Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Didn't afaik, Moyes only say that the guy was flying back to work on a "big signing" he didn't say Fabregas specifically, with the media assuming it was Fabregas and then basically stating that as fact when it could in reality be anyone. It also doesn't preclude the possibility that they think they can sway Fabregas/Barca, but in actual fact can't. Flying back to sort out a big deal doesn't mean its certain to happen or even has a good chance, just that they think they can do it.

As for Fabregas on video, he has actually on video and been quoted all summer as saying he absolutely wants to stay and would only potentially leave if the club accepted a fee and told him they wanted rid of him, which has almost no chance of happening. His manager has gone on record about Fabregas saying the same to him, absolutely no way he wants to leave, simple as that.

As for a couple years ago, I remember the majority of Arsenal fans thinking it was inevitable, not least because the year before Arsenal did the song and dance routine we've become used to. Player wants to leave, gets called in for a heart to heart, manager and player agree to one more year and agree to strengthen and really go for it, fails to happen and player leaves the following season. Vieira, Henry, Fabregas, RVP... this isn't new, Fabregas leaving was a certainty and I never heard anyone sensible say otherwise.

As for fee, it was £30mil, Fabregas didn't get a £5mil payoff he was due so it was closer to £35mil in reality and supposedly and most likely a hefty sell on clause. If he went to Utd at 25mil, ARsenal would most likely get 12.5mil, + the previous 35mil and suddenly we've gotten at least £40mil for him. Even without them selling him we would get effectively more than £40mil because there were also addons for the usual stuff, league and CL titles, he's won a few cups with them already. Which also me to the crap about this 50% sell on and how Barca would have to sell him for more, its irrelevant to Barca, without the 50% sell on clause he would have cost £40-45mil then. They end up with roughly the same effective price paid for Fabregas either way. £45mil then, or £30mil upfront and 10-15mil later on if he's sold for 20-30mil, or around £40mil if Fabregas/Barca won loads and all his addon clauses were paid.

He has outscored and out assisted two of the most highly regarded players ever in football. He was the second highest starter, only behind the keeper, in the league, the second highest scorer/assister in the squad across two seasons. He's played more at Barca in both season than he did at Arsenal in any of the 3 seasons before moving. If Utd offered its because they believe this BS media crap that it isn't going well in Barca and he'd welcome an escape route, the problem is, it is BS.

he might end up at Utd, I'd put money on him choosing Utd over Arsenal, but both with almost no chance of happening at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
The link was posted for you on the previous page.

And afterwards we get bartomeu saying:

"Barcelona can assure you we will not entertain any offers for Cesc", "It is totally ruled out, he's not for sale"

And now Barca boss Vilanova has revealed talks with Fabregas who has made it clear he wants to stay at the Nou Camp.
Vilanova said: 'Cesc has received offers from other clubs. I talked with him and he told me he wants to stay. His dream is to triumph here.
'We're very happy to have Cesc. I'm conscious that he has received offers, but he spoke to me, says he's happy, no chance of leaving.'

So although the manager is leaving I think it makes it quite clear that Fab wants to stay and be successful

Permabanned
Do you expect them to say say they are waiting for Uniteds Chief Exec to get over there to discuss the details of a possible move?

Or do you think they will deny any chance of him leaving?

Like the Rooney situation, United coming out and saying "Yeah he's leaving, we will listen to offers" it doesn't happen like that, the club/manager will always deny he is for sale.

Soldato
Do you expect them to say say they are waiting for Uniteds Chief Exec to get over there to discuss the details of a possible move?

Like the Rooney situation, United coming out and saying "Yeah he's leaving, we will listen to offers" it doesn't happen like that, the club/manager will always deny he is for sale.

It seems to be a concept that the Arsenal fans can't get their head around, after numerous times of asking.

Also the fact that Tito spoke to Cesc at the end of the season, not recently, too.

Man of Honour
And afterwards we get bartomeu saying:

"Barcelona can assure you we will not entertain any offers for Cesc", "It is totally ruled out, he's not for sale"

And now Barca boss Vilanova has revealed talks with Fabregas who has made it clear he wants to stay at the Nou Camp.
Vilanova said: 'Cesc has received offers from other clubs. I talked with him and he told me he wants to stay. His dream is to triumph here.
'We're very happy to have Cesc. I'm conscious that he has received offers, but he spoke to me, says he's happy, no chance of leaving.'

So although the manager is leaving I think it makes it quite clear that Fab wants to stay and be successful

Firstly, as has been said and discussed already, a club official is always going to say that, most likely to drive up the price, or it's what they believe, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the case. The Vilanova quotes are old I think.

If there was zero chance of him leaving, why hasn't he come out (since our offer) and declined it, Barca haven't either? Which to me implies there are some discussions taking place, and it is very much a possibility.

I too think it's unlikely, but you are obviously just picking and choosing what you want to see (or not reading it at all). He doesn't even play for Arsenal. :/

Hopefully we'll know more soon, either way.

Caporegime
United should buy Wilshire as well just to nail the coffin completely shut.

I think Fabregas will go to United. The only way it could get messy is if Arsenal match the bid. Then he has to stay at Barca or admit his reasons for leaving the last time were not entirely true and honest.

Soldato

The difference is that Rooney wants to leave. Fab has stated his desire to stay several times. I agree you get tactics involved in selling players but usually more so when their player wants to leave.

It puts the club in a weaker position if the player states they want to go. Whether the quote was before or after Utds bid, it doesnt matter. The player doesnt want to leave so unless they force him, which i highly doubt he wont be going.

Caporegime
Wrong, read the link posted.

That link doesn't say anything to suggest Fabregas was the "big signing" Woodwood, I said specifically that in the press conference in which Moyes said Woodwood flew back to sort out a "big signing" a name wasn't mentioned. At another time Moyes being asked a question and saying the guy was negotiating with Barca isn't relevant.

Unless that story says "the big signing we mentioned before is Fabregas AND he's now negotiating with Barca", its not obviously connected.

For instance he could have flown back to talk about buying Ronaldo with Real, but he's also continuing discussions with Barca over Fabregas.... just because he might be talking with Barca about Fabregas doesn't mean that was the big signing he flew back to deal with. That was my point.

Also as the rest of what I said, him flying back to go personally to Barca's president and talk about Fabregas... doesn't mean you are any closer to getting him, it could merely be a last act of desparation or simply a businessman who can't know if his counter part is playing hardball or is completely serious. Nothing out of Utd has made it obvious or likely that Fabregas is signing, they've made it fairly clear they want Fabregas, beyond that all we've heard is Fabregas saying he doesn't want to leave at all and Tito(at the time still the manager) say Barca don't want to sell him. As the president or manager of Barca I wouldn't if the Utd counter part asked for a meeting tell him to f-off, I'd do what business men do, build and grow relationships, take a simple meeting and politely tell him his chances of getting Fabregas were non existant.

Last edited:
Soldato
This all still strikes me as Manyoo trying to appease fans by appearing to be after big names - Thiago/Fabregas/Moura/Hazard/etc/etc - whilst in reality the owners aren't willing to drop the cash.

Apart from three of those that you've mentioned were according to reports, very nearly done deals not held back by money.

Plus, in addition to that its not like fans are really going to be happy and appeased by the club seemingly trying, we're not Arsenal.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did you hear the one about Rooney's wife signing a contract with John Terry?

Haha :D.

This all still strikes me as Manyoo trying to appease fans by appearing to be after big names - Thiago/Fabregas/Moura/Hazard/etc/etc - whilst in reality the owners aren't willing to drop the cash.

The owners aren't willing to drop the cash? Really? They've spent a fortune since they've been in charge of the club. Dropping cash on players has never been an issue.

Edwin van der Sar (Fulham), £2m
Ji-Sung Park (PSV Eindhoven), £4m
Ben Foster (Stoke City), £1.5m
Nemanja Vidic (Spartak Moscow), £7m
Patrice Evra (AS Monaco), £5.5m
Michael Carrick (Tottenham Hotspur), £18.6m
Henrik Larsson (Helsingborgs IF), loan
Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), £17m
Nani (Sporting Lisbon), £14m
Anderson (FC Porto), £17m
Tomasz Kuszczak (West Bromwich Albion), £2m
Carlos Tevez (loan), £5m