Salting your steaks...

Soldato
I've been using a sprinkle of Umami "dust" seasoning on my steaks recently, just a little sprinkle along with some black pepper around 2-3 hours before cooking.

The ingredients claim: "Tomato Powder, Garlic, Lemon Peels, Anchovy Powder (Anchovy, Salt), Spices, Natural Lemon Flavour, Balsamic Vinegar, Porcini Mushroom Powder ", so it's got salt in already.

Maybe I'll try just salt and pepper next time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been using a sprinkle of Umami "dust" seasoning on my steaks recently, just a little sprinkle along with some black pepper around 2-3 hours before cooking.

The ingredients claim: "Tomato Powder, Garlic, Lemon Peels, Anchovy Powder (Anchovy, Salt), Spices, Natural Lemon Flavour, Balsamic Vinegar, Porcini Mushroom Powder ", so it's got salt in already.

Maybe I'll try just salt and pepper next time.

That dust sounds good :D I'd probably eat that off my finger

Maybe it's the weather but I'm craving salty stuff

Associate
Steak was wonderful. Thin ribeye, salted for about 2 hours prior, rubbed with canola, 1 minute each side in a very hot skillet! lots of smoke, super tender.

Soldato
What is the UK equivalent of a New York strip steak?

Sirloin

I would be more concerned about the temperature of the pan/grill and the cut/source of meat than a little salt. The best steaks are all cooked at super hot temperatures to get a slightly charred exterior and are thick enough to withstand this method. Dry aged, on the bone, corn fed, 10 ounce plus gets my vote. Adding a teaspoon of salt to your 8oz tesco steak will have little to no impact.

I've just been lucky enough to eat some of the best steaks going in Vegas for the last two weeks. What most of us serve up here as a steak, the Americans would put between two slices of bread and eat as an appetiser. The size of the cuts allow for a great preparation method.

The dry aged stuff has a more concentrated beefy flavour while the corn feeding increases marbling to give the juiciness. Grass feeding gives it a more mineral taste.

Soldato
I tried this last night with standard steaks from Tesco. Salted for an hour then cooked as usual, I was really surprised at how much difference it makes! This will be my usual prep from now on.

Caporegime
Sirloin

I would be more concerned about the temperature of the pan/grill and the cut/source of meat than a little salt. The best steaks are all cooked at super hot temperatures to get a slightly charred exterior and are thick enough to withstand this method. Dry aged, on the bone, corn fed, 10 ounce plus gets my vote. Adding a teaspoon of salt to your 8oz tesco steak will have little to no impact.

I've just been lucky enough to eat some of the best steaks going in Vegas for the last two weeks. What most of us serve up here as a steak, the Americans would put between two slices of bread and eat as an appetiser. The size of the cuts allow for a great preparation method.

The dry aged stuff has a more concentrated beefy flavour while the corn feeding increases marbling to give the juiciness. Grass feeding gives it a more mineral taste.

Can't emphasize how important the size of the steak is. Almost everything sold in the UK in regular butchers and supermarkets are way,way to think to cook properly. You need something a good 1 inch thick minimum to avoid drying out the center, 1.5inches is better.

This way a medium rare and rare steak just get cooked to perfection- a nice bark with succulent juicy center.
http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/images/cook-a-steak-blue-rare-medium-welldone.jpg

Soldato
Can't emphasize how important the size of the steak is. Almost everything sold in the UK in regular butchers and supermarkets are way,way to think to cook properly. You need something a good 1 inch thick minimum to avoid drying out the center, 1.5inches is better.

This way a medium rare and rare steak just get cooked to perfection- a nice bark with succulent juicy center.
http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/images/cook-a-steak-blue-rare-medium-welldone.jpg

You're doing something seriously wrong if you're drying out the centre of your steak. Thicker steaks are a different eating experience, I keep them at most an inch thick when getting them cut.

Associate
Just posted this in the now eating thread but thought I would share here too.

I used a 28 day aged, 1.5 inch steak which I salted both sides liberally and left for about 8 hours.On first appearances the steak looked fairly dry on the outside which is part of the point. As you can see in the picture though when cooked for a couple of mins either side it was still really juicy inside.

I could definitely tell the difference in flavour and tenderness and may well have been the best steak I have had.

DSC_2483.jpg by Steves1982, on Flickr

Man of Honour
looks awesome, steak and calamari omg yes

Now in the fridge, going to BBQ it with some creamed collard greens and a slice or two of butternut or similar.

60day aged bone in sirloin with SPG rubbed in
gp2w.jpg

mbz7.jpg

Associate
Last time I was out in the states, my aunt cooked a steak dinner and used this stuff on the steaks before BBQing them:

IMG_20130724_162833.jpg

They were so awesome I bought myself this massive tub to bring home. I've yet to actually cook myself a steak with it, but have used it on other meats. Next time I have a steak, I'll use this and report back with pictures etc..

Anyone else used it, or tried any other seasoning salts or rubs?

Back
Top Bottom