Petrol fumes in tank effect starting ?

Associate
Hi

20yr old Honda Accord 2.0i

had it 17 yrs - not a problem

on Saturday - very low on petrol - filled it late on from a Tesco

its an unusual store, hardly anyone ever at the petrol so maybe old petrol as it ages (i could be grasping at straws but bear with me)

Sunday - didnt go out so its on the drive all day

Monday 1.30pm - old man is outside, he is the epitome of the evil influence . . .

i start my car - try twice, no start but turns

never happens !

he is all over me like a rash saying open the petrol tank for fumes

of course it starts just to **** me off

we'll never know what would have happened if I turned it a 3rd time but that's life as they say.

Q1) Petrol fumes the reason ? - i'd say no

If it had a dribble in the tank and say 90% fumes for a week but it was essentially full

maybe a small amount of gunge from the bottom of the tank - I wasnt redlining but lower than I like to be

Q2) As its fuel injection anyway - would that negate any petrol fume problems ?

Guess its just one of those things - today has been a bit like that to be honest

:(

p.s. just thinking - I might invest in some Redex for the tank
and get some cleaning of those injectors

Last edited:
Caporegime
Basically the OP let the tank run low, got petrol from somewhere that's unusually quiet (maybe suggesting stale fuel?).

It didn't start (first time) the next day, so his old man suggested he 'lets the fumes out' which he does and it then starts fine.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
If the vents in your tank are blocked, and the pressure is too high in the tank.. it could cause issues.

More than likely, just leaving it for a bit 'fixed it' and it's all coincidental.

Soldato
If the vents in your tank are blocked, and the pressure is too high in the tank.. it could cause issues.

More than likely, just leaving it for a bit 'fixed it' and it's all coincidental.

Modern fuel systems are effectively sealed without the engine running, there are no vents to atmosphere so it will naturally build up some positive pressure if the ambient temperature increases (and a partial vacuum if temperature decreases). Neither of these will prevent the car starting.

OP's post is extremely garbled and confusing, but I'd like to hear his dads explanation as to why there shouldn't be fumes inside the tank. The air space within the tank will normally be saturated with petrol vapour.

Soldato
20yo car, could literally be anything fuel system or ignition system related.
Fuel filter, plugs/ leads/etc..

The 'venting the fuel' thing sounds akin to the medieval practise of drilling holes in the skull to release evil spirits when people suffered from migraines!

Associate
OP
Hi guys

sorry about the rapid text

I'm using one of those keyboards with the flat keys - drives me mad

Sasso - great line

i'll look into the air lock video

thing that got me - had far hotter days with an empty tank and just by flippin luck
it happens today

rest of the time the car is great , runs like a dream

Duke - how did you remember that clip !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom