably more jucy, tender and more flavoursome.

Back
Top Bottom